How many of you dont wear ear protection when shooting.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gun runner, Jul 8, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I dont know if this is the right forum section to put this under. I dont have any trouble hearing at all and I been shooting high powered rifles and shotguns for most of my life and nothing sounds better than the loud violent roar from a gun being discharged. :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

if you wear ear plugs, how the heck you goin hear the critters comming at you in the woods
    what u say? no trouble with beer , yep i'll have one:D
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You will pay for it later in life if you don't wear them! There are many times when I didn't wear them and I live with a buzzing/chirping sound in my head all the time! Whether you like that big boom or not, please use a little common sense and wear your earplugs!!!
  4. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

:lmao:
  5. geds

geds New Member

Ehh,......speak up! Why would I wear deer protection when I'm hunting?!
  6. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I always wear hearing protection when I go shooting, but not when I go hunting unless I'm shooting dove.
  7. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

I wear the electronic ear muffs when shooting rifles and handguns from off the bench. I have a covered shooting bench so it gets really loud under there if you do not have some sort of hearing protection on.
  8. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

What did you say, can't hear you, Quit mumbling and speak up... Did not always wear hearing protection and am now paying for it. Going to have to get hearing aids so I can join in the conversations. Guns, Competitve Swiming with ear infections, rupured ear drum, and 27 years working maintenance in an Oil Reifnery, not to mention 24 years Drag Racing. Protect your Hearing now.
  9. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

If you don't wear ear and eye protection, you're just stupid. Simple. You're stupid.
  10. mintaka

mintaka New Member

+1
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Correct

In my 30's i suffered with ear problems. It wasn't till I went through a battery of test that i found i lost some of the high's in my left ear. I have no problem hearing but knowing now i wish i would have use ear protection all the time.

If your hunting and shooting one or 2 rounds it is not going to bother you. It is the repeated abuse to your ear for no reason that you should avoid.

BTW use sun screen too.
  12. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

Always have eye and ear protection. One round or 100............Always.
  13. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I got to tell you i dont use it when hunting, even if dove hunting. But then again i dont get a real sonic boom to the ears dove hunting with light shotgun loads. If deer hunting or anything else i never use it. Then again it is only one shot here or there.

But shooting in general yea it is a must. Those darn 357 mags are especially hard on the ears. It is that sonic high blast that does the most damage.

Now i have seen some type of hearing aid that actually makes you hear things in the woods better and will stop the sonic shock when a gun is shot. But i have never invested in one.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  14. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I better start wearing them. Thanks folks.
  15. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

Check these out. Cheap protection.http://www.opticsplanet.com/surefire-ep4-sonic-defenders-passive-hearing-protection.html
  16. 22to12gauge

22to12gauge Former Guest

I absolutely wear eyes and ears when shooting. Obviously not ears when the SHTF though.

But I will NEVER wear sunscreen again. Maybe only if it is natural. The majority of sunscreens contain carcinogens that can cause melanoma and you have to seriously wear a lot of it for it to be effective. Simply eating fruit and other antioxidants can protect from sun burn. Or just cover up. I have not worn sunscreen in years and I haven't been sunburnt since I stopped. I swear I have only been sunburnt when I was wearing sunscreen.. because I didn't wear enough.. so my skin absorbed carcinogens but the lotion didn't block the sun.
  17. ka64

ka64 Active Member

WHAT?????????????????
  18. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I beg to differ because wearing no sunscreen gives you a greater risk of getting melanoma rather than wearing it.
  19. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I had serious problems with my ears as a young child.

Many surgeries and breaking technologies (I was a guinea pig) made me able to hear and live without pain.

Do NOT go without hearing protection! :mad: :mad: :mad:

If ya can't tell, I get really bunched up about the topic. :eek:
  20. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

I have a deaf person in my family and i do not hear well as result of working in loud enviroments all my life. You may think you're hearing okay, but after awhile that won't be the case. Trust me. I've spent a lot of time dealing with audiologists. Wear hearing protection.