How many of you go to estate sales?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, Sep 27, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I went to one yesterday and if I had the extra money, I could have made out like a bandit! As it was, my money is very limited right now, so I only bought a couple of items.
    The estate was that of an old man who recently died, and I was AMAZED at how much stuff this guy had acquired over the years! TONS of tools ranging from old hand tools to band saws, lathes, drill presses etc... . Also, lots of ammo, reloading equipment and about a dozen firearms. I was sorely tempted to charge a lot of stuff on my credit card, but since I just got it paid off, my conscience would not let me! Most of the items sold for pennies on the dollar, and much of it could be considered as collectible.
    As it was, I only bought some .40 cal. ammo, but I also lucked out and bought a bag full of the grease pots with the yellow caps for two bucks. One guy next to me bought a full trigger assembly for five bucks, and told me it was a match trigger which normally sold for about $400. ( It had VC stamped on the underside, whatever that means!).
    Anyway, I say all of this to tell you, I had a blast, and if you've never been to an estate sale, you should go. If you have the cash, you can find some amazing deals.
    I would love to hear some of your stories of great finds you may have come across at estate sales.
  2. ken w.

ken w. Member

I go to estate sales every week.I usually look for tools and garden stuff.There's not much gun stuff at the sales around here.I did go to an estate sale way out in the country and bought everything in the garage for $200.00.There was a Snap on roller box packed full of Snap on tools and other top end tools.I got 4 truck loads of junk and I'm still going thru it.But,there was a lot of absolute junk that I'm going to throw out.I usually spend $25.00 a week.That's not too bad.I wish there were more gun stuff tho.
  3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I went to an auction about 10 years ago at an old Western Auto store and scored a dozen boxes of 12 ga shells for about 20 bucks. There was an assortment of 6-8 shot from winchester and western. I also got three Case XX skinning knives and a Case XX meat cleaver for less than 25 bucks. There were a lot of guns and extra barrels for shotguns but people were bidding that stuff up way too high for me.
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

I don't go, but wish that I did. You can find some really nice stuff at a steal of a deal.

Art
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I try to go when i can get a chance and have some extra $$$, but it's been several months since those stars have aligned. I'm an auction,estate sale and garage sale junkie; found many great bargains over the years.

In high school, we'd often go to the local auction house as a family; I bought an entire box of fly-tying materials for $5.00; not only did I get a motherlode of materials, there was a little ring box inside that held a very early engraved zippo with the old original Boeing logo. Come to find out, it was once owned by a Boeing exec from the WW2 era. I still have the lighter, I don't think I'll ever sell it. I don't have an exact value on it, but it's somewhere in the $125-150 range from the research I've done.

Corporate surplus stores can be a good place for a treasure hunt also. I used to frequent the Boeing surplus store often, as it was only 1/4 mi down the road from the shop. I turned a fairly decent profit on the internet with resales. I had a contractor that I work with get turned onto the idea; he had a little more capitol to work with than i did. He bought an entire pallet of extruded aluminum door frames; all brand new. He paid .20 per linear foot for them. He turned around, called the manufacturer and they bought the whole lot back from him for $1.75/ft. He was hooked after that, I did create a monster with that guy. He spent most of the profits on Buck knives; he must have had 400-500 of them.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Good to hear you got a deal, too bad about the $$$ situation.

Estate sales, yard sales, flea markets, auctions. Been attending them my whole life. Thus the name "pickenup" always out pickenup one thing or another. ;)

First legitimate job I ever had, was working at an auction. I would probably run this forum out of bandwidth if I could remember (and post) all the deals/steals.

A couple of them. Bought a little guitar one time for $5. Years later, sold it on eBay for over $300. Bought a trailer mounted rotary air compressor that didn't work, for $200. After repairs (cost about $200) I got $3000 out of it. Bought LOTS of guns, passed up MANY more. Picked up a few I am going to try out, over the last couple of weekends. But for the most part, there are not too many guns for sale these days. :(

I know I was bad, and I shouldn't be telling this story, but.....

Went into an estate sale one time, and if you have been to many, you know that USUALLY there is a room (or 2) that is closed off, or signs saying, "not for sale" on some of the items.

Well, in this estate sale, EVERYTHING was for sale. Every trinket, every nick-nack, every piece of furniture, everything. Even the fixtures and curtains. No rooms were closed up, and the prices were cheap. I didn't find anything that caught my eye, and as I was leaving, in the living room with a BUNCH of people waiting to pay, I said in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear me, "Boy are the owners going to be MAD when they get home from their vacation"

People actually started laying down items, and walking out the door. Even after I said I was just kidding.

I know, my bad.
  7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I try to attend sales on weekends during the winter. Even though I may not offer winning bids, the entertainment value alone is worth my time!
  8. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

Around here, they're run by professionals, often connected with real estate companies getting ready to put the home on the market. Far too often, the stuff's overpriced.
  9. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I have not been to many estate sales, in this area things are mostly auctioned off. All my life I have attended auctions, though I rarely buy anything. I have good memories of going with my dad, he would buy an entire pallet of junk (for the one item that was a good deal!) and bring it home proudly, and my mom would start griping!
  10. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Estate sales, auctions, yard sales! I love em. Got a 1/2 diamond pin in a box of jusk from an old estate sale for 5 bucks! Just gotta love em.
  11. Freebore

Freebore New Member

A few months back I picked up three excellent condition MEC presses for $65.00 (2 Jr's & 1 Sizemaster). Sometimes I see nothing but overpriced junk?, it's just a matter of the right time at the right place.
  12. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I have been to one in my life, and that was one of a very dear freind of mine. But it was his wish that his stuff be gotten rid of in this manner, so that is how it was done. I bought quite alot of it though. But I made sure to get his great grandfathers old colt handgun. This thing was old. I gave it back to the family, I couldn't keep it in good conciensce(sp?).
  13. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Good man. Shows you've got good character.