How many Trappers....

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by OKTrap, Dec 14, 2008.

1. OKTrap

OKTrap New Member

I was just wondering since I'm new to this forum ... how many trappers we had on here?
  2. 44-40 Willy

44-40 Willy New Member

Haven't set a trap since the early 80s, but I wouldn't mind having a small trapline these days if fur was worth anything.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Just the occasional hog.

Welcome to the forums. :)

Crpdeth
  4. But Crp, I thought you preferred just to zap them with your trusty old .270! :eek::D
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Ran a trap line when I was a youngester, but not in many years. Back then we could sell the furs, and the meat, what we didn't eat ourselves.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

25-06 My Friend... But for some reason that ol' trap doesn't complain about the mud, wind and cold like I tend to after about 4 or 5 hours of fruitless hunting. :D

Crpdeth
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Another schoolboy trapper here.... many years ago.

Nowadays I'm restricted to mice and an occasional live-trapped grey squirrel from the neighborhood.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Unless live-trapping raccoons that try to steal food from around my campfire counts, I'm not a trapper yet.

I've been reading a lot about snares recently, though, and I think I'm going to try to get some rabbits when I'm back out in the country again (I'm living in a city for 6 months or so).
  9. whip

whip New Member

I started trapping as a boy in Iowa. I trapped up through college and for about 4 years afterwards when I moved to Wyoming and then I stopped due to lack of time to run traps. I started again when my son was 12 and he wanted to do some. We trapped hard until he started college then we ran traps over he holidays when he had time off. This is the first Christmas we haven't set a trap or a snare due to low fur prices and spending time traveling to my parents for a week. Its addictive and a great way to learn more about wildlife. I now spend more time calling coyotes and bobcats but hope to run a few traps later in January for bobcats.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  10. benellim1

benellim1 New Member

Hi OKTrap,

I'm also fairly new to this forum and I'm an avid trapper. Mostly coon and muskrat, with the occasional coyote, here in Indiana! I was wondering too if their were any other trappers on the forum.
  11. Longspring

Longspring New Member

I'm a long liner . Beaver , mink , cats , coyote . Pretty lame this year though , its almost not worth it .
  12. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I ran a trap line my last several school years until I left home. Looking forwards to running another one after I retire.

There's some beaver behind my house where I fish. See them most afternoons. Sure is tempting to walk up to the high water and lay in some 10" conibears....but lucky for them mine are in a barn a few hundred miles away.
  13. rivahratt

rivahratt New Member

Oh yea! Love it! I run a fox line here in VA. Manage between 30-40 Reds a year along with a few coons. Dang coyote is makeing it harder and harder each year to keep my averages up though.
  14. 38 special

38 special New Member

I trapped for muskrats,mink and foxes when I was younger. Caught quite a few "rats" and a few mink fewer foxes. I really loved trapping and was always amazed at the beauty of the fur. I felt really bad however when I found a muskrat had chewed his leg off to get out of trap that was staked. I always set drowning sets therafter or used conibear trap.
    I cant stand to see an animal suffer. I kind of got away from trapping as I got older but am real glad for the experience. foxes are really sharp and hard to get I found.
  15. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

I set the odd fox snare for a problem fox until i can get out with the gun. I check it every morning and night although sometimes i think this leaves my scent.
    Does anyone use Larson traps for magpies or greycrows? I love building them.
    Im going to build a few mink traps soon.
    We dont get paid for skins or furs over here anymore.