How many Trappers....

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by OKTrap, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Dusty, trappers barely get paid over here anymore. Fur prices are rock-bottom this year.

Skunks and raccoons are becoming a problem due to lack of trapping pressure. Coyotes too although they are hunted as well as trapped.

I've never heard of a Larson trap. What do you do with the magpies after you trap them?
  2. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Usually they are killed. Myself, i try to give them to other trappers in the area. Magpies raid a lot of game birds nests and have been hitting my chicken eggs hard lately. Grey cros are worse as they will peck out sick lambs and calfs eyes. Are they not a problem over there??

A larson trap is made up of 2 or 3 compartments. One is for your "call bird" and they others are the trap compartmants.
  3. Oldbull

Oldbull New Member

Next spring I will be running a trap line in my back yard to get rid of the tree rats. They got most of my fruit this fall so I will be getting rid of them next spring and summer. Sure do miss living in Iowa and running my trap line. The fur paid for my first few firearms plus it gave me something to add to my crockpot stew.
  4. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Does anyone know if fur prices are any better now than they were? It might be a good way to make some extra cash this winter.
  5. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

They were down this spring; the demand is very selective. I'd think next winter/spring will still be low. You could still bring in grocery money from bobcat, but I'd hold a few for later...it's bound to go back up one day and you'll be sick if you let $500 dried furs go for $200ish.
  6. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I really don't know much about trapping but there seems to be a lot of oppertunity here because of the large numbers of fur bearing animals and so few trappers.