How many use chronys?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bizy, Dec 24, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

The chrony is the icing on the cake of reloading. How many have and use a chrony?
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

No practical way to set one up if like me you get to shoot only at indoor gun shoppe ranges.

The penalty for living in a big city I reckon.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I do from time to time. Actually only once every couple of years. I only use it to see what certain loads do in my long range rifles.
  4. the morning light

the morning light Member

I thought about buying one years ago but never did. Not that expensive, maybe one of these days I may pick one up.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I don't own one, but have several friends that do, so there isn't any need for me to get one yet. Any new loads get chrony'd and often we'll use it to see what impact ambient temp and barrel temp have on the data. I'd say that better than 50% of the time, a trip to the range will have some chrony data taken. If it's just a plinking session, then no chrony. It doesn't take long to set up and gives an immense amount of valuable data; well worth the cost.
  6. Texxut

Texxut Member

I use one whenever I'm working up a new load. I don't load for velocity, I load for accuracy, but I do like to know how consistent the velocity is.
    I also like to see what I'm getting, with the same load, in different pistols of the same caliber. Or with the same load in pistol and rifle.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

I have one, use it frequently, have used it for years. Personally, I wouldn't think of working up a new load or changing components, something I've done a lot of this year, without a chrony. I don't consider it icing but a staple of reloading. I don't know how I managed to get along without one for over 30 years.
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have used mine a lot here in the past for both bows and firearms. The are a good investment for the reloader that way you can fine tune your loads for your own shooting needs.
  9. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I use one when working up loads as well. Although a Chrony cannot give you any pressure data, it can give you a little insight as to high pressure. For example, if you are loading a 300WSM with 180gr bullet and your load data lists 3000fps in a 24 inch barrel and your handloads are running 3050fps in a 22 inch barrel, odds are you are over pressure.

I also load for accuracy, but I also like to know how fast my handloads are. Speed isn't everything, but it's nice when you end up with both speed and accuracy.
  10. army mp

army mp Member

I have had a chrony for a couple years. And it will help you fine tune loads. If thinking about getting one. I bought the Beta Master. It has the Digital read out that you can set up next to you. When shooting Nice option. And if you want to get fancy. You can add the printer and Computer Hardware. I did a lot of reading before I bought mine. I have not shot the unit yet. But I have read a lot of stories of guys that have. The first thing you want to do is replace the metal rods with wood or plastic. From what I have read. Hit the Rod replace the Chrony. I also shoot Black powder over mine. And I made a Plexi-glass cover to protect it. The BP gets in it and will mess things up to. All in All I would say it’s a Great Addition to reloading and shooting.
  11. RMT

RMT New Member

I am thinking about getting one very soon.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

bizy:

If you analyze data from a chronograph as for Standard Deviation and the other measures of consistency of velocity then you soon find out that consistent velocity (low SD) means nothing. Often loads that have higher SD are the most accurate, or maybe not (??). So consistency of velocity is not a good measure to predict accuracy. Only the results on the target do that.

If you are hunting for the most velocity or to hit a certain velocity then the chronograph may be useful. I reload for accuracy. I have a chronograph, bought nearly 20 years ago, and I find little to no use for it. It is a bit fiddly to set up (you have to stop the whole range while you step in front of the firing line to erect it and align it) and if you get it wrong you hit parts and pieces of it with an errant shot. It is particularly prone to that when you shoot with a scope as there is a completely different path for the bullet verses what you see through the scope. If the day is wrong (some days are!) then the sensor has trouble "seeing" the bullet.

For me all I get out of a chronograph is bragging data. I find it of no use for accuracy reloading since almost all loads are most accurate at some velocity well below MAX (most of the time but no always). Others find a use for it but for me it was a wasted purchase and mine now finds little to no use.

But we all get to choose our toys and their accessories. My choice is obvious. Now you get to choose.

LDBennett
  13. army mp

army mp Member

Bennett is right in his use of a Chrony. I forgot the difficulty in setting up the Chrony. But I have set up my own range and effect no one. It is a Time saver if you have another guy to help line it up. I load both. For paper and hunting. As said for paper. Not much help. But for getting the most out of a particular bullet Expansion . I think the Chrony is worth the money in my case. Hunting rounds.
  14. larsf

larsf New Member

I bought my F-1 Chrony in 1987. I set a post in the ground in front of my bench to make it quick to set up. I use it all the time to check fps of factory batches and consistency of my handloads, and when opening a new canister of powder.