how much crimp is enough / too much

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, May 24, 2012.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I chronographed my bullet puller; 25fps is the speed I use to pull bullets, my fastest swing was 68fps, (which would have to damage the bullet puller if I actually hit the wood block.)

...and sorry to break it to you guys, I've again brought more evidence supporting my claim, in the way of a video.

Uncrimped Dropped Cartridge

I drop the cartridge from 4 feet and measure a 3/64" difference in seating depth. When I adjust the POI height on my fixed graduation iron sighted 30-06, I seat 3/64 deeper translating to about 1 foot at 300 yards.
    That is enough deviation to wound animals at 150 yards and up, if you don't know you have that deviation.

Then, I apply 40lbs of weight on the cartridge to show the neck tension is more than adequate.
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

There are a few things in my gear that I never drop: the rifle, the ammo, the binos, the rangefinder etc. You could apply that same standard to your gun--if it's scoped, you're probably gonna have more than a foot at 300 yards difference (if you drop it). Does that mean I should stop using a scoped rifle? I maintain all of my gear and am very careful of anybody else handling it too. I just see worrying about dropping my ammo to be a non-issue. If I drop it I'll check it. I always have a backup supply with me or in my pack or in my truck.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

am i the only guy that's hunted a private camp where they have an ammo limit for ya. I'll admit to not being an avid hunter of private camps.. but went to one last year on invitation.. you were allowed whatever yer internal box mag held, plus 1 relaod. period.. :) this a common thing? just makes me think about that ammo comment about backup ammo.. etc. I carried my backup on my belt in a sleeved elastic pouch carrier.. etc.. ( only needed 1 cartridge anyway.. but.. still.. :) )
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

WOW! What lengths you guys go to give bad advise.

The scope question was amusing... Fallacy: Red Herring The equivalent to that story would be as if I said, "If you don't crimp, you shouldn't use ammo." Ridiculous!

Let us try a scope issue that is somewhat akin to an addition to the cartridge, just as a crimp is. Something like scope lens caps.
    You don't use one do you? You can just wipe it off before you take your 8 point shot! Lens cap, shmenze cap!

You have two contingency plans specifically for that issue!
    1.) If I drop it I'll check it.
    2.) I always have a backup supply with me or in my pack or in my truck.​
    Three contingency plans if you count, "I maintain all of my gear and am very careful of anybody else handling it too."
    Sounds like a lot of "worrying" to me.
    I, on the other hand; take 3 minutes tops, to crimp. In which, there is actually no "worrying" involved... whatsoever!

Your post displaying all that "worrying" as if there was no "worrying," actually strengthened my "what if" argument way beyond I ever thought possible. Thanks!
  5. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

How do you figure that? I'm PREPARED (you can look it up on Wikipedia if you like). If I go out of state I take a spare rifle in the event of something catastrophic happening. It's not like I'm preparing for something bizarre, like a meteor hitting my ammo supply. Every round of hunting ammo is cycled through the rifle before it goes in the field too. Is that going overboard? I shoot my hunting guns frequently both to maintain proficiency and to verify everything remains sighted properly. Is that going overboard? I have expensive brass; I don't crimp or feel the need to. I can hit a prairie dog at 400 yards with that load (.300 win mag) which is IMO plenty accurate for me.

There are indeed times where a crimp may be desirable; like in a tubular magazine. I've read of cases where a crimp might be used to increase tension on the bullet to provide better performance from a particular powder. If you like a crimp by all means use one. I'm simply stating that it is not necessary for everyone.

I don't know how many times I've heard stories of scope zero changing after a fall or dropped gun. I've had it happen to me. If you hunt enough you will find that Mr. Murphy goes with you on every hunt. I personally try to remove the potential problems from my equipment that I find are reasonable. I'm sorry if you think that's bad advice.
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

sorry guys.. din't mean to rile any feathers.. just asking about crimping. i now on my bolt guns for bench rest shooting i don't need mor ethan neck tension.. but for my tube mag guns.. I realize i will need some crimp..
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Are you being obtuse as a fishing expedition?

All that preparation and YOU act as if crimping is "overboard!"
    I can't believe you think this advances your argument.

No, you're way beyond that. Did you read anything you wrote? If you actually felt that way, that would have been your entire statement... form the beginning.
    But instead, you act as if I'm unreasonable, my crimping is akin to not using scopes because they could fail. Your parting statement eludes that I am "[un]reasonable."
    No, your statements do not coincide with the indifference you purport.

a.) Straw-man: Your bad advice is advising others to do opposite of your first sentence.
    b.) Crimping is not "[un]reasonable." You yourself have three contingency plans in case your seating depth inadvertently changes.
    c.) What is "[un]reasonable," is your opposition to others actually "remov[ing] the potential problems from [their] equipment."
    Bringing more ammo does not "remove the potential problems."
    Checking ammo does not "remove the potential problems."
    Watching people handle your equipment does not "remove the potential problems."

Soundguy, nothing about your post started anything, don't worry about it.
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  8. mikld

mikld Member

Boy this thread has turned into a load of sh*@!. Sounds like a couple old hound dogs growling over who has the least fleas...
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ok guys, lets try to remain civil with each other here.
  10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I hope you're talking about mikld; because I've only argued points intelligently and effectively.
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Im talking to you and everyone else.
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow, see what happens when you guys start drinking stuff with lots of sugar in it. Something always gets broke now, doesn't it.:D
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

It is time to agree to disagree. Sometimes, the only logical thing for either of you is to chuckle and move on.

Pops
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And embrace the phrase "To Each, His Own"
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

16. mikld

mikld Member

Thats your opinion only. My post was simply an observation...