How much do you really need?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ShawnDow, Oct 20, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

So.. I have been thinking... (ouch) :eek:hmygosh:
    I have a small cash of ammo.. who doesn't? :AR15firing:
    But really.. for all that I have, its not like Im going to be holding off the whole world.. :eek:
    I have come to the conclusion, and packed, one of my mil-surp 30 cal cans... with 3 boxes of .40 S&W.. which will fill (and give me a few extra rounds) my 5 mags for the Hi-point carbine (10 rounds ea.), and 5 mags for the Springfield XDM (16 rounds ea.) One box of .32 ACP for my MAB Model D (2 mags @ 8 rounds ea.) and 10 strippers of 7.62X39 for the SKS...
    Now in all actuality one mag (for each gun) and stripper are not in the can.. they are at the ready...
    But I just cant fathom keeping all of them (the mags) stacked to the hilt in a ready mode... Although I have a lot more of the .40 in a .50 cal mil-surp can... and more -06 (for the savage 111FC) than I know what to do with... I cant see myself being the only one holding the fort... I have the notion that if I had to.. the .30 cal can is quick and easy to move.. (the .50 cal can is heavy as all hell ...) and with small groups combining forces... if one had to bug out..
    Or.. since i'm already grabbing the .30 cal... just bring the rest.. Or am I blind siding myself and I need a lot more? and start digging "pill-boxes"?
  2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

I think you need to assess your particular situation in terms of defensive/offensive strategy. That will guide your tactics, etc. Your suppy of guns, ammo, and anything else will depend on that. Strategy consists basically of Ways, Means, and Ends. Don't just think about it. Write it down, revisit it and revise your plan as necessary.

If your only recourse is to bunker up, I guarantee you will lose at some point. As has been noted, "a cave is a grave".
  3. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

thats a scary quote!
    ill have to make that assessment plan!
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i agree.

if you ar ein a area that you will have to 'bug out' from.. then 5 million rounds under the floorboard wo't doo you much good.

if you live in an area you can bug in.. then stock the castle!
  5. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Yes it is. But it's also reality. The Japanese learned that on Okinawa. Read Che' Guevera's book, and others. Be invisible. Avoid any encounters with whoever might be an "enemy".

There was a Marine on Wake Island that survived with the clothes on his back for 3 weeks after the Japanese had secured the island. Wake is very small. He did it by hiding in the sand, and making sure nobody knew he existed. He ate what he could find or steal. Finally surrendered and was hanged.
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I'd get 1,000 plus for each weapon. Even more for .22lr. The disasters that might come will choke off ammo supplies and make ammo so expensive that it can be used like money. If you have more than you need then you will have more options.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

How much do you really need?

1 more than my enemies
  8. soundguy

as cheap and easy to store / small size of 22lr, coupled with it's ability to take game or offensive/defennsive ( though somewhat limited ) capabilities.. any survival plan should include a 22lr of some sort.

heck. a 22lr and 10k rnds of ammo will weight near the same as 200rnds of regualr rifle ammo...
  9. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    My ammo cache isn't so much for the end of the world as it is for me to be able to ride out the changes in ammo availability and prices. Right now I'm at 1000 rounds for each handgun, and anywhere from 500-3000 for each rifle (excluding the .22LR).

My goal is to get to 5000 for each handgun, 10,000 for my AR, 5000 each for the rest of my rifles, and 1000 for the shotguns. The .22LR I'm planning on getting to 50,000 rounds.
  10. soundguy

none of us need ammo if the world ends.

I want some ammo if civilization ends though. ;)
  11. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

offensive tactics yeah makes sense. I do not move to good anymore so it is night ops for me- quite and slow past any of my known passive defenses;)

As for ammo picture worse case scenario- ammo is NOT being made for civilian use anymore. :eek:
  12. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Never heard that about Wake. My father was a Raider- he did not go on the Makin raid but he did the 39 day "long patrol" and was in the first assualt wave at Bougainville. James Thomas Ament F company. I saw his name when they had the Raider Museum in Richmond VA.
  13. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Now I LIKE THAT:D
  14. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I guess I look at this differently than most or all of you.

I have a good stash of ammunition for the SHTF, but I'm also a lifetime shooter and as such will shoot a lot of ammo over my lifetime.

I'm sure most of you have noticed that over the last 10 years the price of ammo has gone up tremendously, so the more I stash away now, the less I will have to buy in the future at a guaranteed much higher price than today.
  15. soundguy

the price differential in old vs new is the dividend it pays..e tc..