How much do you really need?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ShawnDow, Oct 20, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I live in a small community... even smaller when the snow birds and terrorist.. oops tourist leave.. about 4k in the winter months.. 10k when we are in full swing of the summer... I have Lake Huron to my East... and not too many roads lead to us.. one maine running N-S and one that goes W.
    I figured being a smaller community (hoping) we will pull our heads out of our buts and become the "Family" we actually are (some how we are all related in this town) We are a bunch of hunters, fishers, and farmers here... Id have to say 1 out of 5 don't have a gun and we have at least 5 to each one that does... We reload... come on we are hunters... and we know the woods....
    I realize wally world and the local grocers would be raided... but if we pull it together, we could make wally world and the grocers our place of prepping food we get from the land... who the hell would want to take over the Tawas area any way?

I guess what I really meant to ask.. is can one depend on or convince ones small community to become a small defended "civilized" compound. Or will it become one small group watching their own back from another?
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i agree completely.

My close friends and I have already formulated a BI/BU plan with multiple locations ( primary, sencondary.. etc.. based on location, climate, resources, nature of the problem.. etc.

we got a plan and are not afraid to use it.

as has been said.. it's hard for a single person to hold out.

ya got to sleep sometime..

however.. you want to stay small enough so that your locale can supply you with enough resources.. even if on the move, if you deplete an eara faster than you move thru.. then you have an issue.
  3. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

At the risk of being called Obviousman, I'd add don't wait till the last minute. This is a big country, and there will be plenty of warning signs for weeks or months, even years. Just pay attention and connect the dots. Unless it's some end of the world solar flare or something, in which case it won't make any difference where you are. :eek:
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I hauled around 10K of ammo and all my guns clear across Canada, 20 years back on my way to Alaska and they never even opened my trailer door. Most of it was 223 fmj that went for $179/thou back in late 80s; no regrets not even from the wife.

I now got enough reloading supplies to supply all the hunters in my community for generations; laugh if ya want. My grandkids will still be killin caribou with the supplies I bought long after I'm gone. I like that thought.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

same here ;)
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Depends on who you plan on doing battle with.
    Defending your home and family against the low life scum that will initiate rioting, looting and burning after the elections is one thing. Defending your Country against the Obama Brown Shirts, LEO and US Military is something else entirely.

Being from Michigan ammo should be high on your list, but HEAT should be on the TOP of your list. When the SHTF and the power goes down, all the ammo in the world ain't gunna keep your a$$ warm in those Michigan winters.

Water=no problem
    Food=minor problem
    Ammo=no problem if you prepare and stock up
    Heat=MAJOR PROBLEM
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you start now with just one of your neighbors, you can prepare for just about anything. Never show them what you have, but show them what they can have. There really is safety in numbers! If I were you, and I wanted to see if I could get this going. I would start by just talking to the folks that live around me. Find out if they think there is a catastrophe coming, or not. Don't waste your time on those that think there is nothing that's going to happen. Work with like minded people.

Have a cook out, invite a neighbor, or two, just to get things started. Have some one else host the next meeting. Any excuse to get together is a valuable tactic for recruiting volunteers and building a team. Home meetings allow community members to come together to share their concerns, and join together, to work for progress. Within the room, on in your yard, you already have all the tools you need to enact ideas on a local level. Every attendee can contribute time, resources, or leadership abilities.

Your house/yard meeting will help you identify your leadership team. The people that are committed enough to come to your house meeting should be considered potential leaders of the initiatives being implemented.

As a house/yard meeting host, invite people from your neighborhood to participate in a discussion about your community, pressing needs for a SHTF seniro, and the potential solutions.
  8. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

True fix fortifications are good with enough people if the opposing does NOT have the capability to put HE on your positions. Of course you could go 50 or so feet underground to protect yourself from artillery and mortars.

Interlocking two person Depuy fighting postions are the way to go they should have grenade sumps.
  9. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

I buy as much as I can because I don't believe it will ever be cheaper and I don't want to quit shooting.

It's not the zombies that scare me it's the Bernank ;)