how much is enough

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by oscarmayer, Jan 13, 2011.

1. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

as i was doing my daily checking of the couple forums i belong too i saw a question. " is 10 rounds of 45acp better than 15 rounds of 40 s&w for home defence" and to me it begs the question . where do you live.... bagdad ? are most gun owners that paranoid ? when did shot placement become secondary to spray and pray ? though i have carried a browning hp that was only while in service of my country and it was only in hot zones where the extra rounds gave me peace of mind. but back in the "world" if i feel the need to arm myself outside the confines of my home i carry a da revolver or somes times a single stack 9mm. in my home in the night stand i have a colt saa in 45 colt ,and i dont feel undergunned , what am i missing ?
  2. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

You don't shoot USPSA do you.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

this was a post/ question involving how much is enough for home defence not organized shooting matches
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I agree with you Oscarmayer as far as home defense goes. Then again I'm not a gang banger or drug dealer. That's about the only ones I would think would need more firepower than 6 rounds for home defense.

When it comes to CCW though I just don't know because I can imagine running into a situation where you might need more than 8 rds without reloading.

As far as .40 vs .45 goes, my preference is .45. I owned an XD 40 for awhile and while it was quite reliable I personally wasn't as accurate with it as with either of my 1911's. That was probably just me. Matt Dillon I'm not.

Doing a quick comparison between the two rounds on paper I would think that the .40 would be the more potent round. That is using the formula e=1/2 mv(2), if that is the applicable formula. But I'm just not convinced the .40S&W is all it's cracked up to be. Talking to LEO's recently it seems they agree and round for round prefer the .45acp.
  5. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Look you asked so here's my two cents.

How much is enough ?

That isn't up to you, it's not up to me, it's certainly not up to some politician or bureaucrat in Washington. That's up to any person who chooses to exercise their second ammendment right.

NO SIR, I must submit the premis of your question suggests YOU are falling right into where they want us to go. "Yea, I see your point mabe we don't need that many bullets." BULL

No More Compromise. Shall not be infringed ! Me personally I only need one round. But if I want two I don't wanna have to justify it to anyone.

Now this answer may not be the way you wanted the dialogue to go. But I simply wanted to point out where it could go.

Recpectfully,

me.
  6. cutter

cutter New Member

A+++ That is how we all should feel!!! It is up to me to decide and not some bureacrat!!! Could not say it better!!!!
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Whoa! I don't think that's where he was headed at all.

He generally only has 6 to 10 rounds with him at a time. Personal preference. He was wondering if other people thought that this preference left him underprepared.
    "Need" has nothing to do with liberty. You're totally correct about that. But I don't think it's dangerous to talk about what would be an acceptable minimum for a given situation.

As to the original question, I think 6 rounds is a good minimum. That gives you three guys (assuming doubles).
    That said, I don't really like handguns for home defense, but that's at least partially because I shoot long guns much, much better. In my home, the 870 is king.
  8. Haligan

Hello ! (tap, tap, tap) Is this thing ON ? ! ?:rolleyes:
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i wasn't headed there at all. personally i dont care how many round anyone uses. nor do i want it regulated if you want a 33 round magazine for your glock by all means you should be able to have one and use it. my point was more of a commentary on what someone might need rather than want. do you need or which is better 10 rounds of 45 or 15 rounds of 40 to defend your home was the original question asked on another forum and it stuck me as odd.my point being with extended capacity magazines some people have forgot some basics counting on putting a massive amount of lead down range at the target and forget the main relief in a gun fight is shot placement. isn't this also why 3 shot bursts became favored over the full auto it eliminated the spray and pray mentality
  10. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

For me, 6 to 7 rounds of 12g 00 buck is adequate.
    For handgun it's 15 rounds of 10mm.
  11. Haligan

Ahhhhh, mabe I'm just reacting to the media spin. My bad.:eek:
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

oscarmayer this is a great thread.

for me, i think a 45 with 8 rounds is plenty for home defense.

that said, i carry a glock 22 40 caliber, loaded with 16 rounds. mostly because when i was looking for a full size gun i already had a holster and a few extra mags

but for general home defense i see nothing wrong with using as you mentioned a single action revolver. it should be plenty enough firepower for any home invasion or defense purposes. this is considering that after the first several shots most would be burglars are going to flee.

now if the assailant is not a burglar but a felon on the run and willing to do anything to stay out of jail then the story doesnt change. 5 or 6 shots is plenty, given that you're going to hit your mark at least once if not every time.

another situation though that i think about is not just home defense, but shtf. in a situation where you were trying to fend off a mob of people i'd want as many rounds as possible.

when i go on trips or any distance from home i make sure i carry a reload but most of the time i dont while carrying a glock. but if i was carrying my 642 5 shot 38 i'd carry a reload.
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Yeah, I addressed it.

The conversation could switch from anything to taking away gun rights... but we're still going to talk.
  14. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

i usually keep a 357 or trusty 12ga with slugs for home defense figure either of them will either do the job or buy me enough time to break out more firepower if need be for an angry mob for carry out i just have 9mm kel tec and 10 rnds depending on time of year i might carry extra mag
  15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i prefer a handgun over a long gun for home defense. 1 you can keep the handgun on you at all times. 2 you can more easily open doors. 3 it's faster to raise a handgun or bring it from behind your leg then it is a shotgun.