how much is enough

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by oscarmayer, Jan 13, 2011.

1. obxned

obxned New Member

How often do you suppose someone who has been forced to defend themselves has said "Gee, I wish I had fewer rounds"?
  2. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Greetings from NJ!

Here in NJ carrying outside of my own property is out, however, for home defense, I have (currently the only pistol I own) a 1947 Colt Official Police in .38sp. 6 rounds, extras in a small tupperware in the nightstand drawer,(any body know where to get speed loaders for this gun?). That will have to do for now. When I think of home defense I think more of home invasion as opposed to a burgular, burgulars, I think, are more interested in going in when no one is home and taking your sh!t, home invaders slam in while your sitting on the couch relaxing with a beer, or while your asleep. More brazen, usually not one guy, and I feel, with much more malicious intent. Is 6 rounds enough? I really don't want to test 6 rounds of .38sp against 2,3 or 4 guys on meth busting in my door. I would much prefer .45ACP, 13+1 and another mag right next to the gun! (I am looking to get XD or XDm .45).
  3. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

The days are coming when 10 rounds WON'T be enough to defend your home and family, night time or not.

Right now, most criminals who break into a house do NOT want to confront an armed home owner.

However, I believe, the time is coming when you will have several armed, hungry, "looter mentality" losers come after home owners in force. Yes, in your friendly neighborhood too.

2 + 2 still equals 4, and the economy going to crap and the dollar going to crap will produce roving bands of violent, hungry, armed people moving from the city to a suburb near you.

Better prepare now.
  4. doug66

doug66 New Member

If it comes down to me pulling out my SP101 and 5 rounds of Black Hills 125gr 357mag don't save my hide, then I was dead anyway.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Looks like you opened up a can of worms! While I don't think you intended to suggest that a minimum was OK, I, like some of the others don't think there should be a min. Carry how ever many you want. Personally, I think that 5 rds of .38+P is enough in some situations, it won't be enough in others. IMHO, as you drop down in caliber, I tend to want more ammo in the gun. 7 rds. of .45 is OK, but not in .380. If I have to carry a .380 I want a double stacked mag in it. Like you I think that shot placement is more important than how many rds. I have available. But with the smaller rds. I want multiple hits on target. For multiple targets that requires more rds of ammo to be available.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Well sir the answer to your questions depends on who is mad at you and what kind of shot you are. You might need those extra rounds if your adrenaline, poor light and multiple targets present themselves. I myself am quite happy with the 6 rounds of 38 special LSWC 158 grains in my 357 mag revolver that lays in easy reach on my nightstand. From my bed to my bedroom door I shouldn't need more power than that. If you make me get on my feet than I am picking up Mr. Winchester or Mr. Mossberg, both loaded and both handy by the door. Neither carries 30 rounds or even 10 rounds but how many rounds of #4 shot at 20' or closer are you willing and able to take before you call it a day and go try to bother somebody else.

Ain't what you got but how you use it. I am a rifleman first and a competitive pistol shooter by training but a shot gunner inside my house. My personal preference may be M1 Garand but practical wins over preference. 45 and 9 MM stay in my gun rack along with several other fine guns I would prefer for battlefield conditions.

I hope that messed up your mind some, I am a rascal and I intended to do just that because my answer is to forget both 40 and 45 and get yourself a pump action shotgun and a case of shells with the load that makes you feel better. All that said and done I would take the 45 because I know what kind of shot I am and I believe a few bigger holes is better than a lot of little holes.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011