1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

how much is enough

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by oscarmayer, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Goin back to the original question though, It is personal preference. Its not a about security its personal preference. Its just like the question "Which is better for home protection" There are some folks that cant feel secure with a Howitzer Pointed down the hall. Its as Haligan said, Its not how much ammo we prefer to hold, or use in our firearms. The real question is How much are we as a people gonna take before we put out foot and tell the Politicians and Doo goooders 'Enough is Enough"
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

my faith has been restored. though i believe we as gun owners should own whatever we want includeing 33 rd magazines for our glocks i was seeing a trend. unless, you have the latest and greatess firearm that was able to hold massive amounts of ammo some felt under-gunned. for sure there might be times when a 15 plus rd mag is in order but for home defense ???? with the idea that is something you MUST have seemed odd to me. sure i'm a old fart and set in my ways and most of my choices for defensive situations or potential defensive situations are guns designed long before most readers here were born, with one exception a glock in 357sig. but the glock wouldn't be my first choice or even my 6th choice. as fine a weapon as it is. i just personally don't feel any more comfortable because i have 15 rds stuffed in a magazine than i do with 5 rds in my colt saa ( hammer on empty cylinder) and my question was just a probe into the mindset of those that feel only a firearm that holds 10 to 33 rounds is required for proper defensive situations. now if and when the shtf will the colt be the gun i grab nope that would be my hi-power and m1a1 and if the wife chooses to follow me into the unknown she'll be toteing my rock-ola carbine which she laid claim too. she thinks it's cute that it was made by a juke-box company ....
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I am comfortable with the capacity (8 rounds) that my 1911 holds. 9 if you count one in the chamber.

For me, 10 rounds is plenty. But I don't really care if the next guy wants to carry a 50-round drum mag attached to his pistol.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, I reacted exactly the same way.
    The anti-gunners would LOVE to hear that the consensus of gun owners feel a six shot wheel gun is sufficient for all legitimate home defense purposes; it would play right in to their agenda of further restrictions.

It's dark, I just woke up, I don't have my glasses on, and four guys just broke in. (Not at all unreasonable; some years ago, this is the EXACT number that came calling at 3 AM here after I left for work. Confronted while still outside by my wife with a .44 mag and my doberman snarling at the open window to our bedroom, they decided discretion was the better part of valor) Is the nine rounds in my 1911 sufficient?
    Well, there is a definite chance of a firm maybe -
    But a nice 30 round mag sounds better -

We have to be VERY careful not to let ANYONE get the idea that real 'need' has anything to do with the second amendment.

As Edgar Friendly said in the movie 'Demolition Man':

You see, according to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal?
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Terry,

I see your point but I don't believe our opinions on the subject have any effect on the gun grabbing community. Discussions of this sort have gone on forever and nothing we say here will have any effect one way or another.

Certainly there could be unusual circumstances where having a higher capacity weapon would be desirable for home defense, but the defense of the home, it's occupants, and it's contents is only one of a number of reasons for the second amendment.

The primary reason for having the right to keep and bear arms is to empower the people to resist tyranny. At the very least the people are entitled to own the latest and best state of the art long guns and hand guns.

mark
  6. obxned

obxned New Member

How often do you suppose someone who has been forced to defend themselves has said "Gee, I wish I had fewer rounds"?
  7. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Greetings from NJ!

Here in NJ carrying outside of my own property is out, however, for home defense, I have (currently the only pistol I own) a 1947 Colt Official Police in .38sp. 6 rounds, extras in a small tupperware in the nightstand drawer,(any body know where to get speed loaders for this gun?). That will have to do for now. When I think of home defense I think more of home invasion as opposed to a burgular, burgulars, I think, are more interested in going in when no one is home and taking your sh!t, home invaders slam in while your sitting on the couch relaxing with a beer, or while your asleep. More brazen, usually not one guy, and I feel, with much more malicious intent. Is 6 rounds enough? I really don't want to test 6 rounds of .38sp against 2,3 or 4 guys on meth busting in my door. I would much prefer .45ACP, 13+1 and another mag right next to the gun! (I am looking to get XD or XDm .45).
  8. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

The days are coming when 10 rounds WON'T be enough to defend your home and family, night time or not.

Right now, most criminals who break into a house do NOT want to confront an armed home owner.

However, I believe, the time is coming when you will have several armed, hungry, "looter mentality" losers come after home owners in force. Yes, in your friendly neighborhood too.

2 + 2 still equals 4, and the economy going to crap and the dollar going to crap will produce roving bands of violent, hungry, armed people moving from the city to a suburb near you.

Better prepare now.
  9. doug66

doug66 New Member

If it comes down to me pulling out my SP101 and 5 rounds of Black Hills 125gr 357mag don't save my hide, then I was dead anyway.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Looks like you opened up a can of worms! While I don't think you intended to suggest that a minimum was OK, I, like some of the others don't think there should be a min. Carry how ever many you want. Personally, I think that 5 rds of .38+P is enough in some situations, it won't be enough in others. IMHO, as you drop down in caliber, I tend to want more ammo in the gun. 7 rds. of .45 is OK, but not in .380. If I have to carry a .380 I want a double stacked mag in it. Like you I think that shot placement is more important than how many rds. I have available. But with the smaller rds. I want multiple hits on target. For multiple targets that requires more rds of ammo to be available.
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Well sir the answer to your questions depends on who is mad at you and what kind of shot you are. You might need those extra rounds if your adrenaline, poor light and multiple targets present themselves. I myself am quite happy with the 6 rounds of 38 special LSWC 158 grains in my 357 mag revolver that lays in easy reach on my nightstand. From my bed to my bedroom door I shouldn't need more power than that. If you make me get on my feet than I am picking up Mr. Winchester or Mr. Mossberg, both loaded and both handy by the door. Neither carries 30 rounds or even 10 rounds but how many rounds of #4 shot at 20' or closer are you willing and able to take before you call it a day and go try to bother somebody else.

Ain't what you got but how you use it. I am a rifleman first and a competitive pistol shooter by training but a shot gunner inside my house. My personal preference may be M1 Garand but practical wins over preference. 45 and 9 MM stay in my gun rack along with several other fine guns I would prefer for battlefield conditions.

I hope that messed up your mind some, I am a rascal and I intended to do just that because my answer is to forget both 40 and 45 and get yourself a pump action shotgun and a case of shells with the load that makes you feel better. All that said and done I would take the 45 because I know what kind of shot I am and I believe a few bigger holes is better than a lot of little holes.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011