How much powder to use?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by moose_shooter, Apr 29, 2003.

1. moose_shooter

moose_shooter New Member

I've recently aquired repros of both a Colt Navy and a New Army revolver. The pistols came from the previous owner with caps, balls, powder and several different size powder flasks.
    I can easily weigh the charge that each flask will "drop". So my question is, how much powder do I want to use in these .44 cal beasties? I have found all sorts of info on the loading procedures, etc, but no one seems to list a range of recomended charges. I'm looking forward to trying these out this weekend, so any help would be appreciated.

MOOSE
    (new to BP)
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  2. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Powder

Moose,if memory serves me right you will want to use 25 gr. However do not hold me to this. Someone who is a whole lot smarter than I, will surely come along and answer this for sure.:D
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Yup -

Around 25 gr of FFFG, or Pyrodex Pistol is about right for the old Colts.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Get a copy of the Lyman Black Powder loading manual. There are many loads listed there.
  5. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

Moose Shooter:
    I've just got a repo of the 1847 Walker Colt :p and am shooting 25 gr of BP with a .451 round ball. The book indicates a range of 22-30gr for this shooter, but I find the 25gr loes very well for paper punching.
    Good shooting...
  6. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Welcome to TFF Redneck2000 hope you post often, and enjoy the site.
  7. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

moose-shooter -

Pyrodex pistoll pellets in 44 and 45 caliber come in 30 grain sizes, so I would imagine that at these would be fine to use if your pistols are in good mechanical condition.