How much rimfire ammo is enough?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by henry0reilly, Feb 25, 2010.

?

How much rimfire ammo per gun should have?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2010.
  1. A brick is a fine

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. a case

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. 5 cases or more

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  4. ammo, what ammo? I lost all my guns ....

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

If you want your kids and grandkids to enjoy shooting the 22's you love so much, how much is enough ammo to give them along with it? Ammo may become very expensive, taxed out of reach, banned, or any combination thereof.

Are you investing in ammo for the next generation?
  2. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

I have about 8,500 rds. of rimfire tucked away that I bought back before the Y2K scare; (850 shorts, 6,000 LR, 1,250 WMR, & 250 WMR shotshells)

I haven't needed to purchase (factory) ammunition in a decade, w/ the exception of reloading supplies. My son is 20 & isn't interested in shooting, so my cache will probably wind up for sale, should I pass before it's all sent down range.

*Quote; ".....how much is enough ammo to give them along with it?"

IMHO, 1k rds. per firearm.

SR
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Here is the way I look at it, my own opinion.
    There for a while when the .22 ammo was hard to get, and it was here in my area, and what you could get was out of the ball park on the price.
    Before all that mess started, I'd almost let myself run out and then go and pick some up.
    {THAT HAS CHANGED}

Even though its now eaiser to come by and at decent prices now, anytime I go to but .22 ammo and they have the good one's like Federal's, I buy what I can afford to get at the time, every time. When I go out to shoot 22's, it's nothing to go through a 1,000 rounds.
    Do I have the room to "stockpile" .22 ammo, not really, but I make the room.
    I mean there for a while, heck, I couldnt even get any for the fact that others beat me to it. Now that its back out and more readiably to get, I'm getting what I can anytime I can. I think that the with the way it was there a short time back, it can and probably will get that way again...and to me it was a scarry feeling going to buy .22 shells at Walmart and then not having any and telling me thast they didnt know when they would have any in!
    IMO, you can never have enough now!
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't understand this "X amount of ammo per gun" thing. Let's say I've got 10 22s. By the "you got to have a thousand rounds a gun" mentality, I need to have 10,000 rounds. The, let's say I'm out and about one day, and I see another one, and it jumps off the rack and walks over and slaps me upside the head and says, "You. Take me home. NOW!!" So, now I have eleven 22s. OH MY GOD!! That means I've only got 909 rounds per gun. What am I gonna do?????:rolleyes:

There's no such thing as "enough ammo", of any type. If for no other reason - it keeps going up in price. Buy as much as you can afford. If, after paying all your bills, you have a hundred bucks every week, buy a brick. If you only have the hundred bucks every month, they buy a box or two. Do it all the time. Let it stack up. It ain't gonna spoil.
  5. Zane71464

I couldnt have said that any better Alpo, I tried! :eek:
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

My eldest will be getting all my firearms when I croak. The guy makes 3 times what I do. He can buy his own freakin' ammo - LOL
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I couldn't agree more with this statement. [Emphasis added by me]

It isn't going to become stale !!!!! One of my grandsons got two deer this past season using some .30-30 Winchester ammo that was nearly sixty years old. :)
  8. mikld

mikld Active Member

The debate over how much is enough is, to me, what your mind set is on the future availability of ammo. If a threat (not rumors but actual loss of ammo availability) looms then a million rounds may be enough. Otherwise, just more expensive and sometimes hard to get ammo you gotta research your area and purchase accordingly. I couldn't find any .22 ammo in my area about a year ago, but I knew it was comming, so I upped my stash to around 8 thousand rounds. If I thought ammo wouldn't be available I'd have purchased/begged/borrowed/stole as much as I could get my hands on.
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i buy 22 ammo almost every week,any time i see it on sale and its decent ammo i purchase it.i probably have 50 boxes of 500 rounds and i would say a couple hundred 100 round packs.it goes from hps to cb caps,solid points to high velocity i dont have that many 17hmrs but i keep buying when i can find a good price.to me its money in the bank,if i dont shoot it all ill sell it in the future.we have no idea what politics will do to our rights.your call.......old semperfi
  10. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Me thinks you got my answer confused w/ the title to the OP's thread. His question was;

*Quote; ".....how much is enough ammo to give them along with it?"

My opinion of 1,000 rds. should be enough to get ea. Grandchild started (& hooked! :D).

Unless the OP's Grandkids are adults, I should think 1k rds. of 22LR would cover @ least 1 or 2 trips to the range..... :rolleyes:

I agree w/ you Alpo..... THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH!! :D :D :D

SR
  11. Laufer

Laufer New Member

There now seems to be a real shortage of good (rust-free) ammo cans in which to store it long-term.

Having enough ammo to avoid feeling vulnerable during any future panics is barely enough.
    For my ancient Savage .22, about 2,000 rds. (remains untouched) is just enough.

A total of 5,500 rds. of 7.62x39, 3,000 .303 and 2,800 8mm Mauser: barely adequate.

The newer Remington .22 ammo (in green/yellow boxes) causes very frequent gas blow-backs, and now completely avoid this brand, as other types never do this in my old rifle.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I gotta go along with everything that is in Suicide Rides post. I just don't know how to do all that fancy quoting and such.:eek:
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I gave my nephew 200 rounds. Since then he has used up about 500 rounds of my ammo, hasn't touched his yet. I'm not sure I'm doing this right.
  14. Zane71464

I think he's thinking ahead! :D
    But I know the feeling, my family comes out and brings their 22's and some ammo, but we get to shootin and I end up breaking out more to feed the addiction!
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You might not be, but he seems to have a handle on how it works. :p
  16. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You can never have enough money, guns, especially 1911's or ammo.
  17. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

When I get to the point when I think I have enough ammo I will let you know but I haven't reached that point yet.
  18. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Should we hold our breath?:D
  19. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

No don't hold your breath just tell me where to find it!
  20. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

How much? 1 pallet.