1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

How Much Swearing Can I Do ..........

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by JohnHenry, Nov 3, 2012.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

...... Before I get in trouble with the admins ?

The county that includes Chicago on Friday approved a tax on firearms to help pay the healthcare costs from gun violence, the first major U.S. metropolitan area to impose such a tax as a form of gun control.
    Under the plan, Cook County, Ill., will impose a $25 tax on each firearm sold. The tax is expected to raise $600,000 in revenue in 2013.

With Friday's vote, the nation's second most populous county with nearly 5.2 million residents becomes the first major U.S. metropolitan area to impose a tax as a form of gun control, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The Cook County board of commissioners voted 9 to 7 to approve the firearms tax.

Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, who proposed the handgun tax, had earlier this week abandoned an additional proposed tax of 5 cents a bullet because the tax in some cases would have exceeded the price of ammunition.

Preckwinkle said that 670 victims of gun violence had been treated by the county's health system last year. The average cost per patient was $52,000.

There have been 443 murders in Chicago so far this year, surpassing last year's total of 435 and 22 percent more than in the same period a year ago, according to Chicago police.

Taxes on buyers or sellers of guns or ammunition have been proposed but failed in six states, including California, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Tennessee has a hunting-related 10-cent tax on sealed packages of shotgun shells and cartridges that applies to sellers. The money is used to support wildlife resources.

Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, has called the Cook County proposal another scheme to punish law-abiding firearm owners and dealers. He said it would prompt people to purchase weapons elsewhere.
  2. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

Makes perfect sense. Those of us that purchase firearms legally get to pay for the ones that get shot by, normally, illegaly owned firearms. This is no different than those of us who work paying for the slugs that don't so they can have healthcare.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

If you take out the innocent and leave the gangbangers do die, I say that they'll save much more than the estimated $600,000 a year from the moronic tax.

Let's say 450 were shot in gang related activities or shot while commiting a crime, that's a shade over $23million to be saved ! ( Less about $90,000 for funeral expenses, I'll figure $200 to pay someone to dig a hole to stuff them in )
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Now I have to go out of cook county to buy my guns. We have a Cabela's right by my house. It's a few blocks inside cook county. Right at the border of cook and Kane county. This is real bad news for them. She tried to get a law passed that would charge $.05 tax on every bullitt sold in cook county also. That would have closed every gun shop in the county. I am sure thats what she wants anyway.

This is just the start. Its $25 today but in a few years it will be $500. Thats what they did to cigarettes.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I do get to voter for some of these crooks next tuesday. Guess what...
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My favorite sight was Chicago in my rear view mirror. I had to keep my guns hidden under lock and key and come back to Wisconsin to shoot them. It's funny because when I lived in Wisconsin before moving to Illinois I used to go to Chicago and Waukegan to shoot matches. Guess why I'm back in Wisconsin and living in a little hut in the woods. I can step out my front door and shoot today and nobody cares, don't need a FOID and my ammo is cheaper.
  7. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

When are they going to impose a tax on automobiles dedicated to medical care for those injured in wrecks?