How Often Do You Clean Your Gun?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by user_error, Jan 2, 2006.

?

How often do you clean your gun?

1. Every single time you shoot, even one shot

58.7%
  2. After a good 100+ rounds

32.6%
  3. When it starts sticking and jamming

3.3%
  4. When my hands turn black just picking it up.

5.4%
  1. user_error

user_error New Member

EDIT: To elaborate... how often do you deep clean/field strip your gun?

1. Every single time you shoot, even one shot
    2. After a good 100+ rounds
    3. When it starts sticking and jamming
    4. When my hands turn black just picking it up.

Me, mostly just after around a hundred rounds.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  2. cec

cec New Member

I am in the "every time you shoot" category. I never know how long the gun will set before I shoot again. It is also easier to clean when it is fresh. Finally, I do it as a safety measure.
  3. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I just leave mine on the front seat of my car and roll the windows down when i go through the car wash. :rolleyes:
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Wow, a long time ago I got into a BIG argument over this topic!

But even though I STILL believe most people clean WAY too often and most guns are worn out or buggered up by too much CLEANING and detail stripping than from FIRING, and from my IPSC days I learned that at least most 1911's and clones malfunction more when CLEAN than (a little) dirty, I have to confess that most of my shooting now involves commie bloc surplus that I'm SURE is corrosive, I at least run some WWII bore cleaner down the bore and wipe off the bolt face every time I fire my milsurp...

...plus my ML rifles get cleaned even if I shoot once...

BUT my shotguns, pistols and newer (post 1898 :) ) get cleaned about once/year or 1000 rounds whichever comes first!

My IPSC days were a routine...shoot 300 practice rounds Monday, Wednesday, Friday, disassemble/clean/inspect/reassemble Friday night, shoot 2-300 rounds Saturday, with at least 50 rounds selected at random from the "match" ammo, and shoot the match (50-150 rounds) on Sunday, and do it all again the next week. "Shoot it DIRTY" was the gospel at least back then (mid-80s)with a .45 on match day....

I mean, do you change your oil on your car EVERY day?

Do you clean your air filter EVERY day?

Do you wash your car EVERY day?etc., etc.,etc.

Shooting is what that piece of machinery called a gun was DESIGNED for, if it can't handle a little dirt and gunpowder residue, it's too tight for me!
  5. user_error

user_error New Member

Hehe. I was at the range last week, and there was a guy with a semi-auto assault rifle that was so dirty it fired 2-4 shot bursts--he finally wouldn't shoot it for fear of LEO's hearing the fire.... he hadn't cleaned it for years!
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Every time it's shot....However cleaning may only be a dry patch and a little Hoppes in the bore depends on the # rounds and the last time it had a complete cleaning.
    Autoloaders get the most attention Marlin 60's WIn 190 M1 Carbine
    get more attention
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  7. polishshooter

Way to go, User....

Now every hilljack with a $75 SKS is never going to clean it again just to see if that happens to THEM. :)
  8. user_error

user_error New Member

I hear ya. If it's military issue, and I can't drag it through the mud then piss down the barrel in the middle of a firefight and jack a round every time, I dunwanit.
  9. user_error

user_error New Member

USER_ERROR! CONTRIBUTING TO THE DELINQUENCY OF CORNPONE MORONS SINCE 1981!
  10. polishshooter

User, I hear you!

I remember when I shot an assault course during an IPSC sectional match about 1985 or 6, and about a half hour before my time for that part, it POURED like a monsoon...

There was a little tunnel you had to crawl through at the end, and everyone was trying to figure out whether to holster, or keep it out and crab through it on "3."

The few shooters before me went through OK on 3, got a little muddy, but came through OK. so my turn comes, and I'm more worried about jumping this low wall in the mud, but that works OK, so I'm running toward the tunnel, coolly reloading at the same time making sure I'm on safe, I hit the tunnel, diving down to catch myself with my left hand...and that hand goes skidding out and I'm plopped face down in about 6-8"" of mud with my right hand and .45 COMPLETELY in the mud.

The last three targets had to be engaged prone UNDER a wall at 10 yds, about 10 feet past the tunnel, so I come out of the mud and tunnel like a beached walrus on all 4, plop on the mat and... I HAVE NO SIGHTS, just a glob of mud from the rear sight all the way to the muzzle!

I just point it in a good "Rollover Weaver" and blamblam-blamblam-blamblam. Mud was flying EVERYWHERE, mostly over my face and glasses,

The good thing is after the first round the front sight cleared itself :) but by then my glasses had all the mud! After the RO cleared me, he said those were my best targets I shot in the whole course X-A X-A X-X! He said I should patent it as "Sight Brown!"

You gotta love JMB, even after I get done chopping up his GREAT design, the darn thing goes boom even AFTER I bury it in mud!
  11. user_error

user_error New Member

Heh heh... great story :)
  12. cec

cec New Member

Very interesting point polishshooter. I agree that a gun should be able to function with a normal amount of dirt/grime, but to elaborate on these points:

I mean, do you change your oil on your car EVERY day?

Do you clean your air filter EVERY day?

Do you wash your car EVERY day?etc., etc.,etc.
    ------

I may not do those things everyday, but then again my car is very unlikely to fail to function when I need it to if I do not do those things (except the oil part, even then I check once a week).

However if I decide to not clean my pistol on a regular basis, then it is more likely to fail when I need it. I have used pistols that haven't been cleaned in so long that the slide can hardly travel enough to load the next round. Once cleaned, there was no failure.

Cleaning after every firing gets me into the habit of cleaning on a regular basis, otherwise I will forget to do so until the next time I use the gun. I am a forgetful sort :D

Like 22WRF said, the cleaning may just be a quick bore wipe if only a few rounds have been fired, if a few hundred have been fired (typical day at the range for me) then I will do more in depth cleaning.

I consider cleaning part of my maintenance routine for my guns, much like having an oil change is part of my maintenance routine for my cars.

A few minutes cleaning and making sure that the pistol is lightly oiled is small price to pay for a functional gun.
  13. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

I clean mine every time I come back from the range............within two (2) days.
  14. polishshooter

Yeah, cec, I guess I do that too...

The problem is really the definition. I don't consider running a patch down (up?) the bore and wiping it down "cleaning."

To me "cleaning" involves either field or detail stripping. I guess I've seen too many guns "bubba'd" by guys who shouldn't be allowed near a screwdriver.

Or else how many .45s have YOU seen with the little circular scratch on the frame that shows the numbnut who owned it didn't even know the proper way to reinstall the slide-stop after field stripping?

I guess I agree, wiping it down, adding a little oil, running a patch or swab down the barrel, SHOULD probably be an every use thing.

But I still maintain STRIPPING it after 50-100 rounds is a waste of time, and a good way to wear it out or damage it!

Just my ever humble opinion... :cool:
  15. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I clean centerfire firearms after every shooting session. I do not clean the bores of .22 rimfires. Just wipe down the outside and oil action lightly