how often should i clean my 22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 775barber, Oct 11, 2012.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Many rifles including 22 have the barrel ruined by excessively cleaning them the wrong way. That is, using a steel rod, stainless steel brushes, way too strong of a homemade copper solvent, and using the rod from the muzzle end rather than from the breech end. The common damage is from a steel cleaning rod used from the muzzle end. A muzzle guide helps if there is no other way than to clean from the muzzle (lever gun, some autos and pump guns and others) but a pull through cable like the OTIS, is still better yet.

Pull through "rods" (actually a plastic covered wire cable like OTIS uses), the correct solvent left in the bore for no longer than the instructions direct, and only nylon or brass cleaning brushes will not hurt the bore.

The only negative about cleaning the bore after every shoot is that some people think the bore shoots best fouled. I have not seen that in my experience. I often shoot strings of 100 rounds starting off with a clean and lightly oiled bore and have not ever seen a difference in accuracy from the beginning to the end. No one shoots more accurately than Bench Rest shooters and they clean often during a match. But your experience may be different(?).

LDBennett
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Wow I've seen a LOT of difference. It depends on the rifle. Remember those BR guys are shooting with very tight chambers and bores and it takes a lot less to cause problems from fouling. A number of top barrel makers (including some BR barrel makers) suggest not cleaning the barrel that often because it removes the lube your bore needs to stay accurate. For example I found this comment on barrel maker Lilja's web page:

"Match quality bullets have a wax coating on them that aids accuracy. It may take 10-50 shots to "lay" a good coating of it down in the barrel and using solvents will only remove this desirable wax coating."

Well (and this only applies to you "ignorant folks" - everyone else can ignore this) it's easy enough. It's all that pure ignorance energy. It's powerful stuff. Sometimes it can work to your favor but usually it doesn't. So be careful about being so ignorant while cleaning your bore. You could rip right through the side using a toothpick too hard if you aren't careful. Again, it's the ignorance.

Of course I realize that the non-ignorant out there know that it's really hard to wear out a barrel with a nylon brush and a carbon fiber rod. It's the people using hard steel rods and stainless steel brushes all hooked up to a high speed drill that really wear out their barrels quick. And believe it or not I have seen people do exactly that. But since you're ignorant and all you won't need to worry about this. It's different for you. Watch out for those toothpicks. Even touching the barrel with one that happens to be hanging out of your mouth while you're shooting can spell instant disaster for your barrel. Why it's liable to blow right up in your face if you do that!
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  3. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

CJ56 I would never have thunk of using a High speed drill ... thanks for the idea... lol.:) Cliff
  4. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

What he said-:)
  5. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Good data I will add to my TECH documents:)
  6. markfh

markfh New Member

I'm in the camp that doesn't clean 22's very often. Here's a target from last year. At the time the Winchester 52C hadn't had the barrel cleaned in almost 2 years. Unfortunately family and work has kept me from doing much shooting this year but other than wiping the bolt it still hasn't been cleaned.

Attached Files:

7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice shooting Mark, now clean that barrel and see what/ if any difference there is. That target will make a nice benchmark to compare. Post up the results if you like the idea, I think it would be very interesting.
  8. markfh

markfh New Member

That's the plan. Just waiting for the right combination of weather, work, and family allowing me to spend some time at the range. Luckily the range, Bayou Rifles on Eldridge, is less than 10 minutes from my house.

Got everything ready to go.

BTW Thanks for the compliment. It's a great old rifle.
  9. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Wow mark, there's no way in heck I'd clean a bore that's shooting like that. My experience is that if I get one shooting that well then clean it then it doesn't shoot that well for a long time after that.
  10. 775barber

775barber New Member

Thank you all for the info
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I clean mine almost every time I shoot them. I know I don't need to do this but I enjoy cleaning them. My 22's seem to shoot about the same clean as fouled but my 9 mil semi needs a round or two after cleaning to be accurate.
  12. lilmule

lilmule New Member

Mere wipe of the feed ramp if semi auto every 50 rds or else it will start jamming,total cleaning for me about once a month.That latter should suffice for a revolver.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012