How old and what is the value of my shotgun?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by donavonmaxwell, Dec 11, 2011.

1. donavonmaxwell

donavonmaxwell New Member

I was recently given a single barrel,12 gauge shotgun.It is an H and R 30" shotgun. On one side of the back metal(in front of the walnut stock) the number 1908 is stamped into the metal. The serial number is: A485581
    How old is it and what is the value of it?
    My 78 year old father's Father gave it to him....and my Grand-father's Father gave the gun to him. So,I have a shotgun that my Great-Great-Grand-Father owned!!!! I know it has to be old,I just can't seem to find any info about it.
    Please!!!! Somebody help me!!!!
    Thank you,in advance,and God Bless you!!!!

Don Bess
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

donavon,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your shot gun is a MODEL 1908. That serial number was, most likely, used in the late 19teens to very early 1920's - this being an extrapolation from the known serial number range. There are no currently available production records. That Model was first made in late 1908 and was marked with the "1908" up to 1931-32 when the receiver began being stamped as "No. 8 STANDARD".
    Value depends upon condition, as they have little collector interest. Lowest RETAIL value would be $30 -$35 for a parts gun - up to around $150 for a pristine EXCELLENT condition piece. As a heritage piece with family history going back to your Great Grand Dad, it is priceless.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  3. donavonmaxwell

With this gun being as old as it is,would it still be functional?
    And,if so,would I be able to make the barrel shorter(up to,say 18" - 20")
    Thanks for helping me with the info,Don Bess
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Don,
    I can't examine your shotgun from this distance so I'm not qualified to tell you if is functional or not. If you have suspicions - take it to a gunsmith for an evaluation and while at it, have him check the chamber depth to see if it will handle 2 3/4" (modern) cartridges. If all is OK - you'll want to keep the loads in the mild, target range - NO 3" cartridges and stay away from high velocity buckshot - no slugs either.
    Gov't says a shotgun cannot have a barrel less than 18" in length and overall length must be over 26" - unless registered, etc. With those restrictions do you still want to cut the barrel? If so, cut it - make sure it is 18" from tip of muzzle to the standing breech - with barrel closed, measure down the barrel.
  5. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

If it was your Great Grand Father's gun please keep it in as good of shape as it is and continue to pass it down within the family. Buy a cheap single barrel at a gun show an take your hacksaw to that gun.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Why anybody would want to hack a family heirloom no matter how little its worth is beyond me.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum Don can i see a picture of it?
  8. donavonmaxwell

Indeed,I was not thinking clearly.....I won't mess with it...I am honored that my father,who is dying of Alzheimer's,gave me the gun.I shall keep it as it is and remember my Father and his,using it to hunt rabbits.
    I really want a nice .223!!!!
  9. donavonmaxwell

I'll try to get a pic posted as soon as possible.....AHHHHH...... I love America and I love the rights we have here.....God Bless our great country and,especially,the 2nd Amendent!!!!
  10. whirley

whirley New Member

I have one that someone cut back to 26 inches, therefore no choke or open bored. Great on grouse in the thick slashings where a shot at 25 yards is a long shot. I've used old "DEADLY" for many years with #8 trap loads. Matched up with a close working springer spaniel I've had many great days in the field.