How old is a Stevens 12 ga. dbl-barrel?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gunnovice, Sep 26, 2010.

1. gunnovice

gunnovice New Member

I recently inherited a J. Stevens Arms Co. double barrel, 12 ga., serial #H15825. This is an old gun that has seen a lot of use. Much of the bluing is worn off. It was repaired by a gunsmith so that it is operable but he warned that the barrels are hae thinned and it shouldn't be used much. It will be a display gun only. I'm sure it is not worth much, but would love to know its approx. age.
  2. 199er

199er New Member

"Stevens" shotguns were produced under various "Stevens" names as follows;

... Founded in 1864 at Chicopee Falls, MA as "J. Stevens & Co".

... In 1886 the name was changed to "J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co".

... In 1916, the plant became "New England Westinghouse", and tooled up for Mosin-Nagant Rifles.

... In 1920, the plant was sold to the Savage Arms Corp. and manufactured guns were marked "J. Stevens Arms Co." This designation was dropped around 1948, and only the name "Stevens" has been used up to 1990.

Since your 12 ga is stamped "J. Stevens Arms Co" it appears to be have been manufactured between 1920 & 1948. I couldn't pinpoint a definitive date of manufacture. I'm not sure I could even if I had the model number of the shotgun to go with the serial number as record keeping was not always accurate.

I have no idea what the value of this shotgun may be, perhaps other forum members may have an general idea.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. gunnovice

gunnovice New Member

I now have the gun so have updated info. There is no serial #, what was given is a part number stamped on the wood & metal hinge piece below barrels. Right side of receiver has "J. Stevens Arms Company Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A. -patented April 20, 1915-". The left side has "Stevens"" followed by a goose or duck flying in profile over what appears to be a swatch of marsh grass below. It has a small circle just past the hinge pin with the letter "I". There is NO number in the circle. It has a 28" barrel. Not so concerned with value as I am trying to verify model and at least ballpark age.