How old is my Iver Johnson?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bartender33, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Bartender33

Bartender33 New Member

[​IMG]Looking for help in determining the age and caliber of an Iver Johnson revolver I inherited. It is a 6-shot and has the serial number H86248. I was actually hoping to be able to fire it, if possible, so any advise on what caliber and grain would be appreciated. Barrel length is 4".

Thank you.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF.

Your pics don't show, but when I copy and paste the url they do: http://leopold33.tumblr.com

It's a large frame hammer third model made in 1931, with the optional "Perfect" hard rubber target grips.

Are you sure it's a 6-shot? It might be the angle of the pic, but looks like a 5-shot cylinder.

A 6-shot would be .32 S&W Long caliber, a 5-shot .38 S&W caliber.
  3. Bartender33

Bartender33 New Member

Thank you "HRF" for the info......Yes it is definitely "6 shot" (see pic) Do you think it is worth shooting? I know my father carried it back in the early 60's when the neighborhood was having alot of break-ins. But I never actually saw it shot at a target. If so, what would you recomend? I doubt it would be very accurate. Thank you again !!!

Attached Files:

4. hrf

hrf Active Member

Assuming it's mechanically OK, you can fire it with current .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long ammo.

(Do not use .32 ACP/.32 Auto, which will also chamber)