how old is my s&w .38

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 2 guns, Dec 8, 2011.

1. 2 guns

2 guns New Member

just bought an unfired s&w model 10-6 in the box with paper work and cleanig rod in the blue cardboard box.ser. # 2d42xxx.can anyone date it for me and give approximate value?

thanks,
    2 guns
  2. Model195Fan

Model195Fan Member

Clearly 1977. I don't know values very well, so I would guess $300-400, but I could well be wrong. It might be more, and it's certainly something I would rather have than a new gun costing more. The folks at the S&W forum could probably give you a better idea of what one would go for. Being NIB is certainly worth something.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

32nd Ed. of "THE BLUE BOOK..." has 100%/NIB at $595.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I've been watching the prices of the Smith revolvers lately at the local shows and I would expect to see your gun priced at +/- $550.00 in my neck of the woods. I recently purchased a Nickel Model 19-4 almost NIB for $550 and a Model 27-3 in the same condition for $600 just to give you an idea of prices here. Your gun for sure will not go down in price and is a great addition to any one's collection.
  5. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

2 guns-

How bout a pic or two?? I purchased a 10-6 last March at a local gun show that is in 90% + condition w/ a Safariland basket weave leather holster & leather pistol rug for $390 out the door. I love the gun, it has a great trigger and is accurate. Mine dates as a '77 also and has the 4" heavy barrel w/ nice S&W target grips. Shoot that sucker and enjoy !!
  6. Joanleezach

Joanleezach New Member

I bought the same revolver last month for $350 and it is in good shape and has been reblued, maybe someone can tell me what a Colt Commando 38 special is worth, there are NO serial numbers, but on top of the barrel is Colts ptfa Hartford Cn USA, under that is PT Aug 5 1884, July 4 1905 Oct 5 1928, the Colt Commando is on the left side of the barrel under that is 38 Special, ther is a number 8 on the left side of the frame to the left of the hammer
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The Colt Commando does have a serial number. It is stamped on the frame and visible when you open the cylinder. If it truly does not have a serial number then the original serial number has been removed, which is a problem.