1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

how old is my s&w .38

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 2 guns, Dec 8, 2011.

1. 2 guns

2 guns New Member

just bought an unfired s&w model 10-6 in the box with paper work and cleanig rod in the blue cardboard box.ser. # 2d42xxx.can anyone date it for me and give approximate value?

thanks,
    2 guns
  2. Model195Fan

Model195Fan Member

Clearly 1977. I don't know values very well, so I would guess $300-400, but I could well be wrong. It might be more, and it's certainly something I would rather have than a new gun costing more. The folks at the S&W forum could probably give you a better idea of what one would go for. Being NIB is certainly worth something.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

32nd Ed. of "THE BLUE BOOK..." has 100%/NIB at $595.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I've been watching the prices of the Smith revolvers lately at the local shows and I would expect to see your gun priced at +/- $550.00 in my neck of the woods. I recently purchased a Nickel Model 19-4 almost NIB for $550 and a Model 27-3 in the same condition for $600 just to give you an idea of prices here. Your gun for sure will not go down in price and is a great addition to any one's collection.
  5. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

2 guns-

How bout a pic or two?? I purchased a 10-6 last March at a local gun show that is in 90% + condition w/ a Safariland basket weave leather holster & leather pistol rug for $390 out the door. I love the gun, it has a great trigger and is accurate. Mine dates as a '77 also and has the 4" heavy barrel w/ nice S&W target grips. Shoot that sucker and enjoy !!
  6. Joanleezach

Joanleezach New Member

I bought the same revolver last month for $350 and it is in good shape and has been reblued, maybe someone can tell me what a Colt Commando 38 special is worth, there are NO serial numbers, but on top of the barrel is Colts ptfa Hartford Cn USA, under that is PT Aug 5 1884, July 4 1905 Oct 5 1928, the Colt Commando is on the left side of the barrel under that is 38 Special, ther is a number 8 on the left side of the frame to the left of the hammer
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The Colt Commando does have a serial number. It is stamped on the frame and visible when you open the cylinder. If it truly does not have a serial number then the original serial number has been removed, which is a problem.