How "practical" is a .40 cal AR-15?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by cajuntec, Sep 12, 2009.

1. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Never really had a strong desire to purchase an AR-15 before. A couple of fleeting moments, and then a change of heart - but I never really had a reason that I could justify owning one.

... until I saw that Olympic Arms makes one in .40, which is my favorite pistol caliber. That got me wondering, and kinda wanting.

But I also notice that the factory AR-15 in .40 uses "modified" magazines - I think from an Uzi. Hmmmm... I don't know if I want to mess with modifying mags every time I want an extra one.

Also, would the .40 be practical in a AR platform?

All the best,
    Glenn
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Pistol caliber carbines have been around for a long time. H&K MP-5, UZI use 9mm, the WWII Thompson used 45 ACP the Germans had a machine pistol that used 9mm in WWII as well.

The AR-10 shoots a .762 rifle round. I would think it would be more cost effective to take a current pistol round carbine and adapt it to fire the 40S&W. Sort of like the modifications Glock made to the G-17 and called it a 40 cal with the model 22.
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Well, it's probably more practical then a 9mm. :p
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Probably not a bad idea. My uncle always swears by owning only one caliber to simplify things :D.

Something to keep in mind is that the much longer barrel will increase the power of the 40S&W. A .40 from a 16" rifle is not equal to a .40 from a 4" handgun.
  5. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

It would be very practical, except that the company that makes them has
    promised to make reliable magazines available and failed to do so.
  6. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

Certainly practical, if you want to fire a .40 out of an AR-15.

For a (all too short) time, HK had an MP5 chambered in 10mm. I liked it quite a bit. BUT.....

Just my opinion here, but if I'm gonna carry a rifle/carbine it'll be chambered in a rifle cartridge. 9mm and .40 are fine in a pistol, but if I have to carry something the size of an AR-15, then I'll take advantage of its ability to fire a larger round.
  7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Plus one here.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

it has a barrel, a trigger, and fires bullets.... How much more practical could you get?? Especially if you have a .40 cal pistol and need a quick handling companion for it...;)

The Bushmaster carbon-15 9mm is a neat toy as well. I like firearms that can hold a ton of ammo and spit it all out on target without recoil. Especially ones that can do it through a supressor, provided you posess the proper paperwork...;)
  9. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I own one that is chambered in 10mm so if you want it, buy it. The 10mm Ar shoots great and I do see a much improved performaance of the 10 mm round in a longer barrel;.. Add on top that it is not as loud as a 10 mm hand gun, it is fun to shhot.
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ewww...just like in the aliens movie! :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  11. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

[​IMG]
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

that looks pretty cool. kinda like something off that game 'Halo' or 'Gears of War"
  13. artabr

artabr New Member

I have a buddy that has a AR set up in .45acp. It uses 45 cal Uzi mags which are getting to be a PITA to fine. Fun gun to play with, but like some of the others have said, I'd prefer to have a standard AR that I know that I can depend on first for business. Later on get something more exotic to mess around with.

Art
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good point art. Really thinkin on it real good and serious. I think thats exactly why i have a 1911. If the SHTF and Im at home when it does, the 1911 will get me to my AR, and the AR will get me to my spare mags and hopefully by the time my spare supply of ammo runs out my wife has more ready for me or the situation is done and over with...
  15. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Never really had a reason? Practical? Do you know who you're talking to?