How Times Have Changed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BobMcG, Jan 24, 2006.

1. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Those Born 1930-1965!

TO ALL THE KIDS
    WHO SURVIVED the 1930s, 40's, 50's, and 60's!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and
    NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because ....
    WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.
    And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
    They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I'm one! Born in 1960!
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

'58!

And I STILL think and always said that bicycle helmets are going to lead to the DOWNFALL of our society...

And how about a "Cherry Bomb" and the Maxwell House can? :cool:

Anybody remember "Apple wars?" Or feeling your heart beating in your throat the FIRST time a car actually STOPPED after you chucked one at it from the bushes? (Oh God, PLEASE don't let them tell Dad!) :eek:

Throwing the BIG rock out onto the pond to see if the ice was thick enough for hockey? WITHOUT helmets and shinguards?

Knowing that you rode your bike IN THE STREET, WITH traffic?

And somebody running in the street was probably up to no good?

And playing "Punch Bug" on road trips?

Skipping school on the opening day of deer season, or trout season April 1st, or Northern Pike season May 1st to go fishing with your DAD, and having the "Excuse Police Teacher" smile at you AFTER YOU TOLD HIM THE TRUTH because he knew your family so he stamps your pass "legal absence" so you DON'T have detention? :)

Drinking beer, in college at 18, or in the Rathskellar, at 19 sharing a pitcher with the Chairman of the Physics Department????

Getting pulled over by a cop for a bad taillight after closing a bar and because you are NICE and HONEST with him he gives you a warning about the taillight? And that's ALL?

You know, maybe they WERE the good old days....
  4. 1949 here, so old the physicists consult with me when they have questions about the Big Bang. :D

Somehow we managed to survive all those perils without damage. Whatever would we do without warnings on new windows that caution the homeowner that he might fall out if not careful! I kid you not, there's one stuck to the windows in my kitchen as I write this!
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

1935 here. So old my youngest daughter told her teacher in 2nd grade that she would have the answer to her question about Ben Franklin since her Daddy was old enough to have been his friend!!

How about those cherry bombs in a rural mailbox?? We didn't know anything about "Federal Property" rules.....

We had several crab apple trees in the neighborhood. Same scenario only with home-made slingshots and those handy sized ready made ammo suppliers.

Had to crank the phone for an operator, or just to make it ring for anyone on the 24-party line, until they got mode wire/cable up.

Shooting water pistols from the rumble seat of the "A" as you rode down the street in warm weather.

Taking that same "A" out on the ice and chasing the skating whip with the car.

Just a few that came to mind.....
  6. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Yep, I'm a Charter Member of the Old Pharts Club. Marlin, you've got me dated, but not by much.
  7. flopshot

flopshot New Member

1955 here.

can i claim a mental disorder because had to practice air raid drills by going to the basement in elementary school? :eek:

i just realized something !!! that must be why i have two glocks ! :D

keep your Xbox... gimme a good o'l chestnut fight anyday
  8. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I'm a survivor (1938)
    I even have kids that are survivor's :D
  9. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

dangerous things we did

It's amazing that my group didn't have any serious injuries.

In the spring would have "spear" fights with dead horse weeds. Pull the weeds up out of the ground, shake most of the dirt off them and throw them at each other.

Once in the fall we had a walnut fight at the local conservation club. A couple of us in the boat rowing around and a couple on the bank.

If I were to see kids doing either today, I would demand that they stop. (come to think of it, I wasn't all that fond of either at the time)
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  10. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Those were the good old days, how did we ever make it, 1958 here.
  11. user_error

user_error New Member

One of the biggest reasons stupid people are roaming about, suing us and ruining our fun, is warning labels. Poison and dangerous objects are there for two reasons--the job they were designed for, and to cull the weak and stupid. The advent of warning labels (oh gee, don't drink muriatic acid?? why not?) is the time stupidity and bad parenting was excused, encouraged, protected and promoted. Down with warning labels!
  12. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

Darn, I missed by 1 year, 1966. But I too had no vcr or other similar stuff when I grew up. I don't even remember a remote control. One of my favorite childhood memories is when I was about 5 years old and we played with those bb guns that shot the yellow rubber bb's. I had a pump shotgun. Wish I still had it now. A lot of people are surprised that I can remember that far back and I hope to never lose that memory. I would like to lose the memory of falling off my bike and my hand going into a big pile of dog doo doo though. Funny how you remember the less fond moments too.
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Remote? I remember the remote control and I was born in 1963.

*I* was the remote control!
  14. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

This photograph has been dubbed, "Remote Girl"

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/shootlow/remote.jpg

Edit: The image is a bit too risque for display on a "family friendly" forum. I changed it to a link. -- SoMo
  15. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

Gotta git me one a dem remotes :D :D :D :D