How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Re: Building and customizing your 1911 grips

Carl, Thats some great looking wood working you do there.
    I'm curious, would it be difficult to make grips for other type handguns?
    After buying several over the past years, I always thought if I would ever take the time that it might be something to think about!
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge and great craftsmanship work!
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Hi Zane.

You ask about the difficulty of building grips for other guns. It greatly depends on the type gun you are referring to. If the grip panel is flat on the inside and you have a frame to fit to, then it is not difficult. On the other hand if there is a lot of inletting on the inside of the grip then usually special tools are required to do this type work, and having the gun in hand is a must.
    You must have the time and interest to devote to a project like this, but the end result is very rewarding.
    I know you have more questions, so I invite you to call me or email me, but a call would be better, that way I can get a feel for what it is that you are interested in. 228 255 0822. I am usually home full time except for running a few errands every now and then. If I am out just leave a message and I will get back to you. My work shop is attached to the house with a breezeway and I have a phone out there, that's where I am most of the time.
    Thanks for your interest. Looking forward to working with you.
    Carl
  3. Woodnut

Yes the Lace Wood is very nice and a pleasure to work with. I did not have any problems with irritating skin nor did I notice a nose burning smell. Usually if a wood is going to bother me I have a burning sensation in my nose. I would love to see some of your guitars if you have pictures. I can only imagine the beauty of them.
    Thanks for looking.
  4. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

What would a set of oak or black walnut grips inlayed with something like a feather medallion run?
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

How is the step drill modified? I want to try to make some grips for mine as I love woodworking but am not very good at it but it is as fun as re-loading. I was trying to figure how to make those holes. I was thinking a drill bit and a forstner bit but I now see the light. Just dont know how to modify that bit. Are they for sale?
  6. Woodnut

No I don't sell the bits, but will alter one upon request.
    TheGunClinger, I think we have discussed this by PM. I just wanted other readers to see my answer.
    Thanks
  7. TROB

TROB New Member

Sweet! thanks for the pics
  8. Woodnut

Thanks TROB, maybe I could build you a set sometime. I really like the KOA.

I should have some more pictures of some African Rosewood soon. I think it will be pretty nice to look at also. Of coarse in my eyes, all wood is beautiful.
    Keep checking the thread for more shots.
  9. Woodnut

For those of you that have been following this thread. Take a look at the new sticky at the top of the forum. This thread will explain in more detail as to how the grips are made.
    Thanks for looking.
  10. Woodnut

To all my fateful views.
    After a lot of thought, I would like to keep the Sticky: mainly for a tutorial type thread. I will answer all the how to questions in the Sticky:. You may ask your questions on how do you do this step or whatever here, then I will quote it and post it in the Sticky:
    Thanks to all viewers.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  11. Woodnut

I still need help with a name for the new Texture of mine.

So far I have suggestions of,

Gatorback
    Cracked Earth
    Pebbles
    Pebble Rock
    Armadillo
    Wallyrock--------just now thought of this, since my last name is Wallace.

I would like to have a few more suggestions before I decide, I may even take a 5 day poll with a few of the names.
    Thanks for you suggestions.
    Picture of texture is below.

Attached Files:

12. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Wally-AKA-Wallace,

That new texture is very nice, different and easy to look at like eye Candy. A name, "Wood Rock," comes to mind as it looks like rock and its created from wood.

Also, it reminds me of chopped peanuts so, "Wood Nut," comes to mind. The grip is really, very nice, who wouldn't be proud to have that set on their 1911. The design reminds me of BatMan, very cool. So, from where do all these unique ideas come from? Do you go sit on a mountain top and wait for a revelation?

Outstanding work, the market is going to like this, betcha, Betcha!
  13. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Thanks for posting the pics of these latest grips on a gun... I really like them.

Out of the choices you have listed, I probably like cracked earth the best, but gatorback is right up there.

Your cracked earth name made me think about Badlands National Park... so maybe you could call the pattern Badlands.

Attached Files:

14. hotsights

hotsights New Member

pkcgbifaid,

You have a beautiful way of describing your thought about a name. Very nice picture and it does remind me of Woodnut's new tecture.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just thought of another one for them carl, "scorched earth" like in the desert when a watering hole dries up and the ground cracks from the intense heat. Kinda goes alongn with the same thought as cracked earth...
  16. Woodnut

Thanks JLA for the suggestion on the name. I would like to have 8 to 10 names to pick from, then I will pick 4 and do a poll.

Check out the Sticky: Building Step by Step to see another tool that I use very often.

Thanks for looking.
  17. Woodnut

Well I almost have the names for the poll. Thought I would get more suggestions than I did, but I have enough to run with it.

I did some more of the Texture today on a set of Camphor Burl that I had in stock. The Camphor has an orange peel look that I think is neat, I could fill it with a finish but it looks nice as is, for now anyway. This is my design also. Let me know what you think. I hope to post some more tools soon, if I ever get time to build them.
    Thanks for looking.
    Carl

Attached Files:

18. Woodnut

The poll is now open for you to vote on the new name for the texture.
  19. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Although I like the name "Wood Rock," now it seems like everytime I look at the new tecture, I get thirsty. So, JLA's "Scorched Earth," gets my vote.
  20. Woodnut

Here's a couple of new ideas I have been toying with for some time now. Please tell me your thoughts on these.

The Display Stand pictured is made out of Red Cedar, it has cushions on the bottom to prevent table top scratches. The upright part slips into the empty magazine opening and supports the gun in an upright position.

The Grip Screws are SS with 24ct. pure gold plating with 12 lines engraved on each screw.
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files: