The Firearms Forum banner

How to customize your 1911 grips

Tags
192K views 706 replies 105 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
In this thread I will try to tell you how I do my work. I will be the teacher so to speak. I am sure there are a lot of you out there that know more than I do, but I will share my ways, as well as ask questions on your ways. I can always learn, you never stop learning. I have been customizing for many years and now am ready to give some of my tips to others. Below is a picture of a set of Cherrywood that is just plain beautiful. I stippled a design on them and finished with Tru-Oil. I will post new pictures for your enjoyment in the future. ENJOY THE BEAUTY.

See less See more
#277 ·
Here are a couple of sets that I just finished. Thought I had better post them before I ship, or I will forget to post them.

BTW, Sam, if you are reading this, I will ship your grips tomorrow, 11/23/10, sorry it took so long. I will let you post the pictures, when you get them.

The Buckeye Burl is as near mirror image as you will ever see. They are really book matched and a beautiful set of grips.

The next set is Cocobolo. They came out of my inventory. Had a customer that wanted a Navy Medallion with his last name hand carved underneath it.
As usual, comments are welcome.

Enjoy!

Attachments

#279 ·
Here are a couple of sets that I just finished. Thought I had better post them before I ship, or I will forget to post them.

BTW, Sam, if you are reading this, I will ship your grips tomorrow, 11/23/10, sorry it took so long. I will let you post the pictures, when you get them.

The Buckeye Burl is as near mirror image as you will ever see. They are really book matched and a beautiful set of grips.

The next set is Cocobolo. They came out of my inventory. Had a customer that wanted a Navy Medallion with his last name hand carved underneath it.
As usual, comments are welcome.

Enjoy!
I like them both Carl, but I think the Buckeye Burl is my favorite of the two. I love that grain in the Burl, just looks like it's as hard as rock?

#281 ·
the hand carved name wouldnt suit me. the burl i like though
Thanks for the feed back, I offered to take the grips to a friend of mine and have the name done with laser, but he did not want that. He said that he wanted the hand done look, witch is always a little more crude than I like because of the size. I can do a lot better with larger images. But as usual I do what the customer wants. I agree with you on the Buckeye, to me they are some very nice grips.
Thanks for looking.

#282 ·
when i get another 1911 i'll probably have you make me a set of grips. i dont recall if i ever asked you. do you make grips to fit other guns? such as smith and wesson j frames?

#283 ·
when i get another 1911 i'll probably have you make me a set of grips. i dont recall if i ever asked you. do you make grips to fit other guns? such as smith and wesson j frames?
John I do build other grips but usually have to have the original grip for a pattern. Also it depends on how complex the work is on the inside of the grip.
I would be glad to answer some of your questions in an email. cwgrips@gmail.com

#284 ·
Your usual work of artful creations are shared with us again. Actually, both grips have a distinct beauty and I be hard pressed to choose if I had to. I'll say that for me, the most natural look is my favorite because it is solely the gift of the wood and the touch of the artist that I see.

My amazement at the "matched set" of Burl is a treasure onto itself, if I didn't know better, I'd say to get a match like that, you're either blessed or they were fabricated and of course, they are the real thing.

Carl and to all, I wish you a very, Happy Thanksgiving and we all have much to appricate and we all appreciate those over seas who see to it that we keep it and share with the world.

#286 ·
Carl, got the grips installed on my carry pistol and I can say they are much too nice for this old junker. The Walnut turned out much better than expected and the TFF medalions are awesome. I took a few pictures but the lighting was pretty bad but I'll post them anyway then better ones later.

Thanks for a job well done. :)

Attachments

#288 ·
Carl, I was handling the pistol this morning and it just keeps looking better. I'll leave them on my carry pistol a few days longer then put them on something nicer. I especially like the TFF logo, great idea. The grips really came out nice and I'm very proud of them.
Again, thanks. :)

#292 ·
Beautiful work. How did you make the medallions?

John
Hello John

Thanks for asking about the medallions. They were cut out of Snow White Holly wood with a jewelers saw. Then the TFF was cut into them with a exato knife and rotary tool. Well let me back up the TFF was cut first then the shape cut out of the wood. After the medallion was inlaid into the grip the TFF was then poured with black epoxy and sanded smooth with the surface.
Thanks for looking and keeping up with the thread.
Carl.

#293 ·
Carl,

I never know what I'm going to say when I hear you have some new work on display. Then as always, the work itself speaks out. Sure, there are many artists doing very nice work, but you are so clever in the way you create your designs and give them a place all their own. The Snow White Holly looks like a plaque with the TTF inlaid in such a way that it has that 3-D look. When I first saw it, I thought about an ATF friend of mine, he would love something like this. You do more than share Carl, you give us an "experience," thank you.

#294 ·
Carl,

I never know what I'm going to say when I hear you have some new work on display. Then as always, the work itself speaks out. Sure, there are many artists doing very nice work, but you are so clever in the way you create your designs and give them a place all their own. The Snow White Holly looks like a plaque with the TTF inlaid in such a way that it has that 3-D look. When I first saw it, I thought about an ATF friend of mine, he would love something like this. You do more than share Carl, you give us an "experience," thank you.
+1

I have shown these grips to several people and all were very impressed. So was I with the quality of work that went into them. When Carl told me of his idea, I didn't completely understand how he was going to do his creation. But, Carl is a pro and I had no doubt about his ability. He sent me a picture of the finished product and I was excited to say the least. Then the grips came in the mail......I was speachless. The pictures do not do these grips justice. They are truely presentation grade.

Thanks Carl, for a job very well done. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.