How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Carl,

How Clever and beautiful, every time you come down from that mountain, you always bring such unique ideas with you, guess I’m getting the real meaning of "DesignsByCarl." I suppose, if you have done it all, then its appropriate that you’re the one to come up or down, with something new.

The pistol pedestal is just perfect, shows off the weapon with an action look without taking up a lot of room and I think dealers will knock down your front door over those. As I individual, I could use a couple to show off my grips and then the grip screws, I’m running out of breath. They are a handsome enhancement and I’m impressed that the lines in the Hex head extend into the center whole, unless that is a reflection? Either way, I’d say you will be doing a lot of shipping.

Do the Hex Grip Screws come in stainless also and do you have any pricing or are you just looking for feed back right now?

Exciting, creative and beautiful, yea, I for one am interested in both. Actually, when you add the grips, I’m interested in all three, have you decided on a texture name yet?
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I do have the grip screws in SS and SS plated and SS plated and engraved. There will be 3 prices,and each set will come with an allen wrench. I just got the screws yesterday so I haven't figured up the prices yet. I will do that after the gun and knife show and put them on my web site. I might add that yes, the lines go all the way to the outer edge of the screws.

The poll for the texture name will run through Sunday, I will use whatever name wins, so we will see.
    Later
    Carl
  3. Woodnut

Here is a couple pictures of some grips that were very hard to make because of the amount of work that had to be done on the inside of the panels. They are for a Baretta 88-BI 32 Cal., a gun that was made in the 70's or 80's. The customer was really ecstatic about them, and the fit was perfect although I only had the original grips to go by. Guess I got lucky. His choice of wood was Buckeye Burl.

Pictures of the grips before I mailed them. Then pictures that the customer sent me with the grips on the gun. They really look better on the gun than off.
    Enjoy

Attached Files:

4. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Carl,

Just saw the forums notification regarding this post and here I am. I know there are pics of the customer’s grips on the weapon, but I’m commenting on the first images I see which are your pics of the grips. First, the Buckeye Burl is a beautiful wood. Second, I know there is no such thing as Buckeye Burl Mother Of Pearl but that is how they look to me, very, very nice. Lot of work to make these babies, I can tell by just these pics, and there appear to be more curves and the thickness seems to vary.

What size drill bit was required for the grip holes?

Whoa! They are so beautiful on the weapon, no wonder the customer was so pleased. The graceful curves and perfect distance from grip edge to metal edge all around appears perfect! The mother of pearl effect at least for me, is still very radiant and dimensional on the weapon which is a beauty within herself. Just exceptional craftsmanship. Thanks for showing the work Carl.
  5. Woodnut

Hotsights:

Thanks for the comments, they are always appreciated. You ask about the holes in the grips. They are smaller than the 1911 so I could not use the altered step bit. I had to use a regular bit, I forgot the size, then used a 5/16 router bit for the counter bore. the screw heads were different, they were real thin, and the screw was real tiny. Took some doing, but I made it. I was really worried about the fit, until he called and said they were perfect, what a relief.

My thanks goes out to 45Smashemflat, for his new thread Steel, Ivory and Leather, for all the testimony on my grips. These are Ivory grips that I made for him. He really had a hard time finding the Dimes, They are dated 1911.

Carl
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. Woodnut

This is the left grip of a set, (still working on right) that is going to a customer in Finland. He is undecided whether or not to ink the Badlands texture. I really think that I would not, but then the call is his. I was just wondering what some of your thoughts are.
    Let me know what you think. The Logo is of a group (I think) that he belongs to or something. I am not sure what it stands for. As all of you know, it looks a lot better holding in hand. The picture never does justice, at least for me.
    Enjoy

Attached Files:

7. hotsights

hotsights New Member

This is fine work Carl, can't see any reason for a change, but the customer is always right. I would think that inking in the edges of the Badlands (Cool Name) tecture would cause the center symbol/logo to be somewhat lost in all the dark color, but the diamond cuts might stand out even more. Still, I like it as is from the image shown.

I also like the way you did the housing pin cut. Let us know if you find out what the symbol means and one more thing, what kin\d of wood is this grip designed from?

Let's see, Finland, that's just a little South of Texas?
  8. Woodnut

I thought you might like to see the Badlands grips finished. The customer and I discussed the inking and decided to go with just the diamonds and logo inked, and an oil finish on the texture.
    By the way the logo is Electrical Engineering, something to do with conductivity.

Also a picture of a set of Snow White Holly that I have spoke about in the past. These grips have a poured inlay, with the lettering being filled with Ebony dust and coated with an oil finish to seal the dust. The lettering was too small for a poured inlay. BTW, this Holly really looks like Ivory.

Thoughts and comments are always welcome.
    Carl

Attached Files:

9. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Very, very nice and precise work. All the cuts and carving are sharp and clean creating a beautiful, one of a kind set of grips. Your customer is or soon will be, very proud of his property and your creative abilities. You're a world-class Master and gracious instructor..
  10. tech2576

tech2576 New Member

Woodnut, You do some amazing things with wood. Thank you for shareing with us mere mortals.

I was curious how you keep the backs of the grips flat. i have been trying my hand at this & can't seem to keep them flat.

I was also wondering what type of finishes you use most often & what the differnces are.
  11. Woodnut

Answering in Sticky.
    Thanks for asking.

Carl
  12. tech2576

tech2576 New Member

Thank you Woodnut for replying to a post from a guy with 1 post.
    Shows what a nice guy you must be.
    Although that was my first post I bet there are some people on this forum that would recognize my name from another firearms related forum! ;)
  13. Woodnut

Got my hands on some really nice Bubinga the other day and could not wait to build a set of grips for my own gun with it. They turned out pretty good. I really like the figure in the wood. I used Tung Oil for a finish. Just wanted to show them off. They do look good on my SS A1. The lighting is not right as usual to show the true color and beauty of the wood. But it is pretty close.
    As always, comments of any kind are welcome.
    Carl

Attached Files:

14. Woodnut

This is another set of customized grips for a blank 1911, which is not at all the same as the regular gun. The lady sent me the original grips to go by and told me what she was looking for . After several conversations and drawings we finally arrived at the finished product, so I will share it with you. I do not have a clue as to what the symbols mean, but it is what she wanted and is really happy with the outcome.
    The pictures of the Ebony wood, and carving are really hard to see. Maybe you will get the idea anyway.

Comments Welcome.

Attached Files:

15. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Carl,

Nice work. At first I didn't understand what you meant by a "Blank," 1911, but the images eplained it all. Are the emblems Sterling Silver? The Ebony is very attractive, in the image it looks purple/black. Very nice. What about the U.S.M.C., set you were working on?

I finished a pair of Dymondwood Cocobolo/Walnut, that is really some hard wood, but all the instructions you have shared with me got me around it. Again, I really like that
    Ebony, very dark/black high-grade wood is sometimes hard to find.
  16. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Carl,

This Bubinga is outstanding with some nice grain contrast. They came very nice, I know the Bubinga can have the 3-D look with a high polise and I can see it here. If you get the chance with all the spare time you have (ha, ha,) try a pair of Padauk grips, that is a beautiful wood with nice grain and a dark-cherry red appearance. However, its a little oily to work with. Thanks for sharing the grips, excellent!
  17. Woodnut

Hi All

I have been on the road for the last 2 weeks and have just now got to read the posts on the forum.

First, thanks to SAMEERK for the compliment in the step by step thread. If I can ever help you in any way, just give me a shout.

Hotsights, thanks for the remarks on the grips, as always they are very much appreciated.
    Yes those Ebony grips for the blank 45 are a lot different than the live gun. They did turn out nice, and the lady wants another set for a gun she has.

I am posting a picture of the Ceylon Ebony grips with the marine medallion and checkering. I finished and shipped them before I left on my trip and did not have time to post them.

This is the best ebony you can get. Vertical grain and jet black. Extremely rare and beautiful. This is the stuff of pharaohs and kings. Legendary wood. Highest grade available for custom grips and knives. It is the highest quality Ebony I have ever used. Expensive but worth it.

Ya'll let me know what you think.
    Carl

Attached Files:

18. hotsights

hotsights New Member

WoodNut,

Your absence has been noticed, you’ve been missed. I figured you’d been buried under the "Honey Do Mountain." Glad you’re back. The Ebony grips, checkering and inlay are the usual outstanding work we’ve come to expect. Why not for fun, show us something you messed up to prove you’re human.

You knew I’d like the Marine Corps grips and they are beautiful, the customer probably felt like singing the Marine Corps Hymn when he saw them. Inlay is still somewhat of a dragon of mine. Your instruction has been excellent, I just need a softer touch when cutting the out line. I get started okay, then it just seems to turn into big pot hole.

I going to try some more with some blanks I got from Richard, will let you know how I’m doing or give another one of Woodnut help me calls.

Again, beautiful work and dark wood is hard to find, but that Ebony is dark as midnight, sure adds to the beauty and presentation of the finished grips. Those gold grip screws are a real nice touch. Great images, did you use your new photographic invention for these?
  19. Woodnut

I would like to share the last grips I made and the gentleman's testimony. These grips are made of Snow White Holly and has the Badlands texture along with custom work on the grips.
    Hope you enjoy!
    As always comments are welcome.
    Carl

Carl I can't thank you enough. The grips turned out far more than what I expected. the Badlands texture looks awesome and is also functional. You've got my business forever and anyone else I know that want's custom grips for 1911's. I've attached pics of the final product, you can use them as you may. Good advertising. Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Chris Hogan

Attached Files:

20. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Very, very nice Carl,

I think its a wonderful gift to be able to take someone’s memories of the past and enshrine them the way you have in these beautiful gift. The images that the grips portray to me are about a person who remembers and honors a military past. Sure, I can understand why this customer is proud, you really, created something that means a lot to him and you did it in a beautiful way. That Bad Lands texture is one of a kind!

This is my latest attempt at doing some inlay. Actually, it finished out rather decent. Your tip on how to re-shape the exacto-blade has made all the difference, that and a lot of practice. Carl, thanks for sharing and thanks for being the teacher that you are. Oh, the grip wood is called Massaranduba. I have ordered some Dymondwood Ebony and will try to keep moving forward, one step at a time. Would never have reached this point without your kind help.

Attached Files: