The Firearms Forum banner

How to customize your 1911 grips

Tags
192K views 706 replies 105 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
In this thread I will try to tell you how I do my work. I will be the teacher so to speak. I am sure there are a lot of you out there that know more than I do, but I will share my ways, as well as ask questions on your ways. I can always learn, you never stop learning. I have been customizing for many years and now am ready to give some of my tips to others. Below is a picture of a set of Cherrywood that is just plain beautiful. I stippled a design on them and finished with Tru-Oil. I will post new pictures for your enjoyment in the future. ENJOY THE BEAUTY.

See less See more
#302 ·
I took the dark picture that Dale sent me and did a little edit work on it and came up with fair results. As you can see the color is still not right in this photo.
Looks like I may have to invest in a better camera for myself, my pictures never do the grips justice, and some of you guys can make the most beautiful pictures. It may be just me not knowing how to do it, or it could be the camera. I would ask for any advice that is available.
Thanks.

Attachments

#303 · (Edited)
As I mentioned in the post above this one, my camera skills are lacking. But here is a Ruger .44 stock that I refinished for a friend of mine with his last name inlaid in the butt stock with crushed Mother of Pearl. (Rogers). I have some light spots on the pictures guess the lighting was wrong, I'll bet I took 20 shots of this thing, this is the best one to come out of it.
Thanks for looking.
As usual, all comments are welcome, good or bad.

Be sure to check out my new Album in the link below.

Attachments

#306 ·
Every time I see this thread, I go back and look at all the fine work Carl does. I have to say, not only is he an artist, but a very giving and humble person who would help anyone that asked him. Thanks Carl for being a stand up guy. You are part of what makes this forum what it is. I will use your services one day I am certain.

#307 ·
Everyone knows the name "John Moses Browning," and as time moves forward, anyone who appreciates his fine and long lasting work will also come to know and appreciate the fine work that Carl does to enhance the 1911's beauty with his hand made grips.

Most of us come and go with the winds of time, Carl, you have with your own two hands, built a legacy that will survive time. Your work will forever remind future generations of what it means to be a craftsman.

I will forever be in your debt for having shared your knowledge and having guided me in my own grip making efforts. There is still some Will Rogers alive today, Carl never met anyone who didn't like and respect him.

#309 ·
Everyone knows the name "John Moses Browning," and as time moves forward, anyone who appreciates his fine and long lasting work will also come to know and appreciate the fine work that Carl does to enhance the 1911's beauty with his hand made grips.

Most of us come and go with the winds of time, Carl, you have with your own two hands, built a legacy that will survive time. Your work will forever remind future generations of what it means to be a craftsman.

I will forever be in your debt for having shared your knowledge and having guided me in my own grip making efforts. There is still some Will Rogers alive today, Carl never met anyone who didn't like and respect him.
Hotsights, I can't thank you enough for your kind words. I would like to say you have been a wonderful student, and that you have turned into a professional. That's what it is all about, time and patience with persistence. You have shown all the above and have proved to me to be an excellent Grip Builder. Keep up the good work.

Also a big thanks to Dale Dugas for his words of satisfaction with my work.

#310 ·
Here's something a little different for me, but did turn out quite nice.
I met this customer at a gun show, he had brought the frame for me to use in the making of the grips. He was interested in white micarta. I could not find a piece of white micarta large enough to make the grips. So after a phone conversation with the customer, we came up with Snow White Holly. To me it looks almost identical to Ivory. I delivered them yesterday and the customer was really happy with them. He said he liked them better than the micarta he wanted in the first place.
As usual the picture does not do them justice.

Enjoy!

Attachments

#311 ·
Here is a quick look at Sam's Cocobolo grips that I finished checkering today. Again I apologize for the camera work, it does not do them justice. This piece of Cocobolo was about 6 x 8 x 18 inches, it was a really nice piece. There's not a lot of figure in it but it has a nice color. Very Rich.

From what I am reading about photography, I am going to have to build or buy a soft box to do close up photography. Oh well that will be another venture.
Enjoy.

Attachments

#312 ·
Another beautiful set ! I am looking to make a set for the P238; Going to try on some plain stuff first, make a couple of test pairs and then go for it on some nice wood. This thread has been a great inspiration , thanks Carl !

#313 ·
damn carl. Those look like they were checkered on a CNC machine! You have one hell of a steady hand and a eye for detail. Fine work brother!

#314 ·
damn carl. Those look like they were checkered on a CNC machine! You have one hell of a steady hand and a eye for detail. Fine work brother!
Thanks Josh,
I love doing the checkering when I have time, I just can't make any money on it because it is so dad gum time consuming. At my age I can't afford a faster way (electric tool), I would never pay for it in the time I have left.
I do a pair every now and then just to keep in practice. Sam didn't even know I was making him a set of grips, much less Checkered. It was so odd, today he called right after I finished them. He told me I needed to get back out to the shop before the woodpeckers eat his grips.

#315 ·
Every time I see this thread, I go back and look at all the fine work Carl does. I have to say, not only is he an artist, but a very giving and humble person who would help anyone that asked him. Thanks Carl for being a stand up guy. You are part of what makes this forum what it is. I will use your services one day I am certain.
I start drooling everytime I look at his grips! Like you, I just know that I have got to get a pair of his grips! Just trying to put some money togeather! It's not that his grips are all that expensive, it's just that my "Gun Budget" is small, like my entire budget! There is no doubt in my mind that I will own at least one pair of Carl's grips before the end of this year! It just has to be!:D

#317 ·
Carl, those grips look great !!

I brought that wood out of Central America about eight years ago. I'll try to find the other one while I'm healing up and mail it to you. I honestly don't know how the two pieces of wood got seperated, but they did. Just hang in there, I'll find it. :D

#318 ·
Those are some nice cocos sam. Good job carl.

#319 ·
Been away for a while. Thanks to all for the comments about my work. Your kind words are my inspiration to strive to be better.
I should have something new for you to look at very soon. I have made several sets since Sam's, but have not photographed any. I just hate to make pictures because in my eyes they never do the grips justice. Just can't seem to get the picture taking down pat.

#320 ·
Carl,

My wife does beaded and fused glass jewelry (makes her own beads and fused glass) and needed to photograph her work. I was meandering around in Walmart while she was shopping and I stumbled across a little set up from Kodak (I think) that provided a opaque box and lights for indirect soft light that didn't break the bank. Don't know if they still carry them but you might take a look in their photo dept. It just might fit your needs.

#321 · (Edited)
MAN !!!!!! , Thanks for that info, I will check it out this week end. If I end up with something I will let you know.
Thanks again.

BTW, I noticed you were from NW AR. I spent a few years in FT. Smith working. We lived in Van Buren when the tornado took our house in 95,or 96 I can't remember. We then rented in south Ft Smith for about a year before moving to the coast.

#323 ·
I'm on Beaver lake about 12 miles from Rogers in the Coppermine area. Not too far from Bentonville. Got a nice shootin range about a mile away (free) but it's packed if you don't get there early, even on weekdays. Give a yell if your in the area.

#324 ·
Airdale
I worked with a friend that lived in Seligman, Mo. Then my superintendent was from Beaver. The wife and I did our honeymoon thing in Eureka Springs. Went to see the passion play and stayed up there for a week or so, several years ago. Really a beautiful spot in the US, we really enjoyed it.

#325 ·
This is a set of Desert Ironwood Burl with some of the nicest grain I have seen. I built these for a forum member and he is going to post pictures of them on the gun. I told him this morning on the phone that it was a good thing I didn't own a EMP or I would refund his money and keep the grips for myself. Of coarse I fall in love with all the grips I make because of the grain patterns. For those that are wondering who they are for, I will let him tell you. I will ship the grips tomorrow morning. He should have them by Wensday or Thursday.
Still having trouble with reflections, but these pictures came out fairly well seeing that these grips are like glass.
Enjoy!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.