How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. hotsights

hotsights New Member

I have added a text file for you to view. The images show the really cool process for drilling perfect grip counter holes as taught to me by WoodNut AKA Carl Wallace.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Re: Building and customizing your 1911 grips

Carl,

There would be great difficulty in selecting a favorite set of from this collection so, I won't try. I do like those lacewood grips, they have a strong Tribal look about them. As for you offering yor helo to anyone interested, I for one can prove its worth the effot to learn form your years of experience. I worked with you to the point that expenditure of funds was a practical move and I did that. I'm moving right along in a positive direction.

I posted some pics showing how you taught me to drill perfect counter holes using your modified step drill bit, should have posted it here, may later. I haven't started the inlay yet. Seems I get a pair done, then don't want to cut on them anymore, ha, ha. I'll get over that. Next project will be the Canary Wood. I had to return the Colt I was using for fitting, but will have another one soon.

Your the best thing that cold happen to someone who wants to learn how to make natural wood grips. I'm happy to say, in some circles I'm proving it, thatnks to you.
  3. jestor

jestor New Member

I 've helped build guitars out of lacewood before , the dust off it was extremely irritating to the skin to some of us but it made some real nice looking guitars.
  4. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Woodnut,

I have never tried to make somthing so small and detailed as the stocks for a pistol before, but have had some woodshop expirence. So to someone who would like to make thier own custom grips, what is a short rundown of the equipment needed, materials, and labor for a set of grips?

Could someone like myself make a set with minimal expirence and without breaking the bank?

Thanks,
    Kyle
  5. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Hi Kyle, Thanks for the interest. Yes you can make your grips. It's all about the patience and want to. As far as tools. Here is a list of the things that come to mind. Email me if you want to go further, or call me either one.

Some kind of a drill press. Not a must but very nice to have.
    2 drill bits
    wood of choice
    way to saw the wood
    lots of sand paper, a belt sander would be nice.
    If you don't have a belt sander then a wood rasp would be the next best thing.
    Files

These are a few of the fundamentals. We can discuss in detail after you tell me what you have in the way of tools. If you have had wood experience, then you probably have most everything you need to get started.
    Some time at your connivance, why don't you call me so we can chat, I will be glad to share knowledge with you and help in any way I can.
    Thanks for the interest.
    Carl
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Carl, Thats some great looking wood working you do there.
    I'm curious, would it be difficult to make grips for other type handguns?
    After buying several over the past years, I always thought if I would ever take the time that it might be something to think about!
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge and great craftsmanship work!
  7. Woodnut

Hi Zane.

You ask about the difficulty of building grips for other guns. It greatly depends on the type gun you are referring to. If the grip panel is flat on the inside and you have a frame to fit to, then it is not difficult. On the other hand if there is a lot of inletting on the inside of the grip then usually special tools are required to do this type work, and having the gun in hand is a must.
    You must have the time and interest to devote to a project like this, but the end result is very rewarding.
    I know you have more questions, so I invite you to call me or email me, but a call would be better, that way I can get a feel for what it is that you are interested in. 228 255 0822. I am usually home full time except for running a few errands every now and then. If I am out just leave a message and I will get back to you. My work shop is attached to the house with a breezeway and I have a phone out there, that's where I am most of the time.
    Thanks for your interest. Looking forward to working with you.
    Carl
  8. Woodnut

Yes the Lace Wood is very nice and a pleasure to work with. I did not have any problems with irritating skin nor did I notice a nose burning smell. Usually if a wood is going to bother me I have a burning sensation in my nose. I would love to see some of your guitars if you have pictures. I can only imagine the beauty of them.
    Thanks for looking.
  9. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

What would a set of oak or black walnut grips inlayed with something like a feather medallion run?
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

How is the step drill modified? I want to try to make some grips for mine as I love woodworking but am not very good at it but it is as fun as re-loading. I was trying to figure how to make those holes. I was thinking a drill bit and a forstner bit but I now see the light. Just dont know how to modify that bit. Are they for sale?
  11. Woodnut

No I don't sell the bits, but will alter one upon request.
    TheGunClinger, I think we have discussed this by PM. I just wanted other readers to see my answer.
    Thanks
  12. TROB

TROB New Member

Sweet! thanks for the pics
  13. Woodnut

Thanks TROB, maybe I could build you a set sometime. I really like the KOA.

I should have some more pictures of some African Rosewood soon. I think it will be pretty nice to look at also. Of coarse in my eyes, all wood is beautiful.
    Keep checking the thread for more shots.
  14. Woodnut

For those of you that have been following this thread. Take a look at the new sticky at the top of the forum. This thread will explain in more detail as to how the grips are made.
    Thanks for looking.
  15. Woodnut

To all my fateful views.
    After a lot of thought, I would like to keep the Sticky: mainly for a tutorial type thread. I will answer all the how to questions in the Sticky:. You may ask your questions on how do you do this step or whatever here, then I will quote it and post it in the Sticky:
    Thanks to all viewers.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010