How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I still need help with a name for the new Texture of mine.

So far I have suggestions of,

Gatorback
    Cracked Earth
    Pebbles
    Pebble Rock
    Armadillo
    Wallyrock--------just now thought of this, since my last name is Wallace.

I would like to have a few more suggestions before I decide, I may even take a 5 day poll with a few of the names.
    Thanks for you suggestions.
    Picture of texture is below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Wally-AKA-Wallace,

That new texture is very nice, different and easy to look at like eye Candy. A name, "Wood Rock," comes to mind as it looks like rock and its created from wood.

Also, it reminds me of chopped peanuts so, "Wood Nut," comes to mind. The grip is really, very nice, who wouldn't be proud to have that set on their 1911. The design reminds me of BatMan, very cool. So, from where do all these unique ideas come from? Do you go sit on a mountain top and wait for a revelation?

Outstanding work, the market is going to like this, betcha, Betcha!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  3. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Thanks for posting the pics of these latest grips on a gun... I really like them.

Out of the choices you have listed, I probably like cracked earth the best, but gatorback is right up there.

Your cracked earth name made me think about Badlands National Park... so maybe you could call the pattern Badlands.

Attached Files:

4. hotsights

hotsights New Member

pkcgbifaid,

You have a beautiful way of describing your thought about a name. Very nice picture and it does remind me of Woodnut's new tecture.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just thought of another one for them carl, "scorched earth" like in the desert when a watering hole dries up and the ground cracks from the intense heat. Kinda goes alongn with the same thought as cracked earth...
  6. Woodnut

Thanks JLA for the suggestion on the name. I would like to have 8 to 10 names to pick from, then I will pick 4 and do a poll.

Check out the Sticky: Building Step by Step to see another tool that I use very often.

Thanks for looking.
  7. Woodnut

Well I almost have the names for the poll. Thought I would get more suggestions than I did, but I have enough to run with it.

I did some more of the Texture today on a set of Camphor Burl that I had in stock. The Camphor has an orange peel look that I think is neat, I could fill it with a finish but it looks nice as is, for now anyway. This is my design also. Let me know what you think. I hope to post some more tools soon, if I ever get time to build them.
    Thanks for looking.
    Carl

Attached Files:

8. Woodnut

The poll is now open for you to vote on the new name for the texture.
  9. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Although I like the name "Wood Rock," now it seems like everytime I look at the new tecture, I get thirsty. So, JLA's "Scorched Earth," gets my vote.
  10. Woodnut

Here's a couple of new ideas I have been toying with for some time now. Please tell me your thoughts on these.

The Display Stand pictured is made out of Red Cedar, it has cushions on the bottom to prevent table top scratches. The upright part slips into the empty magazine opening and supports the gun in an upright position.

The Grip Screws are SS with 24ct. pure gold plating with 12 lines engraved on each screw.
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

11. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Carl,

How Clever and beautiful, every time you come down from that mountain, you always bring such unique ideas with you, guess I’m getting the real meaning of "DesignsByCarl." I suppose, if you have done it all, then its appropriate that you’re the one to come up or down, with something new.

The pistol pedestal is just perfect, shows off the weapon with an action look without taking up a lot of room and I think dealers will knock down your front door over those. As I individual, I could use a couple to show off my grips and then the grip screws, I’m running out of breath. They are a handsome enhancement and I’m impressed that the lines in the Hex head extend into the center whole, unless that is a reflection? Either way, I’d say you will be doing a lot of shipping.

Do the Hex Grip Screws come in stainless also and do you have any pricing or are you just looking for feed back right now?

Exciting, creative and beautiful, yea, I for one am interested in both. Actually, when you add the grips, I’m interested in all three, have you decided on a texture name yet?
  12. Woodnut

I do have the grip screws in SS and SS plated and SS plated and engraved. There will be 3 prices,and each set will come with an allen wrench. I just got the screws yesterday so I haven't figured up the prices yet. I will do that after the gun and knife show and put them on my web site. I might add that yes, the lines go all the way to the outer edge of the screws.

The poll for the texture name will run through Sunday, I will use whatever name wins, so we will see.
    Later
    Carl
  13. Woodnut

Here is a couple pictures of some grips that were very hard to make because of the amount of work that had to be done on the inside of the panels. They are for a Baretta 88-BI 32 Cal., a gun that was made in the 70's or 80's. The customer was really ecstatic about them, and the fit was perfect although I only had the original grips to go by. Guess I got lucky. His choice of wood was Buckeye Burl.

Pictures of the grips before I mailed them. Then pictures that the customer sent me with the grips on the gun. They really look better on the gun than off.
    Enjoy

Attached Files:

14. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Carl,

Just saw the forums notification regarding this post and here I am. I know there are pics of the customer’s grips on the weapon, but I’m commenting on the first images I see which are your pics of the grips. First, the Buckeye Burl is a beautiful wood. Second, I know there is no such thing as Buckeye Burl Mother Of Pearl but that is how they look to me, very, very nice. Lot of work to make these babies, I can tell by just these pics, and there appear to be more curves and the thickness seems to vary.

What size drill bit was required for the grip holes?

Whoa! They are so beautiful on the weapon, no wonder the customer was so pleased. The graceful curves and perfect distance from grip edge to metal edge all around appears perfect! The mother of pearl effect at least for me, is still very radiant and dimensional on the weapon which is a beauty within herself. Just exceptional craftsmanship. Thanks for showing the work Carl.
  15. Woodnut

Hotsights:

Thanks for the comments, they are always appreciated. You ask about the holes in the grips. They are smaller than the 1911 so I could not use the altered step bit. I had to use a regular bit, I forgot the size, then used a 5/16 router bit for the counter bore. the screw heads were different, they were real thin, and the screw was real tiny. Took some doing, but I made it. I was really worried about the fit, until he called and said they were perfect, what a relief.

My thanks goes out to 45Smashemflat, for his new thread Steel, Ivory and Leather, for all the testimony on my grips. These are Ivory grips that I made for him. He really had a hard time finding the Dimes, They are dated 1911.

Carl
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010