The Firearms Forum banner

How to customize your 1911 grips

Tags
192K views 706 replies 105 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
In this thread I will try to tell you how I do my work. I will be the teacher so to speak. I am sure there are a lot of you out there that know more than I do, but I will share my ways, as well as ask questions on your ways. I can always learn, you never stop learning. I have been customizing for many years and now am ready to give some of my tips to others. Below is a picture of a set of Cherrywood that is just plain beautiful. I stippled a design on them and finished with Tru-Oil. I will post new pictures for your enjoyment in the future. ENJOY THE BEAUTY.

See less See more
#352 ·
hell yes... Is it really to much to ask for him to keep his shriveled old ass in the box and just get rich off the cowboys greatness?? I dont think so. In fact If I owned the Cowboys id be a scarce as hens teeth, cuz id be livin in the bahamas on my own private island with a replica of the jerry tron in an airplane hangar in my backyard so i could watch the cowboys win.

#353 ·
Hey carl, is that the Israeli Olive Myles was tellin me about??

That stuff is awesome. I like the dark grain with the blonde. Makes excellent contrast. And I am a fan of contrast.
Yeah Josh
But this is not the pair for Myles. I'm sure he will post his when they arrive. They are on my web site if you would like to look at his. I think his has a little more of the dark on one grip than the other, I would have to look to see.

#354 ·
Woodnut, great work, all beutiful stuff. I really like the darker woods and especially the dark pieces of the Buckeye burl, some seem to have a green tint. Have you ever used Osage Orange (Bodark, Bois D'Arc)? Its tough and I've seen bows made of it that had great color. If its already been mentioned on this thread I appologize, I didn't look at every page. Looking at your work has made me want to give it a try.

okie

#355 ·
Woodnut, great work, all beutiful stuff. I really like the darker woods and especially the dark pieces of the Buckeye burl, some seem to have a green tint. Have you ever used Osage Orange (Bodark, Bois D'Arc)? Its tough and I've seen bows made of it that had great color. If its already been mentioned on this thread I appologize, I didn't look at every page. Looking at your work has made me want to give it a try.

okie
I've used it in knife handles it is really really hard i will wear out a saw blade and its really bad on belts, but its pretty

#356 ·

okie
Hey friend, welcome to the forum. To answer your question on the Orange Osage, I have never worked with it but I probably will in the very near future. If my thread gets your blood boiling to build grips, give it a go, and you are welcome to contact me any time by email or phone either one. I will help you get started building grips. Just ask a few of the people here on the forum how much I have helped them. You see, I don't want the custom work to be a dying art. Most of the grips in today's market are machine made, and to me that really takes away from the grip itself. I like helping people get started and never hold any secrets from anyone. Thanks for your interest and I hope to be hearing from you soon
All my contact information is on my web site in my signature, www.cwgrips.com.

#357 ·
Thanks for the offer on the help Carl, I may take you up on it. H-D is absolutely right on how tough the Bodark is, you can wear out a chainsaw blade real fast on it. Indians in this part used it for arrows and bows. Its resistance to wear and the elements is unbelievable, I've seen fence posts made of it that were probably pushin 100 yrs old and still strong. Got some pieces that have been laying in a shed for bout 10 yrs, as soon as it cools off and the red wasps calm down a bit I'll see if any of it might be useable. ;) Keep up the good work.

okie

#358 ·
if it's been dry for 10 yrs should be good and seasoned the tree I used for the stuff I made was cut down when my older sister was a baby and I just chopped pieces off the stump and cut it up on my dads old table saw its beautiful when finished and takes a good polish I gotta get back out there and chop some more up

#359 ·
Here's a set of Olive that was shipped this mornig. They have the 1/2 stippled design, then inked. This wood is awesome. I love it. I have 2 more sets to finish up tomorrow and photograph, then post them if I don't have plans, I won't know that, until the wife gets home. :D

Attachments

#362 ·
Thanks carl I'm planning on trying to stipple a set of grips and I really like the contrast! Those grips look awesome!

#363 ·
Thanks carl I'm planning on trying to stipple a set of grips and I really like the contrast! Those grips look awesome!
H-D
If you have never done stippling, give me a call some time and I will give you an easy way to do it. Applying the ink is a piece of cake. So is the stippling but some folks back away from it because of lack of knowledge. Don't take this wrong, I'm not saying you don't already know how this is done, I am just offering help, if you need it.

#366 ·
Here is a few sets of grips that have come out of my shop lately. I still have several more that have not been photographed.
First pair is Desert Ironwood with the full badlands texture.
Second is Bonded Ivory with Marine Globe and Anchor laser engraved and inked
Third is Bonded Ivory with Fire Fighters Logo laser engraved and inked.
Fourth is a set of Bonded Ivory with sterling silver crosses inlaid.
All eye candy.
Enjoy!

Attachments

#367 ·
Here is a couple shots of some Bonded Ivory that I put the medallions on then inlaid the sterling silver eagle. Love working with this bonded ivory, it works very nice and has the look and feel of the real stuff and I am told that it will slowly turn yellowish with age just like Ivory.
Enjoy!

Attachments

#368 ·
@ Woodnut

I just joined the forum. I did try to read all of the posts before asking, but as there are 15 pages I must admit I did not read them all. I have started to make my own grips and I was wondering if you would share your technique with me as well. Your grips are phenomenal. Mine, not so much. Tip tricks and general how to would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

#370 ·
Thanks Shooter45, I had overlooked this post some way. It's no wonder tho since I have so much going on.

Brian, I will be glad to answer any questions you have for me, and will help you in any way I can. We need more people interested in hand made stuff not only grips but anything out of wood. It is a dying art and I hate to see go by the wayside like so many other things have. The computer is about to take over everything except my work. LOL. I love it and take a lot of pride in doing what I do, and hope it shows in my work. I get pure satisfaction out of helping someone as well as actually doing the work.
Let me hear from you. You are welcome to call me any time to chat and ask any questions you may have. 228 255 0822 or email me at cwgrips@gmail.com.
Thanks for looking.

#371 ·
@ Shooter45 -

Thanks for the link. I apologize for not trying harder.

@ Woodnut -

Thank you very much. I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way. I appreciate the contact info. I live on the west coast in Washington and I don't recognize that area code. I will try to limit my questions to email. I am only making these grips as a hobbie so there is no immediate rush on answers.

Thanks again,
Brian

#373 ·
Not long ago I asked Carl/Woodnut this same question, will you teach me to make grips? Carl said yes if, you're serious! I was serious & the some of the first things I learned weren't about grip making, but about the teacher, Carl Wallace. Honest, A man of character, integrity beyond question, willing & able to help anyone learn and most of all, he has become a life long friend.

He will tell you what equipment to get, how to use it and a some clever ways to make beautiful grips. Are my words true or, am I just trying to do some fast, self-serving advertising? If I wanted to do that, I would have said visit http://www.1911grips.ecrater.com a long time ago. I wanted to learn how to make 1911 grips & Carl led me by the hand with a kindness similar to how a grandfather teaches his grandchildren. That sounds a bit gooey, but he is that way as long as you are trying.

I also, just wanted to learn as a hobby, then I kept making them and decided to put them on a website and have sold a few. Among my favorite grips are the Osage Orange grips and that is beautiful wood. Every grip on my little site was created because Carl Wallace shared his time and his love of the art with me. My ability is still limited & I will refer potential customers to Carl because Carl can do it all.

Thank You Carl,

HotSights

#374 ·
hotsights, your not alone. There are a few here that carl has reached out to. Now, he could have took the additude that if he helped you get good at grip making, you might come along and take his business or cut him in some way. But, he doesnt think that way. He is willing to help whoever shows a true desire to learn and for free. So, that says alot about someone. My hat is off to carl and I wish him great success in his business. Good to have him as a member here.

#375 ·
I read most of the posts on this topic now and never once got the impression that Carl was mean or conceding at all. Even after loads of people (myself included) asked the same question over and over. Thanks Carl and everyone else on the forum for being so polite.

@ Woodnut-

Carl, why does the step down drill bit need to be modified?

#376 · (Edited)
I read most of the posts on this topic now and never once got the impression that Carl was mean or conceding at all. Even after loads of people (myself included) asked the same question over and over. Thanks Carl and everyone else on the forum for being so polite.

@ Woodnut-

Carl, why does the step down drill bit need to be modified?
Many thanks to all you guys with the kind words. They are always appreciated.
Sorry I haven't answered your question on the bit before now, but been having issues with the wife having her knee replaced. She is doing well and at home now trying to get over it.

The reason for the altered step bit.
The step bit comes out of the package with a 1/4 inch step up to the next step 9/32. You can use the 1/4 inch and have a little slack in the grip fit. I like a good tight fit of the grips to the frame. So I take the 1/4 step down to 15/64 for the center hole (which is the exact size of the bushing) then the 9/32 is exactly what is needed for the counter bore. At the top of this forum is a Sticky Thread titled "Building 1911 grips "step by step". Take a look at the tutorial in post number 9, that pretty well shows how it is used. Once altered you can use it without even clamping the grip, it will self align.
If you have further questions on this or any other facet of grip making, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Thanks for the question.

I would like to take the time to thank Hotsights personally. He can do some awesome grip making and I would like to think I had a little info to help him along the way. He was a very dedicated student and did every thing I ask of him, and his work shows it.
A special thanks goes out to you Martin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.