How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. BrianPowley

BrianPowley Member

Carl, You need to post a picture of those grips you just made for me.
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Brian, Thanks for the request. I have been out of town for a few days due to the holiday, just returned, and here is a picture of the grips I made for you. The grips are made form Select AZ Desert Ironwood. Brian picked out the blanks from some pictures I sent to him from my supplier.
    I am so looking forward to seeing them on the engraved gun. Like you said this will be a before and after thing. The grips always looks better on the gun, especially on a gun that is engraved by a MASTER ENGRAVER. To all that is reading, you need to check out Brian's site, he does some awesome work. Very very talented.
    www.powleyengraving.com
    Carl aka Woodnut

Attached Files:

3. Woodnut

"This is my latest attempt at doing some inlay. Actually, it finished out rather decent. Your tip on how to re-shape the exacto-blade has made all the difference, that and a lot of practice. Carl, thanks for sharing and thanks for being the teacher that you are. Oh, the grip wood is called Massaranduba. I have ordered some Dymondwood Ebony and will try to keep moving forward, one step at a time. Would never have reached this point without your kind help."

Hotsights, you are doing a terrific job, keep it up. Those are some awesome grips. They look really professional.

For those of you that are interested, this is in regard to post #241 by Hotsights, go back in the thread and look at some of his first works, then look at the difference of then and now. All it takes to do this is to believe in yourself, and Hotsights is proof of that. I am so proud to be a part of his grip making career.
    Thanks Hotsights for posting those nice inlays. I don't think he mentioned where the grizzly came from, it came from one of the new quarters, correct me if I am wrong, but I think, Alaska quarter.
    Thanks again Hotsights.
    Carl aka Woodnut.
  4. BrianPowley

BrianPowley Member

AWWwwwwww YEAHhhhhhhh!
  5. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Carl,

Thanks for the support. Now, we all know you’re willing to help anyone that wants to learn something about grip making and you can only guide so far, then the student has to figure it all out in their own way. Funny thing, once I get to doing something that I want to do, it seems that in the middle of that effort, I can see and want to move forward with the next idea and its hard to keep myself focused on getting each project done, you know what I mean.

I’ve completed the first set of Ebony (Dymondwood) grips and still have enough left for another set. Also, as you can see, I’m inlaying Dymondwood into other woods such as in this case, Padauk and it came out very nice and very smooth. I made the French Cut side first so, the other side will be easier. This was a difficult task for me, trying to get the grip screw holes centered in the Dymondwood was one tuffy and getting the cuts in the Padauck and the Dymondwood clean and flat were a task, but, you learn as you want to. Each set is based on a Vision and I’m the kind of guy who sees things all the time except, how to get there, ha, ha, best to just keep moving I suppose and Never underestimate the beauty of wood.

Brian, thanks for the comment. I've visited your site and you impress the heck out of me!

Attached Files:

6. Woodnut

It's been a while since I have posted anything so thought I would update the thread a little.
    Hotsights:
    You are really coming along with the grip making, looks really professional. I will email you soon or give you a call. I have been real busy since the gun show July 11. Guess that is a good thing.
    Anyway I bought one side of a CO elk antler at the show from a customer of mine. His brother killed the elk and gave him half the rack. I looked at it and decided I could get 5 sets of grips and a ton of knife handles from it, so I had to have it. This stuff is hard to find that is large enough to make grips out of.

Here is the first set. I did something I had always wanted to do on these. I made the right grip thicker than the left, for a right handed shooter. This thickness really feels good to me, it fills the palm on the right hand and gives a really good feel. I think a lot of folks might be interested in this.
    I have more pictures to post later of some laser work a friend of mine is doing for me. It looks really good.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Carl, as always you do some beautiful grips, I am always impressed with what I see. I do wish I had the funds available to do the "Red 9" grips we discussed a while back.
  8. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Woodnut, I have to say that you do some mighty fine looking work. Some of your photos almost took my breath away. To say the least, they are beautiful. Thanks for posting.
    Was going to ask if you do revolver grips, but your website just says 1911 grips. (That's my revolver to the left.)
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  9. hotsights

hotsights New Member

WoodNut,

The Elk Grips and the novel Right-hand grip are beautiful, great looking grips. With some exceptions, the commercial grip market is so saturated with the Polymer and "as usual looking grips," that its refreshing to see new ideas come to life. Carl, you can add to your slogan "Never doubt the beauty of wood or the possibilities it offers." Making the right-handed shooters right grip a little thicker makes sense when you think about it even though I’ve never fired a weapon with that design. Bryan Powley’s grip on the President Bush 45 is another cool looking grip

A shooter could take a slimed down grip and a regular grip to get the feel of the idea and like I say, it makes since. Uniformity in grip making should only have to refer to the basics, and the rest should be wide open for proto-types. All they have to do is fit the metal and the market can make a commercial decision and the individual can always do what they want.

I’ve been looking at some American Bison Horn (Commonly called the Buffalo) and will let you know if I get it or not and possibly some Stag horn from Arkansas. Your works and efforts keep me inspired!

My Darling daughter gave me this display case for Father's Day so, I'm showing some of what Carl Wallace AKA WoodNut has taught me.

Attached Files:

10. airjacobs

airjacobs New Member

I would never realize these grips that would look like that on the gun. Of course I had no clue as to finish the gun had. Wow what a good looking gun in my opinion.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  11. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

What a craft you guys have! I am jealous of the people that can order these babies! If I had the nerve I would love to have a set of the Ceylon Ebony ones. Those really got my attention! Woodnut, would you care to quote a figure? Or send a message? I have a springer.
  12. Woodnut

Thanks for the inquiry. Yes I will be glad to send you a PM on the subject. We have plans at the moment, so I will look and see if I have some of that Ebony left and shoot you a PM tonight when we return.
    Thank you for the kind words also.
    Carl
  13. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

I will be looking forward to that! Thank you!
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Totally awesome/beautiful craftsmanship you guys have going on there!
    Hard to say, I like this one or that one the best, but they all are GREAT!
    Woodnut, I really like those made of the elk antler, they look really nice!
  15. Woodnut

I get so busy I forget to photograph all the grips I build. I will try and think to take the pictures and post them, since I think all of you enjoy looking at the different things I do with the grips.

This is a set of laminated wine wood. But it is one that I had the USCG insignia Laser Cut into the grip then filled it with gold. Something like this is just to small and has to much detail to do by hand.

The next set is one that I just shipped to a customer with an inlaid USMC CID
    Badge.

As always I enjoy the comments.
    ENJOY!

Attached Files: