How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

NICE Woodnut!
    Good to see the works/effects of the Laser Cutter!
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Here is some more of the laser work, one is on Afzelia, the other is on American Oak Laminate. The pictures are not that good but you can see the detail in the globe and anchor. Stuff like this is just to small and detailed for me to do by hand. You can even read the Semper Fidelis on the flag in the Eagle's mouth.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

3. Zane71464

I really like those American Oak Laminate grips! And the detail is something else!
    Awesome work Woodnut!
  4. hotsights

hotsights New Member

There’s craftsmanship and then there is the Art of craftsmanship. Woodnut, you seem to take us to new levels and with you and the laser-man, there seems to be no limits to what can be achieved. I love all this work and I’m sill very impressed with the grips you made where the right panel was thicker than the left, that was such a cool idea.

I’ve been working on getting my ecrater site opened, but always come back here for motivation and I get, tons of it.

Thank You
  5. Woodnut

Here is a shot of my latest inlay work. The customer wanted a particular font, so we finally found the one he wanted. Then we decided on mother of pearl for the inlay. I ordered the MOP and starting cutting out the letters with a jewelers saw and the MOP was too brittle for the tiny cuts that had to be made. So I had to scrap that idea. ( I really think it was inferior MOP ). Anyway we decided on a poured inlay with pure Ivory dust in the epoxy. Didn't work, I tried it on a sample of the same wood and when dried and polished it turned gray. Soooooo, then I came up with using the Snow white Holly, boy am I glad I did, because once finished you cannot tell it from real Ivory.
    If there is interest in how this inlay was done, just ask here in this thread and I will answer in the sticky at the top of the page.
    Thanks for looking.
    Carl

PS Hotsights, keep up the good work and thanks for the kind words, always appreciated. Talk to you later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  6. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Former Guest

Did I miss the thread where the modification to the step drill bit was detailed? I searched for a description of the modification but didn't find it...

Thanks,
    Scott
  7. Woodnut

Thanks for asking Scott.
    I don't think I ever gave a detailed description of how I altered the bit. I will try to place a PDF file in the Sticky at the top of the page (Step by Step Instructions) with pictures and instructions. If this does not work send me an email and I will send it directly to you. cwgrips@gmail.com

Hope this helps.
  8. hotsights

hotsights New Member

The lettering/Inlay is beautiful, so crisp yet, graceful. I've had some inlay problems from the cutting side and its all because I try to go too fast, this is slow art, you can't rush it unless the fire place is short of wood. Carl, I have about 20 little plastic bags of wood-dust from all the woods I've sanded. What I often find is that when the dust is mixed with epoxy, the wood-dust mix becomes much darker than I had expected, To lighten it up as a re-do, I use white maple to get the tone to match the grip.

Guess without mistakes, there is no way to really, learn something on your own, I think I'm aproaching the Wizard level, ha, ha. I'm doing a pair of grips from Bubinga and inlaying a RazorBack Hog in them, have one done, still short a hog to get the other done. As you said Carl, slow & clean cuts are a major key to clean inlay. Your lessons keep coming back to me as I learn more and try more.

Thanks
  9. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Woodnut your work is always amazing.
  10. Woodnut

As usual, I make grips and deliver and do not make pictures. This set is unique in a different way than usual. I would like to post a quote here that the customer conveyed to me, then I will continue.
    I am an infantry sniper in the army, a S with an arrow through it is the symbol for the primary position of a sniper, but when our section was formed and we tried to find a design to post on our office surprisingly we couldn't find anything we tried the Google image thing, looked up tattoos etc. and we couldn't find anything. (Snipers through out history have been the most hated and feared combatant on the battlefield, so traditionally snipers don't display the fact that they are snipers. If tabs are made like that of a ranger tab they are concealed on the uniform. Friendly forces back in the day hated snipers almost as much as the enemy.) So was our trouble in finding a design but we have a guy whose fairly artistic who drew us up something and thats where the snake in the design of an S and a arrow came from. Feel free to use it as you like, I appreciate your work.
    -mike

This customer sent me a drawing of this design, I then re-drew it on the computer in order to have a clear line drawing of what was expected of me for the inlay work. I then sent it back to him and he approved it. The customer furnished the grips which are made of black polymer, I really did not want to work in the polymer but as a favor to him I chose to do it. They actually turned out rather nice.
    Since he gave permission to use the design again, I may change the drawing of the head and use it for other things.
    As usual all comments are welcome. Let me know what you think of the white on black thing. The second picture is not very good. He sent it to me after he mounted the grips on his gun. He is going to send me some better pictures and I will post them later.
    Thanks for looking.
    Carl

Attached Files:

11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

12. Goneracin

Goneracin Member

damn woodnut, some of those USMC grips look amazing. is it possible to buy some from you? I would love to have a pair.
  13. Woodnut

Absolutely.
    Just email me at cwgrips@gmail.com and tell me what you are interested in and we can go from there.
    Thanks for looking.
    Carl
  14. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Jeee Pers, what beautiful artistry. No doubt that Sniper group is very proud of their design and the manner in which you gave it the power of life. That looks almost a fine as some of the laser work you have shown/shared with us. Is wood Ebony?

BTW: Is the design inlay done with some of that White Holly?
  15. Zane71464

Those are totally amazing!
    VERY nice, and love the white on black!