The Firearms Forum banner

How to customize your 1911 grips

Tags
192K views 706 replies 105 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
In this thread I will try to tell you how I do my work. I will be the teacher so to speak. I am sure there are a lot of you out there that know more than I do, but I will share my ways, as well as ask questions on your ways. I can always learn, you never stop learning. I have been customizing for many years and now am ready to give some of my tips to others. Below is a picture of a set of Cherrywood that is just plain beautiful. I stippled a design on them and finished with Tru-Oil. I will post new pictures for your enjoyment in the future. ENJOY THE BEAUTY.

See less See more
#452 ·
Full size 1911 Kimber. Grip thickness is .172, a little thicker than slim line, and a little thinner than standard. These go to NC to a lady who ordered a set of slim line grips from Kimber and they measued .181, said she wanted them a little thinner, so this is what I cam up with. She liked the ones I did for DoubleD, so she ordered the same thing in the full size. She picked a beautiful piece of AZ Desert Ironwood.
Enjoy! Now don't look at the photography because it is a little blurred as usual. Someday I will get the hang of it.

Attachments

#455 ·
Dan, I would like to know how you make such great pictures. I know lighting has a lot to do with it. Don't come back and say it was made with my Iphone and no special lighting.
I may end up getting an Iphone just to make pictures with. Those are great. I saved those pictures to your file and I am going to crop them a little and use them on my Gallery2 that I have been working on. The one I have now has enough pictures on it, so I am making a second one.

#456 ·
Dan, I would like to know how you make such great pictures. I know lighting has a lot to do with it. Don't come back and say it was made with my Iphone and no special lighting.
I may end up getting an Iphone just to make pictures with. Those are great. I saved those pictures to your file and I am going to crop them a little and use them on my Gallery2 that I have been working on. The one I have now has enough pictures on it, so I am making a second one.
Seriously I have a cheap little kodak camera that has to have a battery change every 10 pictures it takes and it is set on auto focus. I dont do anything but hold it close to the gun and snap the picture and then download it and crop it to size. No lighting except what is in the room (which is lousy) and I am the biggest amateur with a camera there is.

#458 ·
Thanks Dan. I don't know how many mega pixles you have, but you need to hang on to that camera. It does a super job. Wish I had one.
I hate this piece of crap camera. It dies on you all the time. Its nothing special at all. Its a z1285...12mp its 5-6 yrs old. I have been thinking about buying a real camera one day and if I do, I will gladly send you this one....

#460 · (Edited)
Dan, that gun is gorgeous!

And ATI, Rochester NY? I live in Rochester.
Its a Philippine made gun made by shooters arms manufacturing or S.A.M. for short, but made well and it shoots good. I had it in the shop when I closed down and it ended up in my collection. I wouldnt hesitate to own another...

#461 ·
Here is a different kind of grip it has second coma version of the second amendment written on it. The wood is Pecan. First Pecan I have worked, it did very well. Little curve to the grain, nothing fancy. But it was what the customer wanted. He did pick it out.
Tell me your thoughts, ya'll.

Attachments

#462 ·
How can you not love anything with the 2nd on it!!

#464 ·
Been awhile since I showed any grips. Took some out of the shop today, this one turned out real good I thought. I used gold leaf paint to fill the cut and then used Renaissance wax to seal it. It is the Knights of Columbus logo. These are built out of Black Paper Micarta and shined to a mirror finish. Black, Black, Black. Picture don't show how really black they are.

Attachments

#466 ·
Well, you know the grips I have on my rock island tactical. Well, Steve4102 sent me a set just like them and I put them on my brushed nickel Citadel and I think they look good. He doesnt like the aggressive grips but I do. Here is what they look like, this may give you an idea.....

Attachments

#467 ·
Another set of Chaplins Cross grips for a ND customer. Bone White Corian with silver crosses inlaid. I get a lot of request for these grips and always have the customer find the crosses, because I can't locate any. I think I want to do a set for inventory with the Christian Fish inlaid in the white Corian. I'll bet that would look awesome. Now to find the neckless or ear rings the size I want.

Attachments

#468 ·
Here is another set I just shipped to AZ, they are special order. the one with the medallion is oversize because he did not want the medallion bent. CO Elk Horn.
The initials are his draw. It is his father, his and his son's initals and someone in the family drew the monogram.

Attachments

#475 ·
This set ends all my orders until after the surgery. Now the rest of the week it will be yard work. leaves, leaves leaves.
The inlays are on a smooth part of a heart design and there is a heart around the bottom screw hole. It's a little hard to see in the pictture, but if you look close you can make it out. This was designed by the customer.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.