The Firearms Forum banner

How to customize your 1911 grips

Tags
192K views 706 replies 105 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
In this thread I will try to tell you how I do my work. I will be the teacher so to speak. I am sure there are a lot of you out there that know more than I do, but I will share my ways, as well as ask questions on your ways. I can always learn, you never stop learning. I have been customizing for many years and now am ready to give some of my tips to others. Below is a picture of a set of Cherrywood that is just plain beautiful. I stippled a design on them and finished with Tru-Oil. I will post new pictures for your enjoyment in the future. ENJOY THE BEAUTY.

See less See more
#478 ·
Get back to us soon Carl, we need you to create all those great grip designs we have floating around in our heads we haven't told you about. I will have a new custom commander that will need a set of your grips to set it apart from every other custom out there. Our prayers are with you. Good luck and may God speed your recovery.

#479 ·
I have recovered enough to take some orders now. Might be a little slow on the beginning but I will be back at full speed before you know it. I am starting to work in the shop this afternoon. I would go out there this morning but I have some errands to run for the wife that will take until noon.
Ya'll be safe and enjoy the TX 5 BBQ

#481 ·
Hope all is well with you. I am working on a commander size custom build and will be ordering for them soon. Your grips are so good, I would not consider any body else making custom grips for me. Glad to see you back.

#533 ·
Hope all is well with you. I am working on a commander size custom build and will be ordering for them soon. Your grips are so good, I would not consider any body else making custom grips for me.

Carl,
I have finished my long awaited 2nd custom build and now I need your advice on what kind of grips to put on it.
Gun Firearm Trigger White Gun accessory

Attachments

#483 ·
This is some more of the finest Desert Ironwood I've seen, then again I say this each time I get hold of Ironwood in high grade.
This is a before inlay and after inlay. The wood looks awesone without the inlays. You can tell I am not a photo person. These were made for a US postal Inspector, he sent me the medallions. One is a mini badge the other is the mad bomber.
Nice huh?

Attachments

#484 ·
This is a set of Ivory grips and a Ivory Micarta knife. The knife is a PRO-TECH and really is a fantastic knife. The customer sent me the medallions and told me what he wanted. I think this is one of the hardest inlays I have attempted. I could not work on them more than 30 min at a time before a break. I would get all tensed up and afraid I would make a mistake, so I would go in the house for a few minutes.
They turned out really well.

Attachments

#488 ·
I like them Carl, what are the inlays?

#491 ·
Ok, I have seen them. I just didnt know what they were...they look good.

#492 · (Edited)
First time post I'll take the Noob hits if needed----

Ok I had a person tell RIA bushing and grip screws were different from Standard 1911s. I didn't think so

I drilled the 15/64s bushing hole and the 9/32s counter sink...seemed perfect

Anyone know for sure???

Brown Electronic device Photograph White Technology
Made these for my buddy- Citadel .45ACP

Amber Artifact Natural material
Spalted Hackberry

Brown Green Property Photograph White
Same Spalted Hackberry but Walnut Stained

#496 ·
Carl,
got your drill bit yesterday. Thanks.

Here is a frustrating question for you. I get tiny specks of (lent/dirt ect) on my finish (Tru-oil) no matter what I do right now.

I've used lent free clothes and my finger ( washed off of course) directly from the bottle...

The grips look awesome but....I see the flawed finish.. Help please

Attachments

#497 ·
Carl,
got your drill bit yesterday. Thanks.

Here is a frustrating question for you. I get tiny specks of (lent/dirt ect) on my finish (Tru-oil) no matter what I do right now.

I've used lent free clothes and my finger ( washed off of course) directly from the bottle...

The grips look awesome but....I see the flawed finish.. Help please
Jer12345,
Good morning. Just now read your post. Your grips are looking great. Hope the bit helped with the counter bore process.
More than likely the lint and dust in the finish is because you are applying the Tru-Oil in the same area you are sanding and using steel wool, etc. I always do my sanding and polishing in the shop, once ready for the finish I take the grips in the house and wipe the grips very good with a tac rag. Tac rags can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot either one or almost any paint supply place. Once the finish is applied I then place the grips under a lamp with either a heat bulb or a high watt bulb of some kind that produces some heat. Careful though, don't get the heat bulb too close or it will make the finish dry too fast and wrinkle on you. I usually use a small goose neck lamp with a small heat bulb and keep it about 12-16 inches above the grips. This also helps them to dry faster which is less time that lint or dust will stick to the finish.
Hope this helps.

#498 ·
I have not posted on this thread in a long time. I have several grips I want to show. If some of them are already posted I apologize, just look at them again. :D I am devoting this post to a rifle I built in 1976, the wood is screw bean mesquite. The checkering is a Flur De Le and Ribbons design in a 22 line per inch diamond checkering.

Attachments

#499 ·
Now for the grips.

Attachments

#500 ·
Bump it up. Can't let this thread die. It has been to good to do that. Here is a couple of recent sets that was mailed out.
The first picture is of some CO Elk horn I had here at the shop. This guy wanted all the bark he could get. Still has a lot of white but there is not much way around it when the horns are not gigantic.
The second set is a set of Mesquite that the customer wanted me to hand checker and put a Sea Bee medallion in them. I tried to get out of the checkering but he would not take no for an answer. I thought sure when I told him the price he would back down, but no, it was hand done or nothing. So I spent many hours on them. Turned out nice but I still don't like to do it because of what I have to charge.

Attachments

#501 ·
Carl,
amazing work... thank you for posting... I really appreciate seeing what you've done...

Still very happy with the ones you did for me too...

Hope you have a productive and great day. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.