The Firearms Forum banner

How to customize your 1911 grips

Tags
192K views 706 replies 105 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
In this thread I will try to tell you how I do my work. I will be the teacher so to speak. I am sure there are a lot of you out there that know more than I do, but I will share my ways, as well as ask questions on your ways. I can always learn, you never stop learning. I have been customizing for many years and now am ready to give some of my tips to others. Below is a picture of a set of Cherrywood that is just plain beautiful. I stippled a design on them and finished with Tru-Oil. I will post new pictures for your enjoyment in the future. ENJOY THE BEAUTY.

See less See more
#537 ·
Excellent work Carl. As usual sir.

Shane will be very fond of this pistol we are putting together for him to commemorate his mother.

Reactions: gdmoody
#543 ·
Very nice Carl. I really like the usn grips second row left...

#544 ·
Beautiful craftsmanship!

#545 ·
Thanks guys. I have been having a computer glitch for the past month or so is the main reason for not posting. I finally figured out how to fix the problem about 10 last night,I bout jumped with joy. Now I can get that off my mind and take care of business. I will get on the main computer sometime today and post up a few more pictures.
Dan those are ligum verte, not sure of spelling, but it is the wood used for the prop shaft bearings on ships. Also used for instrument necks (banjo) in piticular. It is a really hard wood. Look close at this set and notice the lettering around the outer curve of the design.

#548 ·
Wood Hardwood String instrument accessory Wood stain Musical instrument accessory
Well finally got my computer working again. I have had a back log of grips to be laser cut. Here is a bad picture of a set that was finished today. I shipped the rest of them without photographing them. Most of my customers send me pictures of the grips on their gun, so I will post them as I get them back. BTW these are mine, I also belong to another forum. Wood Product Hardwood Wood stain Trigger

#556 ·
Thanks for bumping the thread, else I would have never seen it. I'm a woodworker also and I work with several exotic hardwoods, amboyna burl and afzelia xy- lay being my favorites and when I saw the photo of your amboyna grips on the front page, I said I've got to make a set of those!

Thanks for the idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.