How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Warith

Warith Member

I am not a 1911 fan but I am a Carl fan every time I see something new from him makes me want a 1911 so I can get a set of his grips.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Carl, those grips look great !!

I brought that wood out of Central America about eight years ago. I'll try to find the other one while I'm healing up and mail it to you. I honestly don't know how the two pieces of wood got seperated, but they did. Just hang in there, I'll find it. :D
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are some nice cocos sam. Good job carl.
  4. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Been away for a while. Thanks to all for the comments about my work. Your kind words are my inspiration to strive to be better.
    I should have something new for you to look at very soon. I have made several sets since Sam's, but have not photographed any. I just hate to make pictures because in my eyes they never do the grips justice. Just can't seem to get the picture taking down pat.
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

Carl,

My wife does beaded and fused glass jewelry (makes her own beads and fused glass) and needed to photograph her work. I was meandering around in Walmart while she was shopping and I stumbled across a little set up from Kodak (I think) that provided a opaque box and lights for indirect soft light that didn't break the bank. Don't know if they still carry them but you might take a look in their photo dept. It just might fit your needs.
  6. Woodnut

MAN !!!!!! , Thanks for that info, I will check it out this week end. If I end up with something I will let you know.
    Thanks again.

BTW, I noticed you were from NW AR. I spent a few years in FT. Smith working. We lived in Van Buren when the tornado took our house in 95,or 96 I can't remember. We then rented in south Ft Smith for about a year before moving to the coast.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Airdale, where abouts are you from? I live in Dardanelle and my inlaws live in Bentonville.
  8. Airdale

Airdale Member

I'm on Beaver lake about 12 miles from Rogers in the Coppermine area. Not too far from Bentonville. Got a nice shootin range about a mile away (free) but it's packed if you don't get there early, even on weekdays. Give a yell if your in the area.
  9. Woodnut

Airdale
    I worked with a friend that lived in Seligman, Mo. Then my superintendent was from Beaver. The wife and I did our honeymoon thing in Eureka Springs. Went to see the passion play and stayed up there for a week or so, several years ago. Really a beautiful spot in the US, we really enjoyed it.
  10. Woodnut

This is a set of Desert Ironwood Burl with some of the nicest grain I have seen. I built these for a forum member and he is going to post pictures of them on the gun. I told him this morning on the phone that it was a good thing I didn't own a EMP or I would refund his money and keep the grips for myself. Of coarse I fall in love with all the grips I make because of the grain patterns. For those that are wondering who they are for, I will let him tell you. I will ship the grips tomorrow morning. He should have them by Wensday or Thursday.
    Still having trouble with reflections, but these pictures came out fairly well seeing that these grips are like glass.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yea they are nice, and I just happen to own an EMP....
  13. Airdale

Airdale Member

Sorry DD but they're headed to Arkansas....BUT Woodnut's supplier had some similar blanks you might want to dress up your EMP with. That is some pretty wood and Carl sure brings out it's beauty.
  14. TinkerDave

TinkerDave New Member

If you get a reflector for your flash or use a light box (Web search for DIY light box), you will eliminate your hot spots. Also, you generally need about 3 times as much light as you would think in order to get good photos. You can also search for tutorials on product photography to get more ideas. My 2 cents worth.TD
  15. ppduss

ppduss New Member

those are sexy grips !