1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Many thanks to all you guys with the kind words. They are always appreciated.
    Sorry I haven't answered your question on the bit before now, but been having issues with the wife having her knee replaced. She is doing well and at home now trying to get over it.

The reason for the altered step bit.
    The step bit comes out of the package with a 1/4 inch step up to the next step 9/32. You can use the 1/4 inch and have a little slack in the grip fit. I like a good tight fit of the grips to the frame. So I take the 1/4 step down to 15/64 for the center hole (which is the exact size of the bushing) then the 9/32 is exactly what is needed for the counter bore. At the top of this forum is a Sticky Thread titled "Building 1911 grips "step by step". Take a look at the tutorial in post number 9, that pretty well shows how it is used. Once altered you can use it without even clamping the grip, it will self align.
    If you have further questions on this or any other facet of grip making, please don't hesitate to contact me.
    Thanks for the question.

I would like to take the time to thank Hotsights personally. He can do some awesome grip making and I would like to think I had a little info to help him along the way. He was a very dedicated student and did every thing I ask of him, and his work shows it.
    A special thanks goes out to you Martin.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. SWirsty

SWirsty New Member

:yeahthat:
    I dont know if anyone could have written this any better. I have been talking to Carl for a couple weeks now about a set of grips for my new 1911 and with that post I have never experienced anyone as personable and likeable right of the get goas Carl. We have been talking through email and on the phone once and he has never led me to believe any different.

Hey Carl. Looking forward to chatting again soon. Ill get these things straightened out soon enough. Puple Heart for the SW Mod 686?? Maybe Tulip or Olive.

Take care of the wife. She needs you most now.

Talk to you soon!
  3. Woodnut

Well I haven't put any eye candy on this thread in a while. Here is a set that I did today for my pistol. It is made out of Corian. I had never used this material before. someone gave me this piece about a year or more ago and it was just laying outside leaned up against the shop. So today I was working on a customers grips that was made out of Corian, so I thought I would try it and I really like the way it works. Then after cutting the Corian to the right thickness for the grips I had a real thin piece left over, so I cut inlays out of it to see how that would look in some walnut scrap I had in the shop. Well it looks good to me. Here I go rambling again.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

4. H-D

H-D Active Member

those are real nice!
  5. Cecil_Xzandu

Cecil_Xzandu New Member

Ok. So I made a couple of sets. (I'll put pictures up soon. Stupid iPhone.) I used tung oil on them but they do not have a shiny surface. Did I do something wrong. I sanded them down for a long time with 220 grit. Also, how will they hold up to sweat? I carry SOB with an inside the waistband holster.
  6. Woodnut

Welcome to the forum Cecil.
    When using Tung oil the wood soaks up almost all of the oil and leaves a satin finish. If it is used on a very hard wood it can sometimes be buffed out to a shinny finish, depending on how many coats you give it.
    Personally I think you should do more sanding, and go all the way thru at least 1200 grit. I will sometimes go all the way to 2000, depending on the finish I have in mind. I also use Birchwood Casy's Tru-Oil gunstock finish for a bright shinny finish. Usually about 4 coats will do the trick if sanded properly.
    I will be glad to give you some pointers and discuss the process if you will email me at cwgrips@gmail.com.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Top notch as always Carl. I like the corian, it is very Ivory looking and I am a fan of Ivory. Just dont like the aged yellowing. Suppose i should say im an Ivory polymer fan then.. ;)
  8. Woodnut

Josh, this Corian shouldn't yellow since it's main use was for counter tops. This piece I have is Bone color, but you can get it in almost any color of the rainbow. You might just have to have a set of them. LOL.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Is it similar to formica?
  10. Woodnut

More like Marble or bone. Works a lot like Micarta. Should be some strong stuff. I'm sure as much as you have cooked you have seen or even used a Corian cutting board, they are real popular.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use thin plastic cutting boards. Easy to clean and they roll up and fit inside a paper towel tube.

But I see what you mean.
  12. Woodnut

These cutting boards can be seen at wal mart with a sorta handle on them, some are a plastic and some are Corian. Pretty neat stuff. Tell you what when I get back from TN, I will send you a piece of it so you can experiment with it.
  13. Cecil_Xzandu

Cecil_Xzandu New Member

As promised. These are the two sets I've made so far.

(sorry they are so big. I don't know how to make them smaller.)

Attached Files:

14. ehparis

ehparis New Member

Resizing is probably easiest with Photoshop.
  15. Woodnut

Cecil
    The grips look nice, you did a great job on them. As for resizing the pictures I use Microsoft Picture Manager. It usually comes with the Microsoft Office program. I am not sure if it can be bought in a stan alone software or not, but it works really well for cropping and resizing. You can even mess with the tones of the picture if you like.
    Keep up the good work.