The Firearms Forum banner

How to customize your 1911 grips

Tags
192K views 706 replies 105 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
In this thread I will try to tell you how I do my work. I will be the teacher so to speak. I am sure there are a lot of you out there that know more than I do, but I will share my ways, as well as ask questions on your ways. I can always learn, you never stop learning. I have been customizing for many years and now am ready to give some of my tips to others. Below is a picture of a set of Cherrywood that is just plain beautiful. I stippled a design on them and finished with Tru-Oil. I will post new pictures for your enjoyment in the future. ENJOY THE BEAUTY.

See less See more
#644 ·
Here are a couple of sets of grips that I just mailed. I have been slacking off on posting the grips, figured ya'll were getting tired of looking at them. The ones that are so busy are made out of Texas Persimmon, they will not be used after presentation. They will be placed in a shadow box.
The other set is made of White Corian. Font Games
Games Recreation Label

#646 ·
I second that. I like looking at great craftsmanship.

#659 ·
Those are nice.

I keep trying to figure what I would like on my GSG 1911. We can't have grown-up 1911's over here, but we can have .22 semi-auto pistols and rifles.

The GSG is supposed to have most of the qualities of a regular 1911, so I am thinking that the grips would be the same. But I haven't figured out what I would like to have on them.

Where you been and how you doing? Hain't seen you in a spell.
I'll second that.

Reactions: Woodnut
#661 ·
BlackEagle:
A little curious about the GSG I ran a google search on it and this is what I found on the grips, so after reading this, it tells me that the grips are the same as the US 1911 and clones. So all you need to do is let me know the wood you want and what you want on them and we are all set.

Grips

The factory GSG grips are checkered, and depending on the model, are made of either plastic or wood. The wood grips on the test sample were done in the classic Colt style "Double Diamond" pattern. They didn't exhibit much grain and were not fancy by any means. They were functional, utilitarian, and pretty good looking. Thus, while any aftermarket grips intended for a 1911 will fit the GSG 1911 .22, there is no urgent need to replace the factory grips unless you are looking to upgrade the looks of your gun.

#662 ·
Thanks for that, Woodnut. Very much appreciated.

Like I said, I'm looking at it and wondering what would be best. I'll keep thinking.

The UK legal version of the GSG has the long barrel and an extension on the grip to make it compliant with length laws.

Mine looks like this...That on the barrel is not a silencer. It's a decorative shroud. I removed mine. The barrel sticks out the length of the shroud.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

Reactions: Woodnut
#666 ·
Thanks, Woodnut. I was thinking I hadn't seen much of you for a while; hope you're OK.

I've been thinking about that. I don't have any particular preferance of wood.

As for graphics:

The Cameronian Regiment has a badge.
Purple Illustration Graphics Plant Symmetry
Or monochrome:
Leaf Illustration Emblem Headgear Symbol

History behind that: The regiment was named for Richard Cameron, a pastor who was killed in battle after publishing the Sanquahr Declaration, which could be called a precursor to the US Declaration of Independence. http://reformationhistory.org/richardcameron.html

The Cameronians have since been amalgamated into the British Army, along with almost all the other Scottish regiments.

It would be a complicated design, and maybe not very doable.

Other side: The Blue Banner that has evolved from the flags the Christians carried into battle in Scotland during the 1600's:
Font Clip art Banner

#672 ·
Thanks, Woodnut. I was thinking I hadn't seen much of you for a while; hope you're OK.

I've been thinking about that. I don't have any particular preferance of wood.

As for graphics:

The Cameronian Regiment has a badge.
View attachment 143538 Or monochrome: View attachment 143539

History behind that: The regiment was named for Richard Cameron, a pastor who was killed in battle after publishing the Sanquahr Declaration, which could be called a precursor to the US Declaration of Independence. http://reformationhistory.org/richardcameron.html

The Cameronians have since been amalgamated into the British Army, along with almost all the other Scottish regiments.

It would be a complicated design, and maybe not very doable.

Other side: The Blue Banner that has evolved from the flags the Christians carried into battle in Scotland during the 1600's:
View attachment 143540
BlackEagle I am so sorry for the bad timing on this. I have just been lazy I guess and have not checked in lately.
Of the 3 pictures that you show, the flag would be the hardest for me because of the colors.
The monochrome would be the easiest but I think I can color the other one also. If you are still interested the best way to reach me any time is by email cwgrips@gmail.com.
Thanks for the interest and again I apologize for the delay in answering you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.