How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I really like the grain in the Mesquite wood! Almost looks like a "light" Walnut grain wood.
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Here is a set of custom olive wood I shipped today. The customer did the spelling for me, it had some special meaning to him. I cut the lettering and then outlined it in a darker tone. Looks pretty cool to me.

Attached Files:

3. Woodnut

I had almost forgot to tell y'all that I am now geared up to build custom grips for the new 1911-22. Seems like there is no one building wood grips for this gun. 2times shoot sent me his original grips and I built him a set. Then using his original grips I built a jig for the screw hole pattern and the size of the grips. So if anyone needs a pair or information on how to build them, just let me know.
  4. Woodnut

A request. Padauk wood.

Attached Files:

5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice.....I love that wood........
  6. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo New Member

my Taurus Pt 1911 grips

Attached Files:

• 1911.jpg
      1911.jpg
      File size:
      56.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  7. Woodnut

Hey man! those are some awesome grips.
    Did you make them from scratch?
    What about the carving of the skull, that looks great. Tell us a little about yourself, and some more information on the grips. Looks like Maple to me but then these pictures can be deceiving, might be KOA.
    Thanks for posting, looking forward to some conversation with you.
  8. Woodnut

I know I have posted these grips before, but this is a photo of them after the customer requested the Badlands Texture on them.

This is a before and after of the grips. The finish was also changed from a high gloss to a Satin.
    Comments Welcome
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

9. Woodnut

I apologize for not letting ya'll know before now. I have been away from the forum for a while with shoulder surgery and now I am healing well and on vacation with my wife. I will be back online next week when I return home. In the mean time if you have questions please direct them to cwgrips@gmail.com
    This email will come to my cell phone.
    I will be up and running by next week.
    see ya.
  10. Woodnut

Well I am finally about half way back to normal. The shoulder is still a little sore but for the most part I can do pretty much what I want except reach real high. (no jumping jacks):)
    We made it home from vacation Saturday late. I spent Sunday resting and then yesterday I spent all day catching up on the email that I hadn't answered and talking to customers I had put on hold. Maybe today I can post a little and then work in the shop for a while.
    You know the best part of a vacation is when you get home. Those vacations will wear you out.

For you people that want to build your own grips, but let the screw hole spacing scare you off. I have built a jig out of Aluminum with a Stainless hardened drill bushing that will be a big help to those afraid of hole spacing. This jig lets you drill the holes exactly spot on every time.

I have made up kits to sell on my web site. It is explained very well on the site, there are 4 ways to buy it. From the Deluxe to just the jig alone. For example the Deluxe comes with the jig, the drill bit, the step bit, wood scales and a 10 page .pdf file that serves as a tutorial, step by step to walk you through to the finished grip. Then there are 3 variations of the kit at different prices, so you can pick and choose the one you would like. This is located on page 5 under the pricing tab on the web site.
    This is a picture of some grips a customer sent me. Some more grips that I had not photographed.

Attached Files:

11. UncleDannie

UncleDannie New Member

Welcome back, Carl. I just received my jig today, will start using it this weekend. The workmanship of the jig is flawless, like all of your endeavors. The PDF file was well written and the photo tutorial was easy to follow along. Again, welcome back and thanks.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Carl, do you know what happened to the original grips off of that Smith TA you have in that picture? I am interested in them.
  13. Woodnut

Well it has been a while since I posted anything, mainly because of surgery and a Hurricane. Here is 3 sets that just rolled out of the shop. Will have some more hopefully before I leave for GA. The first pair is for a Valor in which the customer wanted to match the font used on the slide of the gun to letter the phase "Live Free or Die" The wood is Olive. The next 2 sets are dyed stabilized spalted maple, they are for a pair of matching Colts. One full size, the other is a Officers Model.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

14. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Beautiful work, as always, Carl...........Keep posting your artwork and we'll keep droolin' and dreamin'.
  15. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Just joined the forum the other day, and have been poking around on the site a little. Pleased to see there are other folks here who make grips. I've done a couple, most recently for a Sig 1911-22 I bought this year. Birdseye maple, ebony. The lettering was laser etched, the stripes cut from ebony and inlaid.

[​IMG]