How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum Gunny: I think once you look around you will have to say this is the best on the web.
    I'm glad to see that you are into grip making. Those look great and the inlay looks fantastic.
    If I can ever answer any questions for you, just give me a holler. Looks like you have a great gift of woodwork, which is a must to build grips. Keep up the good work.
    Call some time if you would like to chat about grips. My number is in the web site below.
  2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Thanks. I've been doing serious woodworking for only about 12 years. I retired in 2000 to a few acres of forest in NE MS and was able to set up a decent small shop. I do mostly furniture, fancy boxes (including a few fitted pistol/revolver boxes ), etc. for fun and profit. Lots of leftovers from that and I hate to toss expensive woods, so I use scraps for small stuff like this.

I've enjoyed eyeballing your work. You're very good :) .

Here's a shot of the display I made for my den a few years ago that you might like. :) Cedar and persimmon.

[​IMG]
  3. Woodnut

Man! All I can say is WOW. That is beautiful. I am originally from Decatur County TN. Which should not be far from where you are in NE MS. If I have my bearings right you should be somewhere around Iuka or at least in the vacenity. I was born and raised on Kentucky Lake, or Tennessee River whichever you want to call it. I have done my share of fishing on Pick Wick Lake. Caught a lot of Small and Large mouth in that area.
    I also built custom furniture for a long time then went into the smaller stuff because of age and strength. It takes a good man to build and install custom furniture, something I loved to do, just can't do it any more. Building the grips is really satisfieing to me and I take a lot of pride in doing it.
    Mr. you have got it going your way. That is some awesome work. If you are ever in South MS, please look me up. I am just out of Gulfport toward Slidell, LA at exit 16 on I-10
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

I'm kinda in the same position. Gettin up in years. Be 68 next month. Just finished a staircase redo for a cousin. Don't plan on doing that again! If you're interested, here's a where I put pics of some of what I've done. Feel free to poke around.

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j155/43gm94l/ .

Most of my work is in the Shop/Old Projects folder.

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j155/43gm94l/Shop/Old projects/

Haven't been down to the Gulf Coast in a few years. Wife has some relatives in Gulfport. Need to get down to see them again, so I might take you up on that offer sometime. Nice meeting you :) .

PS: We've got about 30acres in Hamilton, MS. Just north of Columbus.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  5. Woodnut

Here is a new set of grips I turned out today. They are made of Bone Corian and are full size with ambi cut. Anyone interested contact me. They are not on the web site yet. I probably won't put them up until after the gun show on Nov 3-4. The reason being is that I think they will sell at the show.
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

6. Woodnut

Here is another set I have been working on for a while now. Just finished them up today. They were special ordered.
    These have the SIS design with the badlands texture and was inked after putting the texture on, then a coat of finish was applied. This is a new technique for me. But turned out good I'm sure I will have more orders for these bad boys.
    Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

7. Woodnut

Here is another set of Officers grips for a gentleman that wanted an EOD logo on them. He chose the KOA wood and they turned out good.

Attached Files:

• Paul.JPG
      Paul.JPG
      File size:
      156.7 KB
      Views:
  8. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Very nice grips Carl. Never had the chance to work with Koa, myself.

I did find some very nice Flame Box Elder in a tree I salvaged this past spring tho. Not quite as nice as this ;), but it was a welcome surprise. :) About 200bf. Should be dry by next fall.

[​IMG]
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'm still trying to find someone who can make grips for my RIA 1911-A2, double stack. They need to be thin but it looks to me like not an impossible task for someone with the tools. Seems like you could just start out with regular 1911 grips, then mill off the back side along a straight line to match the contour of the wider mag well. There are tabs along one edge just below the thumb safety that complicate the job though.

Custom wood grips are available for the Para double stack but they wont fit the RIA which has a slightly different grip screw hole spacing. If anyone is willing to give this a try, please pm me.
  10. Woodnut

If I had the right tools to do it I would say yes I can help. But I just don't have the mill it would take to do this. I built 2 sets for the Para P14 and each time I really lost my but in labor, because of the intense work on the back side of the grip. I had to do all of this with a chisel and rasp and it took me almost a week on the first pair. Then I thought I would do a second pair faster, well I was wrong. So I came to the conclusion that there would be no more.
    Wish I could help. If I were a young man I would buy a mill, because there is really a market for this type grip. But I'm so old I could never pay for such a machine.
  11. Woodnut

That is some beautiful Elder, wanna share? LOL. That is some of the nicest I have seen. It would be nice to send it to someone that could stabilize it for you. I don't have a clue as to the charge for something like this, but think that if it is reasonable, it would be worth it.
  12. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Remind me next fall. Maybe we can work a deal. Sometimes the bright red colors fade out considerably as it dries, so at this point I don't know if any of it will be worth anything.

Btw, here's a site where might find some in the near term http://woodbarter.com/index.php . This is not a commercial site, but a forum where you can buy/sell privately.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  13. Woodnut

That sounds good. I will try and remember to remind you.
    Thanks.
  14. Woodnut

Trying to get caught up for the Deer hunt. I did happen to make a picture. I usually forget to make until it is shipped, Then it is too late. These are made of bonded Ivory.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

15. Woodnut

More custom grips.

Attached Files: