How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Woodnut... coming in at the end... but have you ever used Olive?
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Thanks for looking, and to answer your question, I have not used Olive wood.
    On the other hand, I have seriously looked for some that is really nice grain. I would like to find some that is original Holy Land Olive wood. I am sure I will find it in the near future, if I can afford it.
    Do you make grips also?
  3. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

You're in luck Carl... cause I picked some up when I was over there several years ago... with exactly that in mind... 1911 grips I mean. I don't have very big piece... maybe you can carve out 2 pairs... maybe more if you are really resourceful... I'll throw it in the mail to you tomorrow... then we can chat about what to do with it.
    Steve
  4. Woodnut

Gosh!!!! Steve, that is great. I found some on ebay but the width was a little shy. So I still continue to look. Hopefully the wood you will send will be enough to at least build one set, maybe more. Boy I can't wait till it gets here.

A big THANK YOU.
    Carl
  5. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Olive Wood, being the amature that I am, I had never heard of Olive wood, just branches. I looked around on the net and found several images of Olive wood and its very beautiful especially that Olive Burl. A guy can learn a lot on this site, always an interesting visit.
  6. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Just wait till you see the grips that Carl can make with Olive wood...
  7. Woodnut

Thanks Steve,
    Like I said, I can hardly wait for the wood. What part of the country are you from, so I can estimate the shipping time. All the Olive Wood I have seen has been absolutely gorgeous, and I know this will be also.
  8. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Carl... I'm in Colorado... and I just mailed the package to you this afternoon. Look forward to getting your feedback. I did notice that that olive wood is reeeal hard... hope you can whittle on it okay. Do you have a way to "resaw" the blank looks like it's about 1/2" thick and I was hoping you could split it an maybe get more grips out of it.
  9. Woodnut

Steve, Thanks for getting it in the mail so soon. As far as the hardness of the wood, the harder the better, I will have no trouble with it's hardness. The size is what I will have to play with. If it is only 1/2" thick I can re saw it, but cannot end up with enough thickness for two sets because of the saw thickness. You have to have an absolute .250 minimum for the finished grip. On the other hand if we were to make slim line grips, who knows I'm just speculating, I need to wait and see the wood then talk to you about options.
    I will let you know when I receive them. I am hoping you will include an email address so we can chat. Or I have no problem with you contacting me at my email address, or a phone call either one.
    I should have the wood by Monday or Tuesday.
    Later.
  10. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Steve,

Ever since you mentioned Olive wood, I’ve been fascinated with it have seen several image presentations of its natural beauty and it is unique among exotic woods in my opinion. As far as waiting to see what Woodnut (Carl) does with the piece you sent to him, it is a hard wait. I spoke with Carl today and he told me the beauty of that wood is remarkable. There are many outstanding artist in this forum and although Carl wouldn’t say it, whatever comes of his efforts with that Olive wood, will be remarkable.

By the way, the generosity of people here is very rare as shown in your gift of the wood, this is probably, the best site of its kind on the net, again in my opinion and I'm really, learning here. Ever since Carl convinced me to put down my ax, chain saw and learn the basics, I’ve seen real progress in my efforts, but Hey, I ain’t no Carl Wallace.
  11. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

I'm anxious to see how the Olive Wood turns outs... Carl has some now.
  12. Woodnut

Steve, I haven't had a chance to work on the grips yet. It is still a little chilly here to work in the shop. Hard to work with cold hands. The Olive wood looks great, and I think you will be surprised at how great they will look.
    I cut the board into 4 pieces and will post before and after pictures when I am finished.

The KOA is going to be a great set of grips also. I am looking forward to working with it, as this is the first of this type wood for me. In the blanks, it looks so rich and deep with colors.
    Thanks for the wood.
  13. Woodnut

For those of you that have been following this thread, this might be a real treat for you.

sweetokole sent me a piece of Olive Wood that he has had several years. It was purchased in the Holy Land. The piece looked like a mini cutting board, about 4-1/2 inches wide and about 9-1/2 inches long and 3/8 thick. I cut this board into strips, then cut each piece in half in order to make the grips. His is for an Officers model and I had enough to make a set of full size for me. This was the first Olive Wood that I have used, and let me say it is beautiful, full of grain and has a rich deep tone. The pictures will never do them justice.

I am posting the before and after pictures of the blanks. I should have made a picture of the complete board, but I was so anxious to work with it I forgot to make a picture.
    Here are the shots of the blanks and grips for his Officers Model 1911.
    Enjoy, and all comments are welcome.
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

14. Woodnut

For those that want to see what my full size grips look like. Here they are. They are not as book matched as the Officers Model, but it was the best I could get with what was left over from the cutting board. The dark spot on the grip is not the defect that it appears to be. It is just a dark grain, a knot I suppose. I wish the other side was the same. It gives them real character.
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

15. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Carl,

That is some very special wood, never seen anything like it, of course, I'm a little new at all this. You did the usual beautiful work we all have come to expect. I have finished the Bubinga grips, just been busy, got a storm coming in and been preparing for it. Love those grips, Steve must be in Olive Heaven. I'll post my new grips ASAP and let folks see what I have learned following your instruction including how to drill the "Perfect Counter Holes." I sure enjoy and never underestimate the beauty of wood.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  16. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

I was able to squeeeze one picture out of my camera before the Bat died. I will send more later... Carl did an awesome job on these... the fit and finish was the finest I've ever seen on a set a grips. Thanks Carl.. you are a true master.

Attached Files:

17. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Wanted to mention that looking at these from different angles has a definite holographic effect.... try moving your head from side to side while looking at your monitor.... it crazy!!!! once again awesome... thanks again Carl.
  18. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Absolutely beautiful, I've never seen wood taken to such a level of craftsmanship and still, the wood is maintained within it's own, natural beauty. The wood is radiant and the blued hex grip screws are a perfect touch. Yes, you must be proud of these, one of a kind grips from a Master Grip Maker.

Speaking of the Master Grip Maker, I've finished a pair of Bubinga grips under the guidence of the Master, Carl Wallace. He helped me by phone and email to get these Bubinga grips on my 45.

Bubinga, also known as African Rosewood, is a beautiful, dense hardwood with a rose-colored background and darker purple striping. Color Range; Bubinga is typically very uniform in color and graining. It will undergo a medium degree of color change from pinkish rose color when freshly milled to a burgandy red color when fully aged. Bubinga has a rating of 1980 on the Janz hardwood scale.

Carl has a unique way of curving the top of the grip over the spring housing and I call it the "Carl Swirl."

We have a major winter storm moving into Tulsa as I type so, got to hurry. Steve, you're a lucky, proud guy, I love those Olive wood grips and thank you Carl for all your help in getting my grips done. I can't learn fast enough, but realize, it takes time, time, time, but its worth it..

Attached Files:

19. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Great job on your grips.... love the color... goes well with the SS finish. I finally got a couple more pics taken... hopefully those that view them will want to know what kind of holster is caressing my weapon... it's called the PHANTOM... the most comfortable deep concealment holster out there... how do I know...I make them.

Attached Files:

20. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Steve, that is not your average piece of leather, looks like it was designed and made by a Lether Engineer. I visitied your site, RavenConcealmentSystems.com, that is you, right? Also visited a Glock site where members couldn't say enough positive things about your work. It was also interesting how you and the others got started, the hard/right way, from the ground up, learning what works from actual field tesng.

I did a tour of duty with the Tulsa Police department as a Sergeant and holsters were like good food, everyone wanted some. Excellent work, I'm sending this image to some friends and that Olive wood grip looks outstanding in the "Phantom." Raven Rig. I think Carl also does leather work or did, that guy does everything. Thanks for sharing this info, i'll pass it around my network.