How to customize your 1911 grips

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Woodnut, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

2. Woodnut

Thanks, that is the way they sold. The guy loved them just the way they were.
    As always, all comments are welcome, keep'm comming.
    Carl
  3. Woodnut

Just to keep the thread updated. I am working on some more Ivory at the present, and will post them when finished. Ivory is a lot slower to work than wood, there are many things to take into consideration, such as humidity, and heat from sanding, etc.

I also have several pair of exotic wood grips I have made since the last posting. I will post some of them when I post the Ivory.

Ivarr:
    I never did hear from you. I sure hope you have not given up.
  4. ivarr

ivarr New Member

actually, i pretty much have.
    wrecked another 3 attempts with more cherry burl, and that small stuff shaping is just not something i'm adept enough at.
    i'm really just wasting valuable burl and turning it into kindling for the wood stove.
  5. Woodnut

Ivarr:

Don't give up, give me a call sometime and lets discuss the problem that you may be encountering. I'm almost sure I can lead you in the right direction, and know for a fact that it gives a great sense of satisfaction once completed. Get the first pair under your belt, then it only gets better. We all had to build our first set.
    Carl
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

SUPERGLUE!!!!:eek::eek::D:D;)

mike
    gn
  7. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Carl, these grips are absolutely, beautiful. You're also correct about looking into the wood. I can see various images (no, not a drinker) just have a spiritual sense about natural things and how to appreciate and respect and most of all, Listen to them. I'm working on a pair of 1911 grips using Red Oak hand cut with a hand saw, wow, that is a lot of work, but the grain is so beautiful. I'll be back, your work is beautiful and thanks for being so gracious.
  8. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Woodnut,

Your work is inspiring and very much appreciated. I've been working on some Red Oak grips that are about done. Its been a trip as you know, to try this type of art for the first time, but its been very rewarding. I really enjoy your detail carving technique, thanks. I can learn by looking at your worrk, but it will take a long time to be able to even come close. Its all about the enjoyment and self-reward sometimes, I think.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Fog9.jpg
      Fog9.jpg
      File size:
      98.1 KB
      Views:
  9. guns4life

guns4life New Member

Woodnut I have a bunch of black walnut here in sc that has been drying for 5 plus years if you can find a way to get it you can have it for a set of grips for my 1911 GUNS 4 LIFE
  10. hotsights

hotsights New Member

This is a prototype I'm working on for a 1911 set of Marine Corps Grips. [​IMG]
  11. Woodnut

hotsights:
    I have been out of State for the last 8 days and have just now read the thread. You are doing a fantastic job. I just wish this last picture was as big as the one in the post of the inlays. It's hard to see exactly what you are doing. But from what I can tell you are really on the right track. Remember, if you ever have a question on how I do my work, I keep no secrets and will share any information with you. There are a few jigs that I use which I made to speed up the process. Other than that the process is fairly straight forward and simple. I hope I can help with your progress.
    Keep up the good work.
  12. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Hi WoodNut,

I just visited your site and in case you have not been advised, you're good, real Good {notice the Capital "G"} I love the art work you did on that Remington & you have a beautiful 1911-A1 {I want it!}Thanks for the comment. I have 2 pc's 1 can't open the advanced version for uploads & I forget which gives you the big pic, URL or from your PC so, I'm trying for "from my pc." I saw where you do eveything by hand and that is excellent. I use a hand tooth saw, hand files & sand paper, but I also, now have a Dremel. I'm a member of the 3/4 Marine site, 500 + members and they have given me nice comments on the Marine prototype & ask, why don't I finish it? I keep getting new ideas for our Combat experiences in Nam & have to think them through. I want something about Nam for the guys on the grips, so. I plan to do the real grip using Japanese Maple. I need lots of help, don't know where to start, aren't Jigs the little dance the Irish do?

Attached Files:

• Mar1.jpg
      Mar1.jpg
      File size:
      77.5 KB
      Views:
    • Mar3.jpg
      Mar3.jpg
      File size:
      88.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  13. hotsights

hotsights New Member

WoodNut,

Thought you would like this one, never fired a round through her. MOP Grips.

Attached Files:

• .380.jpg
      .380.jpg
      File size:
      89.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  14. Woodnut

That gun is awesome, if you want Colt Medallions I have the silver and gold rampart colt medallions in stock, would be glad to ship you a pair. PM me if you are interested.

The jigs I was referring to are of 2 or 3 different types. I have one that is a metal plate that I put bushings in so I would be sure the holes would be the right distance apart. Another one is I put one bushing and a pilot hole. After the first hole is drilled then the second one is drilled through the pilot hole. Perfect fit every time. I also have a wood jig that I made to cut the top relief in the left grip on the back side. Another one that is made out of wood for the Ambi Cut. I use a router bit for my dremel to work with these wooden jigs. I can explain how I control the depth of the cut if you are interested.

I really think you are doing a fine job as is, the only thing I am trying to do is give you an easer and faster way of doing it and getting it right every time.
    I do hope some of these suggestions will be of help. You are welcome to call me any time. My number is on my site.
  15. Woodnut

Here is another set of Ivory that I just finished for the gun and knife show beginning tomorrow. I'm almost sure they will get a lot of attention.
    The other picture is of some Elk horn grips that I traded for (did not build), then I inlaid some LSU Tiger ear rings in the grips, nice conversation piece.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files: