How to determine best COL (9mm)?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by prof_fate, Feb 21, 2012.

1. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

Well, basically you need 2" or better groups...and not off a bench. Reading some of the gun tests in magazines some gun/ammo combos can barely do 8" and most reviews say 2 to 3" groups are acceptable.

The guy that runs teh PPC locally says the best here shoot 6" SW 686.
    Out of 60 shots half are shot from 25 yards and 600 is possible. Below 515 is the basically the same as zero. So 50 of your 60 shots have to hit that card-sized space - and that won't make you good, just keeps you in the game. They group you by score ranges, about 10-15 points per range (for the season and team makeup - top range is 590-600 avg for example. ). They run it similar to a bowling league- 20 weeks long, 4 lowest scores get dropped.

I shot this at my last club in a modified form - indoors so 50' was the far range and a round was only 36 shots and small bore was acceptable. I was fair with a Ruger Mk1 target model. So now the distance is 50% farther, prone and sitting are added, it's outdoors, more shots and centerfire - but the same target is used (B27)

The more accurate and consistent the tools the better the score. Yes, being a good shot helps but take a crap gun and even the best shot can't be competitive.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Dang. I need to look into getting into this competition stuff in my area. I never bothered with it because of work, just liesure shooting at my own range when i have the time for it. But 2" groups at 50 yds with my 586 is not uncommon with my handloads.
  3. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

My current club is bit into shooting and competitions - they've got 5 or 6 ranges, some lit,indoor range, youth CMP program, rifle (out to 400 yards), weekly rifle shoots, IDPA monthly, combat weekly, bullseye pistol plus trap and they recently bought a bunch of steel targets so perhaps steel challenge is next. They don't do any cowboy action (hey, were in PA no Tx) and no three gun.

Competition gives you a reason to shoot - motivation to improve and concrete way to measure your improvement - and compare yourself to others. Plus you meet people and make friends. And who knows, you might use it to justify a new gun or two or three...:p

And the ammo is the most expensive thing. All 20 weeks costs $60 - that includes the targets, awards, trophies and such. So $3/week - like I said, the ammo costs more!

I"m rusty - I last shot in the 80s and other than a mag or cyl in someone else's gun never shot any centerfire. I have till April 18 to get it together for combat, first IDPA is March 11...have to decide if I want to watch (having never seen it before) or jump in the deep end and give it a go. I'm just about immune to embarassment anymore.

Going to Mastercraft tomorrow to get some bullets. They're closer than I thought - the range is 10 minutes from my house and they're maybe 10 or 15 minutes further. Prolly gonna do some jacketed bullets...115s maybe. 147s cost more...ok, sure, call me cheap!
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

115s will do it, I find the most accurate pills for the 9 mil are 124 grainers, but if you aint shootn bullseye, the 115s will do well.
  5. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

I shot some factory 115s today and was happy. I have some 124s I can pop off tomorrow on the way to the bullet factory.

I have some 115's I can load tonite and try as well. Not exactly the same bullets but the weight is the same.

Maybe I'll take some of the 124s apart and use my powder to test them as well.

So does that make me Dr Frankenstein or Igor? LOL
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Dr frankenstien was the man barking orders and taking credit, Igor was the hunchback doing all the work and experimenting.. ;)
  7. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

that would make me Igor then...