How to determine the grade of a gun.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Nanate25, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Nanate25

Nanate25 New Member

Hi all. I'm new here and have a question. I was told the there are different grades of guns such as A through C or something. I've wondered why you can get a Rem 700 ADL at Wally-world for $300 but go to a good gun dealer and you will pay $500 minimum for a good used on. I was told that the serial number will tell you the grade of the gun. It all sounds reasonable but I would like to know the facts. Did I pay too much for a Savage Mark IIG .22 at $160? I would appreciate some help for my future purchaces of guns. They've always been given to from older relatives and now that I want to buy some, I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks guys.

Nate
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Nanate25:

I have never heard of a "grading of guns"!

Perhaps what someone was trying to tell you was that in the Remington line of bolt action Model 700's, the ADL is the econo version and the BDL is the higher grade. The next "grade" up would be from the custom shop and might not be marked any differently but just have special features and/or a better (deeper and shinnier) blue job.

In general for guns you get what you pay for. Some guns are sleepers and may shoot better than more expensive one's that have better fit and finish. Savage bolt actions are an example. Brownings and some Sako's have absolutely great fit and finish but may not be all that accurate (actually a rariety!). My opinion is that for today the best shooting, best triggered, bolt action for the least amount of money that still has high fit and very good finish is the CZ's. Take a look at one some day and note that they include a set trigger that can be set as low as 1/2 pound trigger pull and still have an unset trigger pull of a hunting safe 3 to 5 pounds.

LDBennett
  3. Nanate25

Nanate25 New Member

So you think the only reason I found a new Marlin .22 semi at one place for $99 and another place for $140 or so is maybe one has more "buying power" than the other? I realize what you are saying about the ADL and BDL. Now I remember someone mentioning that to me before. Do you think the $160 for my Savage Mark II was a bad price? It's worth it in my mind because it is fun to shoot and the people at the gun shop I bought from are always very nice and helpful. In fact, a few people has stated that they don't always have the best prices but they sure have the best customer relations. Thanks for your input.

Nate
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Is it worth it? If you want to support a dealer whom you like, probably so. For price comparison do a Google search on the model number and the words "price of" or something like that.

Box stores often have really good prices on guns from Savage and other manufacturers that deal directly with them, not through a distributor. Gun stores are usually forced to deal through distributor that take their cut. They also have an overhead of a building and employees that are dedicated to guns, not kids toys and helping people at the gun counter on the side. Walmart in CA took it all so lightly that they lost their gun license. Kmart gave it up because it was such a bother. The last pistol I bought took about 30 minutes to handle all the paperwork and they were efficient. The handgun before that took about an hour as the one man shop owner was new to selling guns.

I buy guns where they have the model I am interested in. If multiple stores have the same gun I shop around. My home is so remote that the nearest real gun store is 35 miles away. I buy all my shooting supplies via the Internet. I have in the past supported a local dealer just to keep him in business but that was before I moved to such a remote place (actually nearly 200,000 people in the tri-cities but only a couple of gun shops, one a jerk that screwed me and the other has nothing).

So support your local dealer and hopefully he will help you some day!

LDBennett
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Could not find a 'G' definition, but here are two Savage MKII rifles I found. Maybe these are like the one you bought.

Savage MKII

Second one

Let me know. You also did not say whether you bought new or used so there is one of each!
  6. Nanate25

Nanate25 New Member

inplanotx:
    The G is just a code from Savage that tells what options it has. The G just stand for hardwood stock. See here, http://www.savagearms.com/code.htm

LDBennett:
    I like the guys i bought my gun from because the are very nice and will help you something you didn't even get from them, cause they know that's what it takes to make a friend that will shop with you. I'll support em. But like you say, somethings can be bought for better price that you don't even need to bother them with like accessories. Thanks for y'alls input. I found a trigger shim mod that lightens up the 10lb trigger on this little .22. Well guy, I think I'll be out for the rest of the week so y'all have a gooden.

Nate.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, since you still did not say new or used, I will assume new. Since GA is asking $190, sounds like your dealer gave you $30 off.
  8. Nanate25

Nanate25 New Member

inplanotx

Sorry about that. I was new.