how to disasemble a s&w 5906

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gunlearner, Dec 17, 2007.

1. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

hey guys help me out my boss just gave me his pistol to clean however i have never taken apart a s&W i assume is just like the browning type so help me if you can

vr

gl
  2. What model is it, learner? I probably have field stripping instructions for most of them.
  3. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

i believe is the 5906 but is a clasic metal frame it belong to my bossĀ“ father and he wants me to fieldstrip it to clean it
    am not sure if the steps are like the browning or are more complicated like the ruger

thanks

gl
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  4. Field stripping these pistols is relatively easy, learner. For the 5906:

1. With the magazine removed and the hammer cocked, retract the slide until the pivot base of the slide-latch is aligned with the latch notch in the lower edge of the slide. Push on the right tip of the slide latch cross-shaft to start it out toward the left, and remove the slide latch.

2. Move the slide and barrel assembly forward off the frame. The hammer will fall to the fired position as the slide is removed.

3. Grasp the recoil spring guide firmly to control the strong spring, and disengage the guide from its step on the barrel underlug. Remove the guide and spring rearward.

4. Remove the barrel from the underside of the slide. The pistol is now field stripped. :D Assembly is simply the reverse of disassembly.