How to disassemble a Savage Stevens 987

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by myerskr2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. myerskr2

myerskr2 New Member

I have a Savage Stevens 987 semi auto 22 long riffle and would like to get break down instructions and parts information if anyone has it or knows where I can find it.
  2. judgecrater

judgecrater New Member

3. LoggerLee

LoggerLee New Member

Hey guys,I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong the other night,and found your questions and judgecrater's link.
    I'd cleaned and repaired two similar rifles and could not figure out what I was doing wrong.
    Turns out the front side of that rod with the spring on it had been peened into the rear of the bolt,making it seem like it was impossible to disassemble.
    Finally figured out what had to have happened after about 2 hours of fighting with it and trying not to break anything.

As gently as possible (though it takes some force) I pulled on the rod and it finally came out. I had to use a pair of pliers and some rags (so as not to scratch the heck out of the back of the reciever,I took the springs off of the rod,they are kind of difficult to get back on,but not impossible,but I didn't want to bend up the keeper on the end.