how to disassemble and clean springfield model 67 series e 12ga. by savage arms

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dominator, Oct 28, 2009.

1. dominator

dominator New Member

any help would be appreciated in disassembly and cleaning of a savage arms serial # b671393 12ga.3" chambered springfield model 67 series e.thanks beforehand for any comments
  2. jondar

jondar New Member

Hello. Welcome to the manicomio. I'm working from memory on this, always a bad idea, but here is what I remember. The barrell on these are not removable, and if you wish to clean it from the breech end (always the preferred way) you will have to drop the trigger assembly, remove the buttstock and clean it thru the action. Complete disassembly of this model is not for the faint of heart. I will try to attach an exploded view and you can see what you face. Good luck and hope this helps a little.

Attached Files:

3. dominator

dominator New Member

roger thanks for reply JONDAR i ran across the same image but was wanting more of a remove item 14 than take 34 from side and turn 90 degree sort of instructional move by move but again i do thank you for your reply
  4. jonboy

jonboy New Member

I have a springfield Model 67 and the action is not locking when you chamber another shell and if you jiggle the pump it will open the action. It is also not striking the primer hard enough to fire the shell and I believe it is directly being caused by the action not closing correctly. I have the schematics but would like more helpful info if it is available.
  5. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Parts number 31 and 33 govern the bolt locking. When the bolt closes, the bolt lock raises up to the rear of the bolt locking it in place. When the gun fires, the hammer comes forward and the small stem on the side of the hammer catches part number 31 (spring) and pulls the bolt lock down to release the bolt for the next "pump" loading. The "nose" of the bolt lock most times wears or deforms due to repeated battering and has to be reshaped, tig welded and refit or replaced. While replacment would seem the easiest to do, most times it isn't. The hook spring on the bottom of the bolt lock has to be in the proper position for the hammer to catch it in it's forward travel. Going to a new bolt lock will require you to guess repeatedly at the proper amount of "bend" it has, and exactly where. A good idea would be to make a tracing of the bolt lock on paper of the lock and spring unit to refit the new parts. If you MUST replace the parts remember that while the system might work well while you have the trigger group in your hands and the hammer catches the spring to release the bolt lock, when you install it in the rec the lock will not come up as high as when it was in your hand therefore putting the hook spring in a different place when the hammer falls. This caused me considerable consternation when working on these guns untill I figured out the error. When disassem for cleaning, it is best to remove the butt stock and the small thru pin is easier to drive out from one side more than the other (I don't remember which at the moment). For cleaning I would soak, brush out, blow clean and oil rather than dissem the entire trigger group unless you have more than average experience with guns. When the bolt does not come forward enough to fire, check the chamber area, bolt face, extractor slots for anything that could retrd forward travel. Also see if you can make another turn on the forend cap (aafter cking to see that your pin is not worn or broke). Good luck.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  6. cyknight

cyknight New Member

I just sold one of those right after Christmas, and have worked on several. It sounds like the slide lock isn't engaging the bolt carrier. Most 67E's are notorious for having too much engagement, thus actuating the pump mechanism is not as smooth as others, taking more effort. You should pull the trigger group (if you feel comfortable) and check to see if the spring for the slide lock is either pushed off to one side, or broken. It's almost certainly one or the other. Hope this helps!
  7. jonboy

jonboy New Member

Man you guys are awesome! Most people I've approached have made some smart comment about taking it to a gunsmith and me not being one. I am a journeyman millwright and we have a machine shop in our garage, it is nice to not be insulted for a change. This will really help, Thank you very much.
  8. cyknight

cyknight New Member

Heck, I will not only NOT be sarcastic toward you, but I'll bow to you! I'd LOVE to have a machine shop in my garage, it would be so much better than that lonely drill press I have in mine! :) Good luck on the 67!
  9. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

If the engagement spring (small thin sp on the bolt lock) is broken or out of alignment, the bolt lock will not engage holding it forward. If the retracting spring (with the hook) is broke or not being caught by the forward travel of the hammer, you could not get the bolt to disengage or move to the rear without taking out the trigger group.