How... to... get over... the... FLINCH!!!!!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ponycar17, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Guys, this is almost embarrassing to say, but I've developed a NASTY flinch when shooting the .44 Tracker with even mild 180 Gr. soft points. About 90% of the shots are where I need them to be at about 40 yds., but that 10% where I flinch like a school girl is driving me nuts... :eek:

Have you had the same problem? What's some good practice to get over this, just lots and lots and lots of rounds down range? :eek:
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

spend a day shooting .22 pistol
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I shoot .22 a LOT in the front yard, but that .44 Mag. has me under its thumb... I just sense the boom that's about to happen. It's not like the recoil hurts or anything, it's just harsh... The barrel is 6.5" and it's compensated, but it still drives me crazy squeezing the trigger... Maybe I'll try shooting the .22 and .44 alternatively to mix it up a bit?...
  4. Jay

Jay New Member

try shooting everything you shoot with your eyes closed. With closed eyes, 80% of your mental stimulus is gone. It will allow you to really concentrate on your trigger finger, thus reducing the tendency to flinch. Sounds funny, but try it. :)
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

When I go to the range I take a 22 pistol and one of my several bigger guns. I shoot the 22 first to my hearts content, then I shoot the bigger calibers. I don't shoot full load 44 Mags anymore because they hurt. I download them to 44 Special levels and plink away. I do shoot 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 45LC as full loads. But I no longer shoot 10mm as full loads because it is only fun for a magazine or two then its work.

I have a friend who use to win silhouette matches in 22LR and air guns all the time in local events. He is what I call a natural shooter. While he practices all the correct shooting methods he was very good before he did that...a natural. He picked up a Colt 45ACP pistol from a friend for the right price for the right gun but had to sell it. He was the a "natural" flincher with that hard recoiling big caliber handgun. He had to sell it. You can try to overcome the flinches but you may not be successful. One method is lots of dry firing or lots of practice with a 22. Concentrate on seeing the target at the very moment the gun goes off and remembering the sight picture. That may take your mind off flinching.

LDBennett
  6. Primus

Primus New Member

I had the same problem. If you have an auto to shoot, have someone else load your mags so you don't know how many rounds are in each one. It helped me with the anticipation.
  7. cec

cec New Member

Another option is similar to the auto method mentioned by Primus.

Load the gun with combination of "empty" shells/snapcaps and live rounds.

If you trust someone to load it for you that will add the random element. If not, load, spin the chamber, and fire.

The one flinch issue I have is when I think too much about the shot. If I aim/fire, aim/fire I am usually ok. It is when I over think the shot it goes aim..........aim.............aim...fire/flinch.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'm with ya on that problem... I've found that if I take too long to make the shot, it's best the drop the gun off target, breathe and then get back on target...

I'll try some of these suggestions. Thanks! Keep 'em coming!
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Just tell me to move out of the way! :D
  10. Texman

Texman New Member

Many Many years ago I bought a S&W detective special 38,, small super light weight pocket gun with "hidden " hammer,, loved the gun,, but had a flinch problem.. while mine may not have been the same as yours,, I found a trick from a friend of mine that helped a bunch..

this only works on revolvers. ;) after you break in your pistol.. prop a dime from the top of the barrel leaning against the front site.. practice squeezing the trigger till you can dry fire it and not knock the dime off..

then have a buddy load it with you not knowing how many live rounds you have.. Put the dime back on and take aim and fire it..

It worked well for me anyway..

practice practice,, hope you get it worked out, no matter what method works for you.
  11. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I do most of my shooting alone so.... when revolver shooting and I find myself starting to flinch, I'll back off and load only one round, spin the cylinder and close it without looking. It makes me calm down right quick once I see just how badly the barrel moves when I squeeze the trigger.

Anticipation can be a culprit in producing bad shots and the above exercise allows me to concentrate on my sight picture and trigger control while learning to ignore the anticipation of recoil.
  12. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! :D
  13. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Detach the processes and operations in your mind into separate items. After you get "hold the gun steady" and "bring the target to your sights" focus on "squeeze the trigger" and think of nothing other than the feeling of squeezing the trigger. Don't think about what's going to happen afterwards, only focus on squeeze.

It's like stopping at a stop sign. You're required to come to a complete and dead stop at the sign or line; in order to do that you do not have to see or think about oncoming traffic. Whether or not there is any traffic coming is totally irrelevant to stopping. After you have completed that step, then cautiously advance into the intersection in order to acquire the right of way over people who are not within the definition of "approaching traffic" and yield the right of way to people who are. Moving into the intersection has nothing to do with stopping.

Squeezing the trigger has nothing to do with "bang" - that's what happens after. Don't think about that part, it doesn't require any action on your part - just focus on squeezing the trigger.
  14. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'm an electrical engineer, primarily dealing in control/logic circuits... Separating the cause and effect will be VERY hard for me, but what you say is VERY logical... It's worth some thought... :)

Keep the ideas coming...
  15. Texman

Texman New Member

I am just assuming we all use the BRASS right? in target shooting..

Breath, Relax, Aim, Squeeze.?

Of course that only applies in target shooting or deer killing. :rolleyes: