How to get started ?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by thomas44, Jan 27, 2009.

1. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I love going to the range and just shooting informally, but am considering getting started in pistol competition, maybe IPSC or IDPA. What's the difference between the two, and how do you get started ? What kind of firearms are recommended ? What style of shooting is involved in the SASS ?Slow fire, or what ? I don't think I want to get all cowboy'd up, but I love my single action revolvers !
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

3. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Thanks for the info. I've been watching some vid's on youtube and the comp shooting looks like fun. I'm sure I would be really slow and really awful at first, but that's okay.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Accuracy is key. Speed will come later. Make the competition fun for YOU and don't worry about winning or losing. Practice every chance you get to develope your technique and concentration. You should improve every match.
  5. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Thank you Shooter
  6. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

i have shot in several, and one thing rings true every time. 99% of the competition will not ostracize, degrade or talk down to you. they will coach and help you. get basic gear within the rules and jump in to get your feet wet. you will not be disappointed.
  7. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Check out www.sassnet.com. It's the SASS website. Basically, you need a pair of single-action revolvers. Cimmaron makes a nice beginner gun. I shoot New Model Blackhawks, myself. You'll also need a lever-action rifle in pistol caliber, and a shotgun, pre-1900 (Coach, double-barrel, or pump). Clothing, just leather-soled boots (no treads), jeans, shirt and hat (no ball cap). Check out the pawn shops. There's some good groups up in the Ohio area.

Also on the Outdoor Channel, check out "Cowboys" on Wednesdays. It's about CAS.
  8. hvacwizard24

hvacwizard24 New Member

When I first started shooting IDPA i was nervous untill i realize that a lot of people that shoot IDPA are newbies to, or at least at one time :) Instead of teasing me they taught me valuable fundamentals and techniques that would have cost me a mint from a private instructor!!!