How to I get a full auto?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by g2gunny, Sep 18, 2012.

  1. g2gunny

    g2gunny New Member

    Sep 17, 2012
    Is it possible to get a full auto preban gun. I have heard you need a class III license, but how do I get that?

    Also how much does one cost?
  2. Shooter45

    Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

    Feb 9, 2001
    Here at TFF

  3. CampingJosh

    CampingJosh Well-Known Member

    Sep 25, 2007
    The link Shooter provided is all the info you need.

    To own a full auto gun, US citizens just need money, time, and a clean background.
  4. Maine04657

    Maine04657 New Member

    Sep 13, 2012

    Easy. Find a class 2 or 3 SOT in your area go see him pick one out pay and get your paperwork done send that and a 200 dollar check to the ATF and wait wait wait a little more then in 5 or 6 months your stamp comes in and you own a mg.

    Personal recommendations from me. If you have kids family or spouse you want to be able to use the NFA item without you being there or you want to make leaving it to them easy get a NFA trust. This also removes the requirement for fingerprint cards pictures and Local LE sign off.

    Now with a MG you can only buy a PRE 1986 ( no such thing as pre ban mg ) so this means availability is low and cost is high. You can get a new mac for 4 grand aprox then you move up to say a m16 for about 15 grand and up and up.

    For fun factor I recommend unless your doing it for collector reasons get a m16, mac or H&K as these allow you to go with different calibers a m16 you can out any upper you want on it form 22lr to wildcats all pistol calibers and such. Mac you can use 45 9mm and 22lr with a H&K you can switch the trigger pack between guns so you can have a 5.56, .308 and a 9mm. The H&K are not cheap a auto sear alone will run you over 10 gran

    I have been a NFA ( national Firearms Act ) collector for a long time and have gone through the process may times.
  5. medalguy

    medalguy Member

    Feb 20, 2009
    New Mexico
    Don't forget, you need ammo too. Lots of ammo. And something to wipe the big big grin off your face.
  6. Alpo

    Alpo Well-Known Member

    Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    And live in one of the 37 states that allows them. Mustn't forget that.
  7. Brass Tacks

    Brass Tacks New Member

    Jan 9, 2012
    NW Arkansas
    There is another alternative. From the OP's name it is possible he has already availed.

    There are several well known American organizations that offer, after signing on the line, shelter, meals, travel, free health care, clothing, automatic weapons, and all the ammo you can shoot, free of charge. In fact they will pay a salary to boot.
  8. CampingJosh

    CampingJosh Well-Known Member

    Sep 25, 2007
    Oh course! How did I forget?

    My home state doesn't allow SBS, but AOW is just fine. So a pistol-grip 12 gauge with 12 inch barrels is just fine unless it ever had a stock put on it.

    Still, three years later, trying to find a 12 or 20 gauge SXS that has never had a stock.
    I've pretty well decided that I'm going to have better luck working through the state legislature than I am getting one of the importers to help me.
  9. Maine04657

    Maine04657 New Member

    Sep 13, 2012

    I buy 5.56 by the case 1000 rounds can go pretty fast. I use the 22 upper on my m16 allot and that is much cheaper. 1000 rounds of 5.56 about 400 bucks 100 rounds of 22lr 40 bucks.

    Here is a vid of me dumping 50 rounds of 22lr in the back yard. Time it then see how long it woudl take to fire off 1000 rounds. The rifle does have a suppressor on it so it runs faster. Cyclic rate goes up when you use a suppressor due to back pressure.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  10. nmckenzie

    nmckenzie Well-Known Member

    Aug 15, 2011
    Sitka, Alaska
    Used to work for a Class 3, but that was an awful long time ago, so please forgive my ignorance. What's an NFA Trust?
  11. howlnmad

    howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

    Nov 26, 2008
    Harriman, Tn
    Well your you-tube vid ran for all of 6 seconds. You can burn up a lot of 22 ammo at that rate. :D
  12. Alpo

    Alpo Well-Known Member

    Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    As I understand it, a trust was a way to get around the CLEO sign-off, because there are (hard as this might be to believe) SOME COPS out there that don't believe that law-abiding citizens should own machineguns.

    So you set up a trust, and the Trust owns the machinegun. With a Trust there is no CLEO signature, there are no pictures or fingerprints.

    And there seems to be some added advantages.

    If you own a machinegun, and want to let your buddy Frank go shoot it, you gotta go with him. If you just hand it to him, saying, "Here. Go play. Bring it back when you're done", you've made an illegal transfer of an NFA item. But if Frank is listed on the Trust documents, it's just as much his as it is yours, and he can go play with it whether you are there are not.

    When you croak, the guns get held up while the court plays with your will, before it/they can be transferred to your beneficiary. If your kid is part of the trust, the gun(s) can go straight to him. I'm not sure if new paperwork has to be made, taking your name off the Trust, since you are now dead, but the kid has the gun(s) without going through probate. And since it did not go through probate, there is no official court record, somewhere, saying that young Tommy Jones now owns three machineguns. Yes, they know that at the ATF, but they don't know it at the local courthouse, where any bored clerk thumbing through the files could find it.

    As I say, that's the way I UNDERSTAND it to work (I could be completely wrong). None of my stuff was done with a Trust. Both sheriffs I've had dealings with have not had any problems with signing off.
  13. CampingJosh

    CampingJosh Well-Known Member

    Sep 25, 2007
    Alpo is right. My NFA stuff is owned by a trust, of which my wife and I are both trustees. If we wanted to add someone else to the trust, we can do that very quickly and easily.

    There aren't fingerprints, because a trust doesn't have fingers. It's a legal entity of its own, like a corporation. But you don't really have to do anything to keep a trust in effect perpetually, whereas with a corporation has to file taxes annually.
  14. Maine04657

    Maine04657 New Member

    Sep 13, 2012
    Not quite right.

    The trust does own the items ( if bought under the trusts name ) and it does negate the Cleo sign off the fingerprint cards and photo. This is ONE reason for a trust. NFA items can be passed to IMMEDIATE family ONLY without re-stamping so if you have step children grandchildren and such the trust makes it easy to leave it tot them.

    Only the CO-TRUSTEES can have the items and it is nto just machine guns but any NFA item in the trust SBS SBR AOW suppressor or MG. The beneficiaries listed ARE NOT owners and can not have the items with one of the trustees being there.

    If the children or whoever the beneficiary is as long as there are no more trustees left has to file form 4's for ALL the items they are keeping from the trust but does NOT have to buy a new stamp.

    The local court has no standing when it comes to a NFA or other trust unless it is contested but as most truest are done long before death the chance of contesting one are nill. There is NO legal requirement to tell ANY local LE or court that a person has NFA items in a trust UNLESS it is a local law and there are only a few states that require registering NFA.

    My grandson is 4 and he is a CO-trustee on my/ our trust as well as many other family members.

    If you want or think you need a trust then any good SOT will be able to help you. You can do a Quicken trust for under 100 bucks or go all out for a lawyer to draw one up for 500 to well over a grand. Make sure the lawyer knows what NFA is and make sure he has done them before. Most all big lawyers will say you should do a trust with them and not a Quicken one or other low budget ones because theirs are able to stand up. If the trust is no
    then the ATF will DENY it! If they accept it then it is FINE...
  15. Maine04657

    Maine04657 New Member

    Sep 13, 2012
    A NFA trust does not go on in perpetuity. ONLY the co OWNERS IE trustees at the time the trust is FORMED are owners you can NOT ADD TRUSTEES you can add beneficiaries though. When the ORIGINAL trustees die the trust is done. You can not pass the trust on to your kids or anyone else the trust is only in effect as long as there is one ORIGINAL trustee left.

    Also when the NFA items are left to a beneficiary they are transferred on a form 4 no new stamp required ( IE no charge ) however if they make a trust then they have to pay the tax for a new stamp on each item that was in the trust.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
Similar Threads
Forum Title Date
NFA Firearms & Related Items Full auto trigger groups for ak-47 for sale online, all atf rules apply? Feb 23, 2015
NFA Firearms & Related Items Full auto becomes legal Jun 10, 2014
NFA Firearms & Related Items Full auto Saiga 12Ga Jul 19, 2013
NFA Firearms & Related Items Question Regarding Fully Automatic Firearms May 3, 2012
NFA Firearms & Related Items Belt fed .22lr upper....full auto. Feb 28, 2012