How to Lube your AR for Success.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cpttango30, Jul 30, 2011.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The AR is an easy platform to take care of but, for a person that is new to the AR platform it can look like a lot to take care of.

Here we are going to go over how to lube your ar so you get the best lube possiable and get it all in the right spots.

I use a combo of Grease and Oil. I have and love Wilson Combat Moly Lube for my grease and Mobil 1 0w-40 fully synthetic motor oil. It goes on easy and stay put.

First area we are going to talk about is the bolt. I put a drop of oil on the Gas rings and use my finger to work it in and then work it on to the back of the bolt. You can see where in the picture below.
    [​IMG]

Next we will go over the bolt carrier. the bolt carrier has 5 spots I lube with a touch of grease. You will be able to see them on your because they will shot some wear from the bolt cycling. I have pointed them out in the picture below. I use grease here because this is a high friction area that needs all the lube it can get as it is a STEEL bolt carrier riding on and in an aluminum upper.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is the charging handle. This is an area that many people just forget about as it is only used to rack the bolt and charge the weapon. I add one spot of grease on the top of each side at the retaining bumps. I then add a small drop of oil in the retaining latch to help it operate smoothly. Then I add a small spot of grease to the upper where the latch seats on the house side of the upper. This is just to help ease wear and tear on the upper for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but not least Your lower receiver. Here is don't use any grease as there is just that the high amount of friction that I think it needs it. Here I lube all points with a drop or two of Mobil 1 then I cycle the hammer by hand along with the safety. I do this to help work the oil into the small nooks and crannies in the lower.
    [​IMG]

I don't prescribe to the old DI trick of spraying it with CLP till it runs out the top of the lower. I think this method will allow you to have a very functional AR with out all the goop and grit from over oiling. It also doesn't spit in your face or drip on your new super cool blue camo tactical pants and your glock in your drop holster.

Hope this little how to helps keep your AR in tip top shape and it should make it a tad easier to clean.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I just use SBGO. It stays where you put it and cleanup after fireing is a breeze.
  3. Juker

Juker New Member

Pics? What pics? Can anyone else see the pics in this post? :D
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Juker did that fix the pics?
  5. Juker

Juker New Member

Sure did! :D
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good info and good thread as I'm a ne owner of an AR-15. Ive put a several hundred
    rounds down range so far and all I have used is SBGO...like Sam said, it stays where you put it and clean up is all good. I havent had any problems so far.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Hey dont forget the recoil tube , many do and it wears the heck outta it with just a few bits of grit or sand , east timor and the solomons was a real wake up as the coral just ate the tubes

and i can highly recommend SBGO , as can the Australian Special Forces Command HQ

but i will state that SBGO is a sponsor for the international SF shoot here next year ..

SF team shooters from 6 nations ( so far, maybe more to enrole) will be going through 9 seperate courses as well as static shoots from 200 meters to 2000 meters

seen our new auto targets ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNoJrIOREeo USMC and delta have bought em too now
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

seen our new auto targets ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNoJrIOREeo USMC and delta have bought em too now

Too cool for words. Maybe I can talk our gun club into buying one or two - yeah right - those things must cost a bundle. Very, Very good training aid.
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

I would add to this that in the first photo, just to the right of the gas rings, is the bolt tail. For new AR15 owners, you'll become familiar with this area very quickly after you've fired your weapon. Treat it well with SBGO and it will vastly reduce the carbon buildup on the flared section of the bolt.