How to make a Loop Holster

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by JTWY, Jul 29, 2010.

1. JTWY

JTWY New Member

Howdy again guys,
    For those of you interested in making a Mexican Style Loop Holster I figured I'd post the step by step pictures I took when I made them for my wife and I's Ruger Super Single Six's.

Cutting out the leather for the holster.

[​IMG]

Leather is all cut out and laying on my stitching horse ready to be sewn.

[​IMG]

Leather in the jaws of the stitching horse and partly sewn.

[​IMG]

Sewing is done. All I have left to do is cut some leather lace and finish assembing it.

[​IMG]

Holster ready for final trimming.

[​IMG]

Finished Holsters

[​IMG]

JT
  2. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

That was interesting, thanks.
  3. JTWY

JTWY New Member

Your welcome.

JT
  4. lentz

lentz Former Guest

Simply Awsome!!
  5. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Pretty good pattern and work. One thing though. Your leg tie down isn't historically correct and it actually will slow down your draw and make it harder to draw your pistol.

Here's why. With the holster on a belt and not tied down (Hollywood and Louis L'amour were wrong), when you start to draw your revolver, the holster will slide up a bit in the straps as you draw your revolver. The revolver will continue out of the holster and the holster will slide back into position.

With it tied down, as you draw your revolver, the holster will stop moving up with the revolver and will bind and restrict the movement of your revolver, thus actually slowing your draw.

This is the same for any double, single or triple loop holster that isn't secured to the back flap with a screw or such.

Try it and see.
  6. JTWY

JTWY New Member

Well lucky for me I'm not living in the wild wild west and I'm not gonna get in any life threating fast draw shootouts with bandits. ( I only use the holster to carry my 22 when rabbit hunting ) I put my leg straps in the same place as commercial holster companies do, like this one at Cabela's http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0018677222750a.shtml I also punch the holes for the lace a lot smaller than the lace, it's very hard to pull the lace through ( I have to use pliers ) but they stay in place after.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cool Beans man. I wouldnt mind having a cardboard template of the pattern. I have always wanted to try my hand at leatherwork. :)
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's very interesting JTWY and some very nice work!
    I had a friend a long time ago that made me a Buck knife sheath and it did serve it's purpose, but you got quaility going on there...very nice!
  9. wpage

wpage Active Member

Very neat! Please post more projects...
    Thanks
  10. JTWY

JTWY New Member

A while back my friend Dave's wife Christl was telling me that Dave ( who is also a doctor in town ) found a knife when he was a kid and he's kept it all these years. She said he loves that knife and takes with with him all the time when he goes fishing but didn't have anything to carry the knife in. So I had her sneak Dave's knife out of the house and I made him a sheath for it so she could give it to him as part of her anniversary gift to him. Here is the knife and sheath I made for him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

12. JTWY

JTWY New Member

Thanks,
    And thank you for your service to America.

JT
  13. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

JTWY, Nice work and you got class man!
  14. JTWY

JTWY New Member

Thanks,
    I noticed you live in Montana. I was in Billings, MT 2 weekends ago at Cabela's. We drove up to Billings to have the windshield in our truck replaced at Safe Lite and then hit Cabela's and Sears.:)

JT