How to make bullets harder?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Feb 16, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

How much solder are you supposed to add to the pot to increase the hardness?

Does dropping bullets from the mold into cool water really make a difference?

I have a pot and a mold and started to cast some 158 grn semi wadcutters from wheel weights. It was excellent in no time at all I had perfect bullets by the 3 cast from my mold. The pot is a bottom pour Lee. I wanted to start off not to expensive as money is kind of tight right now. I fluxed with paraffin wax, yes there was smoke but that was o.k.. I skimmed the clips off along with a little dirt that came up too. Now I was wondering about the layer of colored metal on top do I skim it off or leave it. I only cast about 60 or so bullets and stopped. I just wanted to get my feet wet and then ask you guys what to do next.

O.k. Plano Let me have it!!!!
  2. frosty

frosty New Member

I have not been able to find any bar solder to add to the mix. I know Inplanotx advised me to get some. I just have not found any yet and I have been hunting for it. I have read that I could add lead free solder (the stuff they have at wally world), but I have not tried it as of yet.

Yes, I am hooked on casting I want to learn more now that I see the potential. Oh, yes I also have a 6 cavity mold from Lee but I have not tried it yet.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Frosty wrote:

To get rid of the smoke, light it with a match. Smoke all gone!

Look for a plumbing supply house. They have the 50/50 bar solder. It is mainly used by plumbers to seal pipes.

Too costly!

I use one one pound bar to 10 pounds of wheel weights.

Not really.

This is when you should be fluxing in order to mix the metals back together again. What you are seeing is the tin floating on the lead! After you flux and mix the metal, then skim, not before!

BUY THE DAMN BOOK!!!!! Just by the questions I can tell you still have not bought the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook now have you?
    Fess up, Frosty!!!! Even gave you the URL to find it!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

There is yet one more way to harden cast bullets, but I won;t tell you until I see a scan of the cover of the book! :cool: :cool: :cool:
  4. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

I'm interested in casting bullets also what was the link to that book so i can start to get a clue also any links or info as to what kinda pot i should get would be most helpfull
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

JR,
    Here is a URL I found using the google search at the bottom of the page. Just type in Lyman Cast Bullet handbook in double quotes and you will find a bunch.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

For pots and other information, look through this section as we have already discussed this information and all the info you need on pots, moulds, lube and other tricks is all here for the finding. These were recent posts so you won't have to look far!
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Frosty.......if you're getting good bullets from straight wheelweights, you don't need solder. Solder won't make them any harder.....it only increases the temperature range over which the lead will cast well.

Wheelweights are plenty hard enough.
  7. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I buy my bullets from a guy that uses a 90% lead, 6% tin and 4% antimony mixture. I have pushed the .44 cal bullets to at least 1,500 FPS, and I have never had a problem with lead fouling.
  8. frosty

frosty New Member

I'm fessing up,
    I do not have the book yet Plano. I just wanted to try it a little. I have ordered the book it should be here on Friday.
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

See, I knew if I rattled ya a little you'd get the book. Glad to see ya hanging in there Frosty. Now, I can teach you how to heat treat the bullets so that you can get the Brinell hardness level up. Really not needed, but I have seen one batch I made hit a Russian Boar in the head and came out somewhere near his flank, but was never found. There was no doubt that that was one hard bullet!

Xracer wrote:
    X, I have to argue with ya on that one. With bar solder, it is 50% lead and 50% tin which will harden the bullet on a brinell scale!
  10. ACC

ACC New Member

11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

C&R, the URL did not work for me.
  12. frosty

frosty New Member

Plano will the bar solder actually be in a bar shape or in a spool? I have only seen the stuff on a spool in 1lb and in 1/2 spools the content is 95% tin and 5% antimony.
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The kind I've seen is called plumbers bar solder and is in the form of a one pound bar. Elongated and flat! Hope this helps, Frosty. It is not that important, just use the wheel weights and you should be fine. Keep in touch! Happy casting!
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  14. ACC

ACC New Member

15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

C&R, very interesting site. I'm thinking Linotype now! Thanks.