How to make sinfully delicious brisket

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by JLA, Oct 12, 2010.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

This is a thread in conjuction with the brisket thread I made the other night, I wanna cook a brisket for all my friends on thisforum but since were sorta global, I figured id teach yall how I cook em so the ones with barrel smokers similar to mine can have a Texas redneck style brisket.

All you need is a smoker, I prefer my barrel smoker, but an electric or charcoal smoker would work fine.

A brisket 10-15 pounds untrimmed. Get a nice cut and make sure its flexible... This is important if you want it tender.

Your favorite rub... I use fiesta brand gourmet steak seasoning mixed 1 to 1 with fiesta brand brisket rub.

A jug of your favorite fruit juice, I prefer apple juice, but I have made them with grape juice and orange juice as well.

A bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. I like Bullseye original or KC masterpiece original, Pour the sauce in a pan and heat it up and cut it 2 to 1 (2 parts sauce to 1 part juice) with your fruit juice.

Now lets prepare the brisket...
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

open the brisket and leave it in the sink for a couple hours to drain.

Attached Files:

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Once drained, remove it and lay it out on a piece of foil fat side up. This is the only side I do anything to, leave the lean side alone.

Attached Files:

4. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Pure torture....:D
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

now you want to take a very sharp knife and score the fat layer to the meat, do it just like a holiday ham. this helps the fat melt into the meat while smoking and leaves you with less to cut off when its all done.

Attached Files:

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Once you have it scored apply a very liberal amount of your rub to the brisket and rub it into all the scores. Dont be afraid to beat the crap out of it too if you feel like punching something;)

You doint have to do this, but i like to, I take a flavor injector and poke apple juice right into the brisket, It makes it kinda sweet, which works really well with the smoke:D

Attached Files:

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Now its ready to be crammed in a giant freezer bag to let marinade for about an hour or two, It doesnt hurt to do it overnight in the fridge either...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nows a good time to make some fire while the meat marinades... I like fire:D

Attached Files:

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

once the fires made and the barrel is hot, It usually takes about an hour to preheat a smoker this big, simply lay your brisket on the smoker as far from the fire as possible so it dont dry out. Dont worry itll cook because the heat has to get down to the brisket end to escape the smoke stack.

Attached Files:

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The trick to cookin like this is temperature maintenance. Make a big fire and keep it choked so the temp is around 225 and keep it there for 18 hours. This requires hourly fire pokins and log additions. This is what I like to call a cheater guage. I find the best brisket comes from an 18 hour stretch where the red meets the blue.

Attached Files:

11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like to smoke the meat bare for 4-5 hours and then wrap it up with foil, alot of foil, 3 or 4 layers. then back on the smoker for another 12 hours. At this point you can also, if yo like, kill the smoker and finish the brisket in the oven. This is something I do sometimes when i wanna sleep all night without having to get up and tend the fire through the night. But finishing on the smoker is best, the brisket always seems to taste just a little better;)
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

This thread isnt finished, I just put the brisket on 49 minutes ago, and ill have foiling pics around noonish:)
  13. TomsXL#3

TomsXL#3 New Member

Think I just shorted out my keyboard, from drooling all over it :p
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Josh, maybe you just do it different in TX but something very important seems to be missing. When I was in Louisiana and the brisket was being prepared there was always a properly filled beer cooler near by where we regularly sampled it's contents during the cooking. It seemed to help make much better brisket.
  15. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

I haven't seen anywhere on here where you give your address. We can't be there when it's done if we don't know where to go.:D:D:D:D
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The beers in the fridge todd, I never forget the brew;)

Just finished foiling. I took the brisket out with my 'brisket gloves' on. and wrapped it 3 times all the way around. I heavy layer of foil is important, it keeps the meat evenly heated and the fats and juices in so it is tender when you get ready to eat it.

A little about the briskt gloves... If anyone has ever handled a 10 pound hunk of beef thats 225 degrees with tongs, you know why I like to use my hands, and what better way to handle meat. I use a pair of welding gloves I bought new at tractor supply, I only use them for handling meat off the smoker and I store them in my 'smokin toolbox' in a gallon size freezer bag. These gloves smell good enough to eat themselves...

Back to the brisket, if youll notice the brisket is now wrapped heavily with foil and tucked all the way up to the stack hole in the barrel. its a good 5 feet from the heat source in this rig, which is good because I dont like burnt meat.

Attached Files:

17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Now all we have is time. roughly 11 hours from now this brisket will be done. Ill pull it off at midnight tonight and wrap it in a towell and leave it on the counter all night to stand. In the morning when I get up ill be having brisket sammages for breakfast...

Lets address the sauce. As I stated above, I like to cut my favorite commercial brand sauces with applejuice. It makes a wonderful sauce everyone will enjoy. its sweet and tangy and even my kiddos love it. But thats not the end. I also make up what i like to call SHUT IT! sauce. My father-in-law and certain other family members like hot food and always rib me for not ever accomodating their tastes so one fine day i got a bright idea to buy some jalapenos, serranos, and some habaneros. i washed them real good and lay them on the smoker next to the briskjet to 'smoke til softened'. Usually takes about an hour to an hour and a half. Take em off, pull the stems off and puree them in the blender, makes a smoked peppersauce you cant even smell without crying. This puree I cut into a small bottle of my BBQ sauce mix and make SHUT IT! My father-in-law describes it as having to pay the price for delicious food. He loves it, but sweats and sniffles thru his whole sandwich. It gave my brother the hiccups after one bite and Im a wiener, i drank a half gallon of milk after just taste testing it. The taste is wonderful, the heat is miserable. But its just what the doc ordered for the insanely spicy food lovers...
  18. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Looking good there, Josh... I've never sliced, poked etc my brisket until it's time to eat, but I'll have to try that one the next one.

Crpdeth
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Smells good let me see what it looks like when finished
  20. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

good gravy ! this is excellent camel would be excellent done this way , Emu too i think

more to try more to do , you folks make life so dang busy ;) .. thanks eh