How to make your own bullets?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Jan 12, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

I would like to make my own bullets.

If any body could list what I would need I would appreciate it greatly.

I know I need a sizer/lubricator, but which brand is best Saeco, RCBS, Lyman,????????? which one?????
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay Frosty, you want an open can of worms, here goes.

You need an electric furnace, bottom pour preferably. Lyman makes both 10lb and 20lb ones. Take your pick.

You'll need a good supply of #2 lead alloy or wheel weights from your local tire guy. I prefer wheel weights. Nice ans strong.

Lube/sizer. I have the Saeco, but whichever you choose, make sure it has a heated base for the lube. Make sure it also has provisions for seating gas checks.

Molds. I prefer 4 cavity as it saves time. I also do not like the Lee aluminum molds. I prefer RCBS or Lyman. You'll also need mold handles for the molds.

You will need a good sturdy box to drop the bullets into after molding along with one of Mama's old bath towels to cushion the fall. You will need an ingot mold for cleaning and storing your lead ingots.

When you melt wheel weights, the clips will float so you need something to fish them out with. Again, ask Mama for an old table spoon. This will also be used to flux the metal.

Get a can of "Marvalux" from Midway for fluxing. Beeswax is too smokey.

Good pair of leather gloves to mold with. Plastic safety glasses to mold with along with a hat. Long sleeve shirt is highly recommended.

A bench you can move outside to do this. Molding indoors is not conducive to good health due to lead fumes. I use the garage, but I have two fans blowing the fumes outside.

A copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Read thuroughly before attempting to do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.
  3. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

I'm thinking peanuts & corn? lol ;)

However, I susspect inplano's recipe is best! :D
  4. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

I recomend Lyman and RCBS bullet moulds too, but Lee moulds have been pretty good for me...and cheaper too.

Also, save a bucket of money by buying Lee 10 or 20 pound lead melting pots. They have little handles for activating the pour spout to the mould.

If you don't mind screwing around with auction sites like ebay you can save another bucket of money there by buying used but good stuff. I have bought a lot of very good reloading equipment from ebay.

Good luck on casting and like Rick said, be safe doing it.

Jim
  5. bompa

bompa New Member

Or you can do like a fellow I knew that melted his lead on the kitchen stove..Nothing I would recomend doing as it would get the better half rather p#$$ed.. Besides messing up the stove and stinking up the house..
    If you decide to cast your own have fun but be carefull,that molten lead makes some wicked burns...
  6. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Danger, if one melts and cast lead inside your house, the fumes are poison to the human system or any animal...you can die from it...people have.

Jim :(
  7. bompa

bompa New Member

Irate wives are also dangerous..