How to order boomsticks online.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by charagrin, May 13, 2007.

1. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

I am interested in ordering some guns through a few different online dealers. Im not sure what is needed to get them online. Usually I get the money and my grandmother and she puts her name to whatever takes my fancy. Im just not sure what is needed to order online.

It is through either J&G Sales, or Classic Arms. Im not 100% sure which gun I want yet. I was looking at a few shotty's and a CZ-52. I know I need a FFL dealer, but will he order the guns for me and everything for a fee? Or do I just get a copy of his FFL and do it myself? . I was hoping for a detailed step-by-step on what to do.-Char
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

charagrin:

In my state (CA) I can call the out of state dealer and buy the gun, if it is a Curio and Relic (C&R). he holds the gun until I have my local FFL dealer send the selling dealer a copy of his FFL via snail mail. It has to be a copy of the dealers FFL with a new signature on the copy (no reproduced signature, but your dealer knows this, I'm sure). The selling dealer sends the pistol to the local dealer via overnight (FEDX, I believe.... overnight required by BATF). You pay the dealer and jump through all the hoops required locally in your state (DROS, etc), wait if required, then take you gun home.

An alternative is to get the dealer to order the gun after you pay him. But no matter how you do it dealers get fees to do all of this. With some dealers it makes more financial sense for you to buy the gun and him act as an agent of the BATF and just charge you for that. With other dealers it makes sense to get him to buy the gun and you pay his pricing for the gun (markuped for the cost of doing business). FFL holders are required by the BATF to offer these services. If your dealer does not, call the BATF.

LDBennett
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    By this I am guessing you are a minor or for some reason cannot buy the guns. IF a minor, I hope yopu know tehre is some guns, mostly handguns, you still cannot legally own even IF you gardian buys them for you. Now if for some otehr reason you cannot own them, legal reasons, your grand mother is committing straw sells which could land her in hot water. IF you are in the service and over seas, that is a totally different matter and she can buy for you as a present so to speak. Now as to buy from On-line distributers, what you see is dealer prices. I as a dealer will not handle a trans action at my cost (me making nothing from the deal) so you can buy at my cost thus basically bypassing me. I pay the $300 dollars, passed all the checks, and pay the fee to renew my FFLs each 3 years so as to sell fire arms as a living, it would be money down the drain if everone could buy on line without having FFLs to those of use who are FFL holders IMHO. You can expect a FFL holder to charge you from $25 to $100 to handle the transaction, that is $25 to $100 ABOVE what it costs to get the firearm to the dealer.
    Without more info on the situation as to WHY your grand mother puts her name on teh fire arms, I cannot provide much more info. I will say this, IF a minor, best check your state/local and federal laws as to WHAT you can legally have as a minor. IF you cannot buy due to legal issues, I would not want my grand mother in prison for making straw purchases. IF in the service, you can buy on line through a LOCAL FFL holder in your grand mother's area BUT do not expect the FFL holder to do so for free. he has top make money to justify the initial cost of his FFLs, his bills as a dealer, and his renewal fees. he also MUST abide byany local, state, and federal laws as to what can or cannot be sold in your area and to whom it can be sold to.

Not tryying to be a smart azz but trying to explain some basic rules tha we all FFL holders MUST abide by.
  4. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

I am 17 years old and live with my grandmother and grandfather. Aside from my age there isnt anything stopping me from getting a firearm. In ME you have to be 18 to own a longarm and 21 to own a pistol or anything requiring a special license. -Char
  5. jekyll

jekyll New Member

Your safest bet, as many state laws vary, is to contact one of your local FFL dealers and get the details. You may also be able get a copy of your state and local laws online.
  6. Havoc

Havoc New Member

It sounds like you'll have to wait Char unless one of your grandparents is interested in buying.

I just bought a CZ-452 LUX online. First you contact a local FFL dealer and give him your info including the weapon make/model and the online store's FFL Fax Line. You can ask at any gun store if they know of a local FFL dealer. The fee was $35 for this one. I haven't taken delivery yet, so I'm not sure if I've seen all the fees.

So then you order your weapon online and fill in the info for the local FFL dealer (name, address, tele#...). They will get the order and match it to the fax. Once the local dealer gets the gun, they call you.
  7. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

Cool, Im gonna put a order in for a Taurus model 62-Char