how to put top back on my walthers ppk

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by donq69, Mar 14, 2012.

1. donq69

donq69 New Member

I took the top of gun and don't know how to put it back can someone explain how
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome donq69!

To put the slide back on the frame, first make sure that the safety is in the ON position.

Then pull the front of the trigger guard down from the frame and gently push it to one side so that it does not move back upwards.

Slip the slide over the end of the barrel and pull back until the slide skips over the end of the frame and engages ( or catches onto) the frame.

This should put the gun back into working condition.

also here is a video that i think will help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlUsslh45Q&feature=player_embedded
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Safety in OFF position. I'm not sure whether it can even be done with the safey ON or not, but with it in OFF the hammer stays back. You are not attempting to compress the hammer spring, along with the recoil spring when either stripping or putting it back.
  4. twobit

twobit Active Member

Then pull the front of the trigger guard down from the frame and gently push it to one side so that it does not move back upwards.

^^^^^^^ I bet that is the part he is forgetting to do.

I've had a PPK/S for over twenty years. It always seems to bite me or pinch me anytime I disassemble or assemble it. Just the nature of it, I guess.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I find it much easier to hold the gun in the right hand, pull the trigger guard down with the left hand and hold it to the side with the right index finger, then remove/replace the slide with the left hand. I know the books say to just push the trigger guard to the side, but the darn thing will jump back and in (pinching something anatomical) at the slightest provocation if it is not held.

Jim
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

And one very common error is putting the recoil spring in backward.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

One end is tight on the barrel; that end goes on first, toward the back. The loose end goes to the front. Reversing things causes failures to feed.

Jim
  8. donq69

donq69 New Member

Thank you everyone that did the trick